Book Review - Stars and Soul by Rosalie Valentine


December 6, 2018



You've probably heard me shout about this book a time or two when it released. Or seven. Or ten.

And now I finally get to review it for you!! Who wants to hear my thoughts on Stars and Soul?

4 Stars

Oh gracious, you guys - I LOVED Stars and Soul! It was such a perfectly sci-fi read, and included some of the best flash fiction I've ever read. It's also adorably tiny, so I was able to read it all in one sitting. And since it's so tiny, I'll be reviewing it story-by-story - there were four in this collection, and I enjoyed them all!

From The Back Cover 


A scheming imperial family.
A bedraggled starship captain.
A runaway artificial intelligence.
A dying general.

Four small stories of stars and soul.

“A fun, thoughtful, quick read.” – Steve Rzasa, author of The Face of the Deep series

“Rosalie Valentine needs no more than 1,000 words to send your emotions stirring.” – Nadine Brandes, author of the Out of Time series, Fawkes, and Romanov
















- That Softness. When a book starts out with a story like That Softness, you know the whole thing is going to be good. I SERIOUSLY wanted a full novel of That Softness when I finished it, it felt like there was so much more to the story of the siblings in this piece! I honestly couldn't stop thinking about this one after I stopped reading it, it was so good.  

- Captain-ish-ness. This one came very, very close to being my absolute favorite! Fallon was so relatable and I just absolutely loved her and her frazzled-captain attitude ;D. She was such a vivid character and I adored her, she totally made the entire story.

- Nothing. I love a good AI story, and Nothing was certainly one of those. It was super intriguing, and I really wanted to know what happened next! (also, can we just pause a moment to realize how amazing the names Oberon and Domino are for story characters? Thanks)
 
- Star-Rise. Oh look! And here we come to my absolute favorite story in the entire collection! Star-rise was so, SO good. I had high expectations for it going in (I blame the amazing title art ;D), and it met them in such an epic way! It was the best story with which to end Stars and Soul and I ADORED IT. <3 <3 <3
- It was so short! I guess this was to be expected, since Stars and Soul is a collection of flash fiction, but it was just so shooooooort ;D. Which did make the pacing feel a tad fast sometimes, but overall IT WAS SO GREAT and I was seriously impressed by this book of flash fiction!
Stars and Soul was such a perfect collection of gloriously galaxy-inspired stories. If you love a) flash fiction or b) short sci-fi stories (there's a tongue twister), you would love this teeny little book! (it would also make the perfect stocking stuffer for your bookworm friends!) I would definitely recommend it to y'all, I think you guys will love it.


And there are my thoughts on the amazing little collection that is Stars an Soul by Rosalie Valentine! I hope y'all enjoyed it and that YOU'RE HAVING A LOVELY HOLIDAY SEASON SO FAR <3. Keep being epic, my friends!

~ Savannah Grace 


have you read this book yet?
do you enjoy reading/writing flash fiction?
 

13 comments :

  1. Sound like a good quick read. I really want to write some flash fiction some time.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely take a shot at flash fiction, Rakayle! It's seriously SO fun - and it's quick, so you don't have to commit to it forever! ;D

      Delete
  2. AAAHHH I want to read this so badly!!! This honesty looks amazing! Great review, as always, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS AMAZING - you'll have to let me know what you think of it when you get your hands on it! (and thank you muchly! <3)

      Delete
  3. This. Collection. Sounds. AMAZING. I'm dyiiiiing to read it, especially since I've recently fallen HEAD-OVER-HEELS for flash fiction. <3

    Awesome little reviews, Savannah!

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gracious, it ABSOLUTELY is!!! And YAY, another flash fiction fan! *highfives you* Do you like to write flash fiction, or mostly just read it?

      Thanks, my friend! <3

      Delete
  4. I'm SO thrilled for Rosalie. And I neeeed this awesome little book in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME! It's such an epic book, oh my word - YES, you need it, Christine!! You would LOVE it <3

      Delete
  5. I had written a similar Inspirational Fiction novel and used usabookreviewers.com to help me with reviews and ebook promotion. Surely recommended for Indie authors though a bit pricey..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read this now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool review, Sav! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely review! I won this in Rosalie's giveaway and I'm SO EXCITED TO READ IT. ahhhHHHH. And Alea did such a good job on the cover design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, Savannah! Now I need to get my hands on this one :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.