Silmarillion Awards 2017 - Strangest Character Voting


July 10, 2017


   The nominations round for the Strangest Character Silmarillion Awards have ended! The dozens and dozens of nominations and seconds have been tallied, and now it's time to bring you the top five strange characters that will be moving onto the voting round.

   Ready?


   The top five strange characters are ...


- Peet from The Wingfeather Saga -

   Peet is a peculiar character who wears socks on his hands (earning him the title Peet the Sock Man) with the habit of turning random somersaults and cartwheels - and he lives in his own wooden castle in the trees, complete with rope bridges and ladders. And Peet's quirky way of mixing up his words when he speaks definitely helps earn him the definition of "strange character" ... 

   "Worried? Not at all, young Wingiby." He pointed through the nearest window and the children could see three nearby trees whose branches were charred and leafless in places. "I've burned down my castle three times before, and I've always survived. I'm not borried a wit. Worried a bit." He went back to stirring the pot. "But this time I figured out the problem, see, problem, see, problem, see," he sang with a wink. "Rocks. See these rocks? They don't catch fire. Nope." He coughed and for the first time noticed the smoke filling the room. "Eeep!" he cried. He tugged a piece of twine that dangled from the chimney tube, and smoke slowly cleared. "Open the flue, open the flue, open the flue for me and for you." 
   Janner began to rethink his opinion of Peet. He was as crazy as a moonbird.
          
  - On The Edge Of The Dark Sea Of Darkness by Andrew Peterson -

   - Winter from The Lunar Chronicles -

   The stepdaughter of Queen Levana, Princess Winter can see her castle's walls dripping blood when no one else can - among other things. But while seeing strange things scares her, Winter isn't about to let it crush her feisty, peppy personality. Not only is she one of the strangest characters in the series, Princess Winter is definitely one of the strongest!     

   ... I'd share a quote from the book this lovely, quirky character is from, but - would you believe it? - I don't own this book yet! And it's a shame, considering how much I love it xD.

   - Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle -

   Calcifer is a fire demon that lives in the fireplace of one Moving Castle with the wizard of Ingary, Howl Pendragon. Calficer is gruff, grumpy, and hiding a softer heart than you'd think. This tear-drop shaped fire demon is the one controlling the goings and comings of the Moving Castle, and Calcifer will do a lot of things for Howl and the people in Howl's care. But one of the things that this oddity of a character shall hate - no matter who the person is - is bending his head to be cooked upon ...  

   "Now, Calcifer," she said, "let's have no more nonsense. Bend down your head."    
   "You can't make me!" crackled the fire demon. 
   "Oh, yes I can!" Sophie crackled back, with the ferocity that had often stopped both her sisters in mid-fight. "If you don't, I shall pour water on you and take away both your logs," she added, as she got herself creakingly onto her knees by the hearth. There she whispered. "Or I can go back on our bargain, or tell Howl about it, can't I?" 
   "Oh, curses!" Calcifer spat. "Why did you let her in here, Michael?" Sulkily he bent his blue face forward until all that could be seen of him was a ring of curly green flames dancing on the logs. 
   "Thank you," Sophie said, and slapped the heavy pan onto the green ring to make sure Calcifer did not suddenly rise up again. 
   "I hope your bacon burns," Calcifer said, muffled under the pan. 

- Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones -

 - Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter -

   Luna Lovegood - known to a lot of her classmates as Loony Lovegood (but don't tell her that) - is one of the strangest (and most loved!) characters in the Harry Potter series. Almost always optimistic, very good at telling "uncomfortable truths", and with the habit of wandering dreamily about and forgetting why she is where she is, Luna has the great tendency to believe in creatures no one else has seen. And the first look that we readers get of Luna already shows us that's she's quite a oddity ...  

   The girl beside the window looked up. She had straggly, waist-length, dirty-blond hair, very pale eyebrows, and protuberant eyes that gave her a permanently surprised look. Harry knew at once why Neville had chosen to pass this compartment by. The girl gave off an aura of distinct dottiness. Perhaps it was the fact that she stuck her wand behind her left ear for safekeeping, or that she had chosen to wear a necklace of butterbeer caps, or that she was reading a magazine upside down.

- Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by J.K. Rowling - 

   - The Mad Hatter from Alice In Wonderland -

   One of the most well-remembered characters from Alice In Wonderland, the Mad Hatter had to be in the running for the Strangest Character award - he has the word "mad" in his name, after all! And mad he certainly is. The Mad Hatter, among other things, had talked to Time himself, and somehow managed to get himself stuck at six o' clock. But besides being remembered for the mad tea party that he's always throwing, that Mad Hatter was the one who made up quite a famous riddle ...   

   "It wasn't very civil of you to sit down without being invited," said the March Hare. 
   "I didn't know it was YOUR table," said Alice; "it's laid for a great more than three."
   "Your hair wants cutting," said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech. 
   "You should learn not to make personal remarks," Alice said with some severity; "it's very rude."
   The Hatter opened his eyes wide at this; but all he SAID was, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"  

   - Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll -

   So. There they are! Now, it's up to all of you to vote (using the form below) on the one character that you think deserves to win this award! You only have four days to do so, so lose no time! (you can also vote for the characters from all the other Silmaril Award categories - Most Epic Hero, Most Mischievous Imp, etc. - in the same form ;))  

powered by Typeform


   And you saw the form asking what the Silmarillion Awards Scavenger Hunt poem was, did you not? And yes indeed, we bloggers hosting the Silmaril Awards have another something special going on! You've probably seen it mentioned already; this scavenger hunt across the blogosphere for One Grand Prize To Rule Them All ...


   And to win it, you'll have to traipse across the ten blogs of us hosting the Silmarils and find the ten pieces of a poem. The piece to pick up here on Scattered Scribblings is "shining with inner, sacred fire' - click on the link to hop on over to the next blog to find another piece of the poem! (but I'm not the first stop on this scavenger hunt, and you need to have all the pieces in order to win - so I advise you hop on over to Adventure Awaits, the first blog in this chain, to start from the beginning!) You've no time to waste ;).   


~ Savannah Grace 

   One strange character to rule them all ... who do you think deserves to win the Strangest Character Silmaril?

18 comments :

  1. I'm so glad to see that most of my favorite characters made it into the nominations! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I! I was so happy that I actually KNEW all of them :D.

      Delete
  2. HOW?!?!? How can I choose between Calcifer and Luna?!?!? *falls over*

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUUUUUNN. xD I submited my form!! ;)
    Jaidyn Elise<3
    And, and I think maybe Calcifer or Mad Hatter will win. ;) *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one that loves filling in forms/surveys! ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm gonna have to vote for Luna! GEE I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHO WINS. ^_^
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was guessing you might, haha xD. I can't either!

      Delete
  5. I have to choose between Winter, Calcifer, and the Mad Hatter?????????? SOMEONE HELP ME. I'm going to literally die from indecision! *faints* (Also I really, REALLY need to read The Wingfeather books. Peet sounds fantastic! XD And it's just shameful I haven't ever read the Harry Potter books. SO MUCH TO REEEAD.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T DIE, CHRISTINE. You can do it! xD And YES, Peet is awesome! You really need to read that series (and the Harry Potter series!) so bad :D.

      Delete
  6. Choosing between my favorite characters is SO HARD, Savannah. Like, WHY.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terribly CRUEL, isn't it? *is having too much fun with this* xD

      Delete
  7. Oh, darn it. This is going to be a hard choice. Do I vote for Peet, who I love? Or Winter, who I also love? Or Calcifer, who's from one of my favorite books of all time and definitely is the actual strangest? Gah, the difficulty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. It's hard when you know multiple characters in the category :D.

      Delete
  8. You picked the PERFECT snippets, Savannah! It just makes choosing that much more difficult because it reminds me of why I love certain characters as much as I do. Oh bother, this is hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THOUGHT it might make the decisions a little bit harder for you guys - I'm nice like that xD.

      Delete
  9. This is the hardest category yet! So many great characters. Also, I love that you included quotes from each of the books in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbey! (and you have NO IDEA how hard it was to pick just one snippet out of SO MANY for each category :D)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.