Book Review - The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater


July 4, 2018


I have done it. I have finally done it.

I have read the entire Raven Cycle by the Writing Queen, Maggie Stiefvater.

And now I don't know what to do with myself *melts into a puddle*

Book Review - The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater [post title image]



Overall Series Rating: 4 Stars

The rundown:

The Raven Boys: 4.5 Stars
The Dream Thieves: 4 Stars
Blue Lily, Lily Blue: 4 Stars
The Raven King: 3.5 Stars

My good gracious, you guys - when I said I didn't know what to do with myself, I meant it. I just finished this series last night and I HAS FEELS. Lots of feels. Very confused feels. My feels are slain. JUST FEELS. Okay, we better get onto the review before I pass out right here and now. 

From The Back Cover

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater cover image
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.




the epic stuff
The Raven King and Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
- The Raven Boys and Blue. Basically all the characters. ALWAYS THE CHARACTERS. But seriously - the characters in The Raven Cycle are some of the best I've ever read. I love them so much I CAN'T *flailing*. I loved the characters in The Scorpio Races (you guys have probably heard me scream about that before) but the Raven Boys and Blue are on a whole different level. I could probably write any entire post JUST SCREAMING about my love for these characters. They just felt so REAL and I loved them all so much! I can't, you guys, I can't <3 <3 <3.

- Henrietta and 300 Fox Way. Because I simply ADORED the setting for this story (honestly I could have mentioned a lot more places than just Fox Way and Henrietta but #spoilers and we'd be here all day), it was absolutely perfect and I would die to spend a day at 300 Fox Way. The feel of it was PERFECT and the characters fit into it so well, and I haven't seen a setting this unique that felt so REAL for some time. Many many points to The Raven Cycle for this <3. 

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
- The emotions. The Raven Cycle definitely packed a massive punch in this area. Like, I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD at a few parts (murder squash song and 'He threw me out the window!' for those of you who've read the series - among other parts xD), and I just don't normally do that with books? And then in the next chapter I'd be curled in a smol ball of sobs and melting-ness. MY HEART. IS JUST. I don't know you guys I don't know what to do *flees*.

- THE PROSE. But it's a Stiefvater book so #EXPECTED. But my gracious, Maggie Stiefvater absolutely outdid herself. She does things with words that make the story a whole different animal from what it would have been had someone else written it. It's incredible. It's like magic. <3 <3 <3   

- The pure genius of it all. This series blew my mind. That is all, the end.

*mic drop before I ramble for another three days, because I REALLY, REALLY COULD*

any dislikes?


The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
- So. Much. Language. My word, you guys, out of all the books I've read in all my life, this book has the worst language. And there's a lot of it. F-bombs make multiple appearances. But I kinda-sorta trained my brain to either replace or skip straight over the swear words, which made it less terrible, but I could have done without it.

- A certain development in book four. I am not one to completely skip over pages in books - but I completely skipped over a few pages in The Raven King. The fact that Adam and Ronan got into a gay relationship in the fourth book was...awkward...and extremely annoying. It wasn't a massive part of the story, but it was still there, which resulted in me skipping straight over a few uncomfortable pages. Flat-out didn't read them at all. Which made it easier to pretend that it had never happened xD. If not for this, the fourth book in this series probably would have snagged four stars, but alas I had to knock it down *smol tears*.
final thoughts
The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Oh, gracious. My feels are still spinning, how on EARTH am I supposed to give any 'final thoughts?' (they would mostly sound like "AJSGLJAGSLJG *dies*"). Guess I should try though, huh...

The Raven Cycle was a mystical, beautiful series (albeit with some issues that messed up the final book for me), with some of the most real characters and the most real settings and the most real emotions that I've ever read. I don't know how much I would actually recommend it, mostly just for stuff in the fourth book and swearing (and the fact that this series isn't the cleanest), but if I was to recommend it, it would be for ages 16+ who don't mind taking bad with the good. THE CHARACTERS ARE JUST THE BEST. I've already got book hangover, and I probably will for some time ;D.

Excelsior.

~ Savannah Grace 

have you ever read The Raven Cycle? or any Steifvater books in general?
chat with me, friends! <3 (and happy 4th to my American readers!)
 

18 comments :

  1. Awesome review! I don't think I'm going to read this for exactly the reasons in your Dislike section, but it does sound like it has beautiful parts, and Maggie Stiefvater's writing... I mean, I've only read The Scorpio Races by her, but I LOVED IT and I'm gonna read All The Crooked Saints very soon!! Her style is just... <3

    Awesome review. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES, read All The Crooked Saints! It's definitely different from The Scorpio Races, but I LOVED IT. It was such a beautiful book! You'll have to let me know what you thought of it once you read it ;). I hope you enjoy it! <3 <3

      Delete
  2. ISN'T IT INCREDIBLE???!!! And I skipped the same pages you did *ahem* and pretended that they were just real good friends lol. If it wasn't for that, and the swearing (though I barely even notice it in books now), The Raven Cycle would be flawless. It makes you understand Blue saying that she was a little bit in love with all of them. #same. Also, I want to be BFFs with Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GRACIOUS YES IT IS. And yeppity yep, I just...yeah, skipped those pages. Very good friends, they are xD. Yas, #same. And AAAHHH YES, BLUE IS JUST THE BEST I LOVE HER SO MUCH. So much love for ALL the characters awk <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  3. Great review, Savannah! And now I really want to reread the Raven Cycle... :D IT'S JUST SO GOOD! The characters are probably my favorite thing of the entire series..like you said, they're just so real! And the prose *heart eyes*. Maggie Stiefvater is amazing.

    IF ONLY there wasn't so much language and that #issue in the final book! oh well :P

    AND Stiefvater is currently writing a sequel trilogy! It's centered around Ronan, and his dream-ability. I can't wait till it comes out :))

    Awesome review, Savannah! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that I've ever read any of Maggie Stiefvater's books, but after hearing you rave over how good they are, I might give them a shot. The covers are so pretty, too. Great review!

    ~True

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, I've been trying to write one for a year. I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts together. I love this series so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SO WISH THESE WERE CLEANER. D': I've been wanting to read them for AGES. I just know I'd love them. But when I first learned there was so much language and stuff, I decided I don't really want to put up with that. I get so annoyed with books overcome with language. Bleeergh. That makes me sad!

    I DO want to read All the Crooked Saints at least though, because I hear that one is one of her cleaner novels. 'Cause I NEED a Stiefvater read in mah life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Crooked Saints is SO clean. <3 I really hope you love it, Lauri! <3

      Delete
  7. I've heard so many good things about this series. I have the first two sitting on my shelf waiting to be read XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. AH, YES! I LOVED this series!!! Who is your favorite Raven boy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I want to read this one so bad. :( I just wish there wasn't so much language...I might try to wade through it but we'll see how it goes. :P So glad you loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, Savannah! I’ve heard great things about this book series. I may end up not reading the final book because of the, um, issue there, but I might have to try it.

    Honestly, I’ve only read one Stiefvater book, and it was the first book in her werewolf series. I absolutely HATED it. But I might have to give her other books a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So reading this I decided I needed some Stiefvater writing in my life and promptly borrowed The Scorpio Races and All the Crooked Saints (also I got a few recommendations for this on Goodreads) from the library. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This review is SO good! I've been searching for a decent review of this series for what feels like forever, and FINALLY I HAVE FOUND IT. A DECENT REVIEW. *flings cookies at your face* Thank you so much!! I'm not sure if I'm going to take the plunge and read this series yet, though... I've been dying to because 've heard so much hype and good stuff about it, but....the language... And the other...ahem....stuff. I want to read it eventually, but bad language really affects me, so I might skip it for now... :((

    But again -- this review was outstanding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unpopular opinion: I didn't like it. *winces and hides from storm of fangirls* I read the first book ... two years ago? And I just ... I didn't like it. I felt like maybe I was missing something, because so many people have raved over them. I will say, though, it was a memorable book. I remember it really well, which I don't do with all books. I just didn't really like it and felt kind of stupid for not getting it. I think all the hype might have set my expectations too high, and the book just wasn't for me. I got kind of miffed with the ending though, cause it really confused me and I actually had to go and look up a synopsis of book 2 in order to figure out what had happened XP So overall, I FELT VERY STUPID XP But it's really interesting to me that a book I disliked is adored by so many. I might read it again someday just to give it another try, or maybe to examine what makes everyone love it so much. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! (I didn't know about Ronan and Adam o.o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read the first two books in the series, though I do have the third to read soon. I . . . am still not sure how I feel about this series? The idea is genius, but I don't agree with so much of the stuff in the book (and my tolerance is pretty high). I do plan on reading the rest of the series though!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.