Book Review - The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson


June 4, 2017


   I'm going to be thinking about this story for a long time, trust me. I'm SO glad that I read it!

Book Review - The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson - Header Image

 4 1/2 Stars

   Going through all of the posts that shouted out 'I can't wait to read The Girl Who Could See!', I always assumed that it was a traditionally published novel. I mean, look at that cover! No one has room to blame me xD. And then I requested it at the library, and it said that it was a novella, and I learned from another blogger that it was self-published. Both of which may or may not have shocked me, but I still had very high hopes for this eye-candy book.

   I was not disappointed in the least.


 - The concept of the story itself. The back cover had me hooked from the start! And my sister (Ariel), who never very rarely reads books like this, was so intrigued by the back cover blurb that she read it, too. And she'll probably rave over it in the comments. Now there's the mark of a good book xD.
   But seriously - the concept was amazing. An imaginary friend that has been with her since she was eight, and who might not be as imaginary as she thought he was? Epic - and the plot was also incredible, so put the two together and you have a five-star story!


"... I open my mouth and force my voice to remain calm and steady. I hope my words are convincing - they have to be. "I know about the incident, Agent Barstow, because my friend warned me" Throat dry, I look away. "My imaginary friend.""




   - The ending. I'm extremely picky about endings in books - a whole star will probably be docked if the ending isn't satisfactory. And the ending of The Girl Who Could See was amazing. Kara Swanson wrote the ending of the book wonderfully, and I LOVED it. So good. <3 

   - The book was simply amazing. Sometimes you can't say any more than that, but it's honest-to-goodness true. The Girl Who Could See was an awesome book, and I pretty much read it in one sitting. And then I gave it to my sisters so that they could read it and we could all flail over it together xD. The plot was very unique, the characters were amazing, I LOVED the conclusion. Everything was just good.

   Okay, I gotta stop before this gets long xD. 


   - It did get a little confusing sometimes. Though, honestly? I think that was just me, and I wasn't that bothered by it. There were just a few instances where I had to backtrack to make sure I knew what was going on. But that's fairly normal for me, in any book - because I have the memory (and apparently the brain power?) of a goldfish xD. 

   - I wish it was longer! The Girl Who Could See was absolutely awesome as a novella, but I can't help but wish that it was longer! But, despite the fact that I would love love love to have seen more of Fern's story (and I think The Girl Who Could See had room for so much more), it did fit very well into its novella-sized package. It was a lovely story. <3

   ANYWAYS. Needless to say, The Girl Who Could See was quite a wonderful book! Amazing plot, epic characters, great conclusion - this was quite a treat, and in such a tiny package (it's adorable, by the way - I want to buy it)! I'd recommend it to any and all (well, not younger readers, probably thirteen and up) fans of the speculative fiction. Go and pick it up. You won't regret it xD.  




- From The Back Cover - 

Cover of The Girl Who Could See, by Kara Swanson
 All her life Fern has been told she is blind to reality—but, what if she is the only one who can truly see?
  
   Fern Johnson is crazy. At least, that's what the doctors have claimed since her childhood. Now nineteen, and one step away from a psych ward, Fern struggles to survive in bustling Los Angeles. Desperate to appear normal, she represses the young man flickering at the edge of her awareness—a blond warrior only she can see.

   Tristan was Fern's childhood imaginary hero, saving her from monsters under her bed and outside her walls. As she grew up and his secret world continued to bleed into hers, however, it only caused catastrophe. But, when the city is rocked by the unexplainable, Fern is forced to consider the possibility that this young man is not a hallucination after all—and that the creature who decimated his world may be coming for hers.




~ Savannah Grace 


   What do you think of the cover for The Girl Who Could See? Does the back cover blurb make you want to read it? 

41 comments :

  1. Um...GIVE ME THIS STORY RIGHT NOW, PLEASE AND THANK YOU. That cover! That synopsis! GAH. I needs it precious. <33

    And can I just say how much I love your blog? Like, sometimes I just sit here and stare at it because it's so beautiful and clean and organized. EEPS. Totally random, but I wanted to tell you that. ;) (OH and that photo at the beginning? OMW. *drools over the gorgeous*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hands it to you* I would buy it for the cover alone, because GOOD GRACIOUS it's gorgeous! <3 And then, you know, because it's also a good story xD.

      Thank you so much, Glitter Queen! Seriously, that made me grin so big, girl <3. (and THANKS AGAIN! Ariel always helps me with my book pictures - I set them up and hold the book, and she snaps it. She's great like that :D)

      Delete
  2. I want to read this book so badly. Oh my goodness I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely do - I think you'd love it! *sends you to the nearest bookstore*

      Delete
  3. I bought this one on kindle and I can't wait to read it :) My TBR is huge, but it's on there and I can't wait to read it. *realizes she already said that*

    Anyway: thanks for the glowing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you did? Good for you, Faith! You'll have to tell me what you thought of it once you get to it ;). Thanks for reading, girl <3.

      Delete
  4. *FLAIL* THAT COVER. It's so amazing. I keep seeing it around the place and ahhh it's beautiful. Definitely the best self-published cover I have EVER seen. AND AHEM EXCUSE ME that synopsis also. SUCH A COOL CONCEPT. Like, imaginary heroes that are actually real maybe?? PLEASE GIVE THIS TO ME. *goes scrambling around for some spare money and time to get this book*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Definitely the best self-published cover I have EVER seen" - I definitely agree! It's so, so beautiful. I need to figure out who did the cover for The Girl Who Could See, because they've got serious talent. And YOU NEED TO READ IT, PRILL! It's such a cool book.

      Delete
  5. This sounds FASCINATING. You're making me want to read it! It sounds so. . . unique.
    One question: why would you say thirteen and up? Just wondering about the content. I've seen really great reviews for books before, and then had to stop reading them because I wasn't comfortable with the content, so I just wondered if you could give me a heads up?
    Great review--I was quite excited when I saw you'd posted! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely unique, but I LOVED it because of that.

      I'd say thirteen and up because the main character has a difficult past, which *SPOILERS* deals with her having been in a lab for three years when she was eight and her parents left her, and though she's nineteen when the books starts, it's still plays a good part in the story, and I wouldn't hand it to a younger kid *SPOILER ENDS*. I think you might be okay with it? You could have your parents take a look at it if you're not sure.

      Thanks, Hanna! I love promoting other people's books :D.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. Sounds like I would be fine. I should ask my parents what they think of me giving it a try. . . You said it was at the library? 'Cause it's not like I already have two books requested right now or anything. *cough* #bookwormproblems

      Delete
  6. WOW THAT COVER THO. And haha, you know the book is good when you want more of it! :P This story sounds really awesome -- like you said, the concept is so intriguing! Haha, I get confused by SO many things in books. XD Glad you enjoyed this, and I loved your review! <3

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The cover is what caught my eye in the first place (which means that COVERS ARE IMPORTANT, PEOPLE).

      I read the concept and was like " drat, wish I had thought of that story idea!". But Kara Swanson pulled it off so well that I was quite happy reading her take on the imaginary-friend-turned-maybe-not-so-imaginary, so there's that xD.

      Thanks for reading, May!

      Delete
  7. COUNT ME IN ON STORIES ABOUT IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!! Now I'm intrigued by that ending-- most people will say, "It's great, and move on," but not talk about how it ended. You have me curious. :D

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    P.S. I sent you an email about something you asked about. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find more stories like this - I loved the idea behind The Girl Who Could See! I, for one, happen to be amazingly picky about book endings - and I was especially pleased with this one because I ruined it for myself (ON ACCIDENT, I DIDN'T MEAN TO) and yet I still liked it. So bonus points to this story xD.

      (awesome, thank you so much! I'll check it out ;))

      Delete
  8. Wow, awesome review!! I'm glad it wasn't a book that disappoints. =D You guys have been flailing 'bout it ALL. DAY. xD
    Jaidyn Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaidyn! The Girl Who Could See was an awesome book - it'll be fun once you're old enough to read it!

      Delete
  9. I really want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OHHHHHHH ME OK WHOEVER IS READING THIS NEEDS TO PICK UP THIS BOOK ASAP. K?? K GOOD. xD
    But TRISTAN. *hugs him* HE'S MY FAVORITEST CHARACTER IN THE WHOLE BOOK AND NOPE I WON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT HIM GO READ ABOUT HIM YOURSELF.
    And just UGH I loved this story so much and the cover is goals and justjustjust you can't even comprehend the awesomeness of this story till you read it.
    THE END.
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you were going to have to come and rave about the book - it was so fun being able to read it with you and Sky xD. Especially because we got to flail and squeal together and WHAT is more fun than that? *highfive*

      Delete
  11. Oh my golly gosh! This sounds so amazing! I used to have imaginary friends, and an idea like this is just...wow. It wasn't just the blurb either: what you said about it makes it sound even better. And the cover is just so neat! <3
    I WANT THIS BOOK. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the strong tendency to squeal about books I like, don't I? xD But I'm so glad that this made you interested in The Girl Who Could See! It's an epic book and TELL ME what you thought of it if you read it!

      Delete
  12. This looks like a FABULOUS BOOK! *goes off to add it to Goodreads tbr-pile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gives you thumbs-up for adding it to your tbr* :D

      Delete
  13. Throat dry, I look away. "My imaginary friend."------Whwaaaaa?!?
    Wow, I want to read this. Lol
    That cover is SO cool. It sounds kinda creepy..........Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS kind of creepy at times, but I adored it nonetheless! :D

      Delete
    2. Lol!
      I LOVE the cover.

      Delete
  14. Now I want to read it. Hopefully its at my library. *crosses fingers*
    Your review was amazing, too. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to request that my library buy it, but I'm super glad that they agreed to!
      (thank you so much! I tend to be worried that my reviews are boring, so that's good to hear ;))

      Delete
    2. THEY AREN'T BORING. I LOVES THEM. <333
      -Ariel

      Delete
  15. I've heard about it recently. I hope it's as good as it's said to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posts about it have been going up everywhere - I hope it doesn't disappoint!

      Delete
  16. This is a self-published novella???? O___O I HAD NO IDEA. I mean, DAT COVER. And everyone has been raving so much over it! Although, I have to say, I'm a little sad to hear it's just a novella. I'd much rather full stories. BUT STILL. THIS STORY SOUNDS SO AMAZING. I mean, an imaginary friend who is REAL? Every writer's dream!

    I NEED DISSSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW - isn't it incredible? I don't think I would ever have known it was self-published if I hadn't been told! I need to find out who did the cover for The Girl Who Could See ...

      YES, get it! I think you'd love it - and even if you didn't, it's pretty enough to just use it as a prop in bookish pictures xD.

      Delete
  17. AAHHH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD!!!! I've heard a lot about this book, and I cannot wait to read it!

    Oh, and you've been tagged. =) http://www.notebooksandnovels.com/2017/06/the-voices-of-ya-tag.html

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD READ IT - consider this your latest recommendation from me xD.

      (thanks, Micaiah! I've actually already done that tag, but it was SUPER fun reading your rendition of it!)

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I always get disappointed when a good book is super short too.😂 Sign of a good story when we want more, right?! And that cover is super gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUP except when bookdragons want more of a book, sometimes they go a little ballistic. I can get dangerous xD. Thanks for reading, Cait!

      Delete
  19. awesome review! <3

    i have a terrible memory too, lol! the only way i can 100% know what's happening in a book is if i read the whole thing in one sitting...which almost never happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Audrey! Thanks for commenting ;).

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.