Featured Creator - April // ALEA HARPER


April 20, 2018



   And its time for the first Featured Creator interview post on Inspiring Writes! It's also a very special post, because I'll be interviewing my lovely friend and graphic designer who has done the headers for this blog, both when it was Scattered Scribblings and for Inspiring Writes, and the most gorgeous mock covers ever. I'm happy to introduce you all to the incredible Alea Harper!

Featured Creator - April // Alea Harper [post title image]


A few epic Alea-things you should check out: 

Elvish Pens Fantastic Writings [blog header image]


her twitter, @alea_harper




Savannah Grace: Heya, Alea - I'm super happy to have you here today, I'm excited that we're able to do this! What are a few quirks about yourself that people might be surprised to know?

Alea Harper: Thank you so much for having me here, Savannah! Well, contrary to popular belief, English is not my best subject.  I much prefer history, probably because it’s one giant story.  English just involves a lot of essays (a.k.a. torture devices) and mediocre books (besides Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet, and Cry, the Beloved Country, which were joys to read).  Second, my room is always a mess, but I’m actually an organized person.  This probably seems like an oxymoron, but I tend to forget where I put things, so I leave out the stuff that I use a lot.  Third, I love Hallmark Christmas movies. Yes, I know they are terribly written, cheesy, and all have the same plot, but they are so addictive and adorable.  Every.  Single.  One.  So, yeah, don’t let me touch the remote at Christmastime.
 
Savannah Grace: Oh my gracious, same about the mess (and essays being torture devices xD) - I just call it organized chaos! My notebooks are always scattered everywhere, and yet I always know where each one is in the jumble. Its only when they're all cleaned up that I get confused ;D. Sometimes I think creative people live on a little bit of chaos xD. Speaking of creativity - what's your favorite thing about graphic design?


Alea: I love the trial-and-error process.  Since I design stuff using the computer, there’s always a magical undo button that gives me the freedom to try anything and everything.  Each design project is a learning experience because I get to stretch my knowledge of what is aesthetically pleasing.

Savannah: You are the MASTER when it comes to aesthetically pleasing designs, I've honest-to-goodness never been disappointed by any of the work you've done for me, whether it be blog graphics or mock-up covers! Have you designed covers for any published books? 

Alea: I’ve done quite a few, actually!  Currently, I have seven of my designs on published books and one more is coming soon!  Some of these include The Mystery of the Midnight Trespasser by Hosanna Emily, The Rizkaland Legends by Kendra E. Ardnek, and Dreamings and Musings by Daley Downing.

Savannah: Ooh yes, I ADORE the designs that you did for The Rizkaland Legends series, they fit those books so well <3. I've been meaning to finish that series for forever, and your cover designs make me want them on my bookshelf even more! Out of all the covers you've ever designed, which ones are your favorites?



Alea: This is such a hard decision!  My favorites are probably Dr. Flynn’s Shelter for Peculiar Animals by Caitlin Eha (a story on Wattpad), Neverworld (a play that I wrote), and I Am Stardust (my Camp NaNo novel).

Neverworld CoverI Am Stardust coverDr. Flynn's Shelter For Peculiar Animals cover


Savannah: And they're all stunning! My favorite is probably Neverworld, but I'm partial to Peter Pan AND the color blue, so I'm terribly biased xD. You're so talented, Alea! What are your favorite creative outlets?




Alea: Writing, watercolor, and graphic design.





Savannah: That's epic - and you're so good at all of them! I also know that you're interested in writing for film and plays (*cough* Neverworld *cough*), what inspired you to give screen writing a shot?



Alea: I’ve always loved watching and producing movies.  My first “film” was called The Spring Gem, which my dad edited using iMovie.  After that, we usually just ad-libbed our movies, which made them crazy and nonsensical, so I decided that I should probably start writing scripts for them.  Sometimes I wrote the script, and sometimes a friend would write the script.  Now, I typically write scripts for stage productions. (Sadly, not musicals because I know nothing about music.)

Savannah: Oh, gracious, same - when I was younger (read: a LOT younger) the kids in my neighborhood would get together and we'd randomly put together movies with no script and the barest semblance of a plot. We sure had a heap of fun, but BOY were those movie strange (and none of them were ever finished ;D)! Have you tried your hand at filmmaking (or anything close to filmmaking) yet?

Alea: Definitely!  When I was 8, I made my first movie with my dad and sister.  It was based on a short story I had written a couple of years prior.  Since then, my sister and I have made multiple movies which will stay buried forever. Recently, we made a few scenes from Pride and Prejudice into a movie.  It was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life because the people I worked with were extremely talented.



Savannah: "which will stay buried forever" <--- Oh dear me, I think everyone here can relate to those words xD. Okay, and now I'm curious - what's is your favorite genre to write in?


Alea: Science fiction.  When I first started writing, I thought I’d be a fantasy writer, because Lord of the Rings first got me into writing, but I gravitated toward science fiction.


Savannah: Ooh, science fiction, that's one of my absolute favorite genres <3. It's so cool that you like writing it! Okay, jumping subjects - I heard that your agent is Tessa Hall! Was she first agent that you queried? How did you get her as your agent? 
   
Asher Grey mock cover image
mock cover for my Asher Grey by Alea
Alea: So many agents and publishers rejected me before I signed with Tessa.  When I first started querying, I really had no idea what I was doing.  I also thought that my book was the most brilliant, original thing out there and that no publisher could ever reject it.  I knew that my book had flaws, but I still thought I’d be the exception to the rule.  To quote Thorin, “I’ve never been so wrong in all my life.”  At Realm Makers two years ago, I pitched my book.  I thought something would come of one of the pitch sessions, but I was rejected.  After exhausting all of my small press options, I realized I needed an agent. (Prior to this realization, I didn’t really understand that you don’t pay your agent until you sell your book, and then they take a percentage of your royalties. So, I thought I couldn’t afford an agent.)  I started finding agents on Google.  I queried and queried but always got either a rejection letter or a lack of response.  Then, Tessa posted on her blog that she was a new agent seeking clients.  I’d followed Tessa’s blog since I first began writing, so obviously I freaked out.  I knew this was God telling me not to give up hope.  That night, I prepared a book proposal and sent it off.  The next day, she responded and said she was interested.  I may or may not have shrieked and started crying because she had been a role model for me since the beginning of my career, AND she was interested in my book!  She asked me if I would be willing to add 5k words to my manuscript and I jumped right on that.  Literally, I finished the edit in 10 days (which was also my birthday!).  Then, she set up a phone call with me.  We talked on the phone for a few minutes and then she offered to be my agent!  A little while later, a signed the contract and it was official!
 
Savannah: You can never go wrong, quoting Thorin ;D. And the story of how Tessa became your agent is SO COOL, I never get tired of hearing about it! I absolutely cannot wait to see what else comes of that (when you get published I WILL SHRIEK ABOUT IT ALL OVER THE INTERNETS because I won't be able to help it ;D). Alright, one last question and then I'll let you go do some more epic creative things - who are three of your greatest inspirations, and why?

Alea: Nadine Brandes is my greatest writing inspiration because her books are incredible and she is one of the most encouraging people that I know.  Hosanna Emily is another one of my inspirations because she’s extremely wise and motivating.  Katie Grace inspires me to write more and faster because she’s a writing queen!

Savannah: Oh gracious yes, those three woman are incredible superstars (Nadine is on my list of auto-buy authors, and there's VERY FEW authors on that list ;D). It's super cool that they inspire you so much, they inspire me, too <3. Thank you so much for being here today, Alea! It was super fun to chat with you - you are an epic and talented human being. Keep being amazing! <3 

Alea Harper headshot image



Alea Harper is an aspiring author of fantasy, science fiction, and any other weird genre out there, probably because she wishes it were real.  When she isn't writing, you can find her blogging, reading, fangirling, chatting with friends, designing book covers, making a movie, or sipping tea.






   Isn't Alea just the best, you guys? If you aren't following her on social media, you need to be, she's just the sweetest person (and she surprised me last night with a mock cover for my current WIP, The Chained Circus, and I DIED, it was so gorgeous and fit the story so well <3). 

   Keeping being epic, y'all - I hope you enjoyed the interview ;).

~ Savannah Grace


have you ever made a cover for your story? (or had one made?)
go ahead and chat with Alea in the comments!

20 comments :

  1. Those covers are gorgeous! It's awesome that you have an agent.
    Great post Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, this is epic!! I love the covers she's made. <3

    Great post, Savannah!

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, this is so cool! Alea, I feel like I've seen your name SOMEWHERE in the blogosphere, but it's great to finally "meet" you! I love that mock cover you made for Asher Grey. All the heart eyes.

    Nadine Brandes is on my auto-buy list too, Savannah, and I've only read A Time to Die so far! <3

    And congrats on signing with an agent, Alea! I hope the road to publishing goes really well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I follow your blog. Nice to meet you too! Thank you so much!

      Isn't she such an incredible writer?

      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. You do? Welp, sorry for forgetting! XD

      Nadine is amazing! (I love her Instagram too. She's so sweet!)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for interviewing me, Savannah! You came up with so many fun questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this interview--so neat to hear about how you got your agent! I'm looking to try to find one soon, so that'll be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I always like to hear people's publishing stories too. :)

      Delete
  6. SAVANNAH!! Such a brilliant idea to interview Alea!

    And Alea, your work is epic. You and your blog and your art have been such a huge inspirarion to me ever since I found you - and definitely inspired me in my blogging :DD

    AND I AM SO THRILLED THAT TESSA IS YOUR AGENT!! :DD

    AWESOME INTERVIEW!!

    xx lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Your comment totally made my day! I'm so glad my stuff inspires you. :)

      ME TOO!

      Delete
  7. Aw, I love these! So encouraging/challenging to hear about other creators out there! Did you come into contact with most of these people through blogs?
    Also, I don't know how you post so much--and read so many books, not even to mention how much you write! I think you're superhuman, and honestly you're an inspiration. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alea is so talented! I've seen her around on social media, but never got to really know her, so thank you, Savannah, for interviewing her! It was lovely to 'meet' you, Alea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too, Hanne! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete
  9. Those covers are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love the Dr. Flynn's Shelter for Peculiar Animals one. :) (Anything with purple...and dragons!)

    And that Asher Grey cover...

    Okay, they're all so pretty!!

    My siblings love making movies. Once they did a black and white version of a famous chess tournament...using the same chess moves and everything...it was so funny. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Aww that sounds like so much fun!

      Delete
  10. EEP. I loved this! Alea, you make the prettiest thiiiiings! I've been admiring your book covers for a while now. That "Never World" one has me drooling over here. AND IT'S A PETER PAN STORY. My obsession with Peter Pan has no bounds. Also the "Dr. Flynn’s Shelter for Peculiar Animals" cover is SO CUTE, oh my goodness.

    I absolutely loved hearing your story of how you got Tessa as your agent. It's always really encouraging hearing the success stories of fellow writers. I'm just thrilled for you!

    Nadine Brandes and Katie Grace are two of my inspirations as well. They're such amazing people!

    Thank you both so much for this interview. It was so fun and inspiring! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love everything about this interview. You've come a long way at sure a young age, Ales. its inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.