Highlights of July and August 2018


August 28, 2018


   Well, both July AND August have flown past - so I'm combining both my highlights post to save myself time (*cough* and stress *cough*), because school is starting up again and if I'm not busy, I don't know who is.

   But ANYways, who wants to hear the crazy that went on for me in the last two months? (I may have thrown a couple extra Realm Makers pics into this post that you haven't seen yet ;))






Well, Realm Makers for one ...

(photo credit Mary Weber and Deborah O' Carroll


... but I've already talked your ear off about all of that, so ;D. If you haven't read my mile-long recap post yet, you can find it over here!

Other than RM, I've fallen headlong into art-ing! I'd kind of done it on and off just for fun before, but I've been slightly more serious about it lately ;D. I've finally quit using only gel pens for this, and decided to give mechanical pencils a shot. And I love them. But I still ban myself from using erasers while art-ing, because otherwise I would never get anywhere xD. And I've started tampering with digital art, too, and have found that it is quite fun!

Sassy little unicorn. I fully approve of it. xD 

 A book quote - comment if you know the book it's from!


Yup, so there are some of my recent attempts ;D. I also finally (FINALLY) reorganized my bookshelf, which I've been meaning to do for a long time. It still needs some tweaking, but my pretty-book-loving-heart is happy! I've been using the shelves in my bedroom for most all the blog pics, but I'm planning to switch to using this shelf after I get the nitty-gritty details smoothed out ;).

Also I started senior year. And I will be 18 in two weeks-ish. Whut even has the world come to O.O 

OH, my gracious - SO MUCH has happened here, y'all! Let's see if I can keep this section from growing to gigantic proportions. (this might actually not be a problem, because July and August flew by so fast that I've forgotten half of what happened ;D)

I'm now the creative writing columnist for Pursue Magazine! It's a position I've wanted for awhile, so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm also the new submissions manager for the publishing house Illuminate YA, which I'm also super stoked about.

I got my first email from an agent! It wasn't massive news or anything (you can message me in Google Hangouts or my Contact if you want to know what the email said, but I'd rather not post it here ;)), but as I didn't expect any reply AT ALL I was basically on cloud nine all the live-long week :D. If you haven't queried an agent out of fear, PUT THAT FEAR ASIDE AND DO IT. It'll be worth it for the experience alone...and you might get a good reply even if you don't expect one at all ;).

I also finished the first round of editing for Forgotten and sent if off to alphas, which was a huge stepping stone for me. I'm excited about this story, and I"m hoping to have the second round of edits done in a few weeks-ish so that I can ship it off to betas and then get it to the agents who've requested it. (so a beta call may be coming around the end of September)

I also wrote multiple pieces of flash fiction, and a couple short stories. Both the short stories need editing, but I already know where I'm going to submit them, so I'm trying to truck away at them ;D. OH, ALSO - one of my pieces of flash fiction is going to be illustrated by an incredible artist in just a couple of weeks here! The incredible Kerilynn Wilson is going to be posting the illustrated version of my flash fiction Uncharted on her blog on Sept. 7th. I'm beyond excited about it! <3

Alright, I KNOW I'm forgetting something...guess I'll just have to kick myself after this post goes up xD.



SO many good books, y'all! Many many gems were found and read this month <3.

- A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews. THIS *clap* BOOK *clap* YOU *clap* GUYS. So, so beautiful. I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when I picked up this book (because it's by our own beloved Cait who is UNPREDICTABLE and LOVES TO SURPRISE PEOPLE ;D), and it was STUNNING. I'm hoping to get a review up for this one, but for now I'll just say that if you have not grabbed this 5 star book (WHUT, 5 STARS), YOU MUST. Get thyself to a book store.

- Fawkes by Nadine Brandes. Oops look I'm talking about this book even though I told myself I wouldn't because I'm working on a review for it right now ;D. I had HIGH expectations for this book, and it fully met them all! Totally ADORED this story - I can't wait to get the review up and scream about it with y'all! But for now, I'm pinning 4.5 stars on this gorgeous thing and shoving y'all towards the nearest bookstore to buy it ;D.

- The Kneebone Boy. A very random book with a bad ending, but a great story up to the sub-par "the end"? Honestly, the prose was awesome and felt a teeny tiny bit like Stiefvater writing middle grade. It was a fun little gem to find at the library, and I definitely would have given it a higher rating except for the confusing ending. 4 stars.

- Wonder by R.J. Palacio. LOOK WHAT I FINALLY READ. If you guys haven't nabbed this book yet, you really, really should! I'd heard about it awhile back, but wasn't terribly interested. Then I decided that I might as well give it a shot, and OH MY. Loved it very much. Gobbled it up, and then read all the companion short stories for it (which were just as good). The writing style was different, but I really enjoyed it. 4 stars to this beauty.
http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/08/realm-makers-2018.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/07/book-review-raven-cycle-by-maggie.html
 
Two posts. Literally two posts in the last two months ;D. I'm sorry, you guys! I promise September will be more full. Here's a couple more Realm Makers photos to make up for the smol amount of posts (can you tell I'm just finding excuses to share more pictures? ;D)...

photo credit: Deborah

(photo credit Deborah for the pic on the left)

Y'all, if you're considering coming next year JUST. DO. IT. I promise you won't regret it :D.

Oh, also - I posted a book review of The Story Peddler by Lindsay Franklin over on Pursue magazine's website, if you're itching to find more of my ramblings ;).

- Tricia Mingerink is now offering editing services! (and at insanely low prices, too) She's an incredible author, so if any of y'all are looking for an editor, you may want to go check her out ;).

- Realm Makers wrap-ups EVERYWHERE. Let's see if I can snag y'all some links ... Deborah O' Carroll, Madeline J. Rose, Christine Smith, Rosalie Valentine, Tracey Dyck, and Jenelle Schmidt. Go check 'em out ;).

- The amazing Faith did the amazing Comp Title challenge, which was a super fun post to read. This gal is a BEAST with her writing, y'all, just you wait until she's published <3. 

-  MICAIAH SALDANA'S DEAR JAMIE, LOVE RORY WAS PUBLISHED. I'm still on cloud nine, y'all, still on cloud nine. Go check it out! Go BUY it! Treat yoself! ;D

- Danielle at Snapper, Lisa at Inkwell, Victoria at Wanderer's Pen, Abigayle at The Left-Handed Typist, Jeneca at Jeneca Writes, and Rosalie at Penprints did my Get To Know Me Tag: Writer's Edition! Go give these epic girls some love <3 <3 <3. (if you've done the tag and I haven't linked to you yet, throw me a link in the comments! <3)

- Gray did an epic post that was her character's aesthetic in song lyrics, and it was SO AMAZING that I asked her if I could pirate it and call it tag ;D. So that might be coming in the next couple weeks/months depending on whether life plays nice or not ;D. 

- AAAALLL the excitement went down when Nadine announced what her next book is going to be! Romanov sounds absolutely fantastic and I'm already counting down the days until it releases ;D. 

- Rosalie wrote an epic post called Altars of Remembrance, and it was just <3
Well, September posts will all be for a very special event - The Silmaril Awards are coming! I'll be the host for the Most Faithful Friend award this year, and I'm super excited to see who y'all pick as your winner this year ;). It's going to be an absolute blast! (I'll also try to get a blogoversary post or two up, but since that conflicts with the Awards, y'all might have to wait until October)

The Silmaril Awards starts September 3rd - go check out the official website HERE! - so make sure you don't miss it! Until then, keep being epic, my frens <3.

~ Savannah Grace 


how was your month, my friends? how's school?
have any plans for September?
pull up a proverbial chair and let's chat!

25 comments :

  1. Love this wrap-up post, Savannah! FAWKES <3 <3 love that book so much! And "A Thousand Perfect Notes"!! I have it, but I need to read it soon :))

    oh, and I did your tag! and when I pulled it up to drop the link here, I realized that I completely forgot to link your blog in it....*facepalm* I'm so sorry! anyway, here's the link:
    https://allisonriera.blogspot.com/2018/08/get-to-know-me-tag-writers-edition.html

    sounds like you had a great July/August! <3 <3

    allisonriera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya, Allison! And isn't Fawkes simply AMAZING? <3 <3 <3 Oooh, I hope you can get to A Thousand Perfect Notes soon, that book is lovely, too <3.

      *gasps* You did my tag?? Thank you, sweet girl! I'll definitely have to include that link in this month's wrap-up ;). (and you're totally fine!)

      Delete
  2. Awwwwwwww thank you for linking to my post!!!!!! <3 You're just tooo sweet.

    And wow I didn't know you'd done all that writing stuff! Sheesh, that's AWESOME! <3

    A Thousand Perfect Notes is EPIC.

    Hope you have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE WELCOME, YOUR POST WAS AMAZING <3 <3 <3.

      Thank you muchly! I had way too much fun and I was WAY too busy xD.

      100% epic *nodnod*.

      Same to you, fren!

      Delete
  3. YOU'RE AAART!!! IT IS SO PRETTY. I am in love with that sassy unicorn. XD I honestly didn't even realize you did art but OH MY GOODNESS. I love your style!

    And Savannah! SAVANNAH. You're the creative writing columnist for Pursue Magazine???? AND submissions manager for Illuminate YA?? OH MY GOOOOSH. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. Like AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! SAVANNAH YOU ARE DOING THE MOST AMAZING THINGS. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    Plus you finished the first round of editing? EEP. So exciting! And all the short stories and things and just skdjflksjldjf. I don't know how you do it. o.o YOU ARE AMAZING.

    FAAAAWKES. It was so good. I look forward to your review! :D The Kneebone Boy is something I've been eyeing for AGES. Except now I'm leery about that ending. Hm... And I MUST get my hands on A Thousand Perfect Notes. NEED!

    Thanks for linking to my RM recap post. GAH. It was so amazing! But now I just miss you and everyone else. D':

    I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THE SILMARIL AWARDS!!! It's always such a fun time! :D

    I do hope your September is an incredible one. And congrats again on all your EPIC writerly accomplishments! *throws confetti everywhere*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJSHFGLAFJLFGLJAGSJLGA THANK YOU LAURI MY DEAR. Yeah, I'm usually pretty quiet about it, but then I figured HEY I got nothin' to lose xD. YOU ARE THE SWEETEST <3 <3 <3.

      YES I AM!! I'm having so much fun with it, it's been great to get more insight into the publishing industry. And NO, /YOU/ ARE AMAZING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, CHRISTINE. <3 <3 <3

      Wasn't it awesome?? I'm hoping to get my review up in a couple weeks here! And I'd say still give Kneebone Boy a shot, but, ah ... have low expectations for the ending ;P. The rest of the book was quite good though! (BUT A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES, YES. NAB IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN)

      You're welcome!! I MISS YOU SO MUCH, I CAN'T EVEN. Hopefully I'll see you again next year! HAVE AN EPIC SEPTEMBER, MY LOVELY FRIEND <3.

      Delete
  4. Love your art! That's awesome that you got a response from an agent! I really want to go to Realm Makers after seeing everyone's post. So many books, I need to read A Thousand Perfect Notes it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Skye! And yeah, it was pretty exciting ;D. YES, PLEASE COME TO REALM MAKERS!! It would be lovely to meet you in real life - and you would have a blast! (A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES <3 <3 <3. Let me know what you think of it when you read it!)

      Delete
  5. OH MY WORD. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! So much stuff happened to you these months and I am SO EXCITED for you! You rock this writing thing. *trumpet fanfare*

    Have an amazing September, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, NICOLE <3 <3 <3. You're the best - I hope you have an incredible September, too, my friend!

      Delete
  6. WOW SO MUCH AWESOME IS GOING ON FOR YOU! Not just Realm Makers (BUT AHHHHH REALM MAKERS) but now you're the creative writing columnist for PURSUE (can't wait to read your articles! <3), the submissions manager for Illuminate YA (*confetti*), AND your flash fiction is getting illustrated?! I CANT EVEN IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU SAVANNAH! <3 *showers you with confetti and cookies*

    FAWKES YES FAWKES. I. Loved. It. So. Much. SO MUCH SO MUCH SO SO MUCH. Emma and scones and Thomas and color masks and ahaklshlfhsklfhdusklhflkshf AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

    Aw, thank you for linking to my little story. YOU ARE TOO SWEET. <3

    Stay gold, and have a great September my friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, YAS! I'm still kinda blown away, to be honest ;D. THANK YOU SO MUCH MY SWEET FRIEND <3 <3 <3. I'm really excited!

      IT WAS JUST SO BEAUTIFUL, I CAN'T EVEN. Emma was AH-MAZING, definitely one of my favorite heroines ever. I can't wait for Nadine's next book, Romanov is going to be amazing!

      YOU ARE SO WELCOME. I hope you have an epic September as well!

      Delete
  7. Your drawings are AMAZING!!

    And A Thousand Perfect Notes !! YES !!

    Also, if you ever do pirate my post I will be here ready to read it because another friend of mine did and it was so cool! :D

    AND CONGRATS FOR BECOMING A CREATIVE WRITING COLUMNIST AND A SUBMISSIONS MANGER! You are going places, my friend. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Gray! And YES to ATPN - I didn't expect to love that book so so much, but OH MY <3 <3. Wasn't it incredible??

      I'm hoping to post it sometime really soon! :D

      AAAAHHHH, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! You're the sweetest <3 <3 <3. I'll keep you guys updated on anything else that happens! ;D

      Delete
  8. I'M STILL SCREAMING OVER FAWKES THOUGH.

    Columnist. Submission manager. I CAN'T EVEN, SAVVY. THAT IS SO AWESOME. *shrieking*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE'LL NEVER STOP SCREAMING OVER FAWKES, NEVER.

      /I/ still can't even O.O - thank you so much, Prill!!!! <3

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on all those writing milestones!

    Fawkes and A Thousand Perfect Notes were both amazing! I actually bought A Thousand Perfect Notes for a friend and read the whole thing in one sitting the day after it arrived because I wanted to make sure it was something she'd enjoy it. (What? That's totally not just an excuse. What are you talking about? ;D)

    I've also done the Get To Know Me Tag. I actually added to it, because it was for my first blogiversary and I wanted to add some more milestones. :) http://rmarcher.com/2018/08/1-year-blogiversary/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, R.M.! <3

      Oh my gracious, weren't they just? And haha, that's what a great friend does! (IT'S THE PERFECT EXCUSE ;D) So glad you got the chance to read it!! I bet your friend is going to ADORE it.

      *squeals* AAAHH, YOU DID THE TAG! Thank you, lovely! I'm super glad you added to it, that's so fun! I'll check it out and link to it in my next wrap-up post. ;)

      Delete
  10. Yay! Congratulations... and so exciting about that email!!!!
    I've done the tag!

    Ellielissa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Danielle! <3 (and AAHH, you're the sweetest! I'll definitely check it out and link to it in my next highlights post ;))

      Delete
  11. Girl, that unicorn is amazing!!!

    I'm so glad you read Wonder!! I read the book a million years ago, and somehow, forgot all about it! So when the movie came out, I was able to rediscover a book that I had loved.

    A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES LOOKS AMAZING!!! I am dying to read it. Unfortunately I am currently on a self-imposed buy-ban, so I have to wait to read it still. I know it's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Evangeline! I should name it. It needs a name xD

      Oooh, I forgot about the movie! Did you enjoy it? I might need to watch it soon!

      IT IS UTTERLY INCREDIBLE. Once you're off your buy-ban (or if your library has it!) you NEED to check it out! (and then tell me what you thought of it! ;D)

      Delete
  12. *cries happy tears at ATPN being on your list* 😍😍I will FOREVER flail ahhhh you are just the sweetest of ever! And ooh good luck with starting school (and nearly being 18 😱) and QUERYING! That's huge and exciting and nerve-wracking and I hope you get some positive responses and it goes really well for you. Eeeep! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.