Monthly Highlights - December 2016


December 29, 2016


   2017 is coming up at breakneck speeds and where on this good earth did time go?! *dies* I'm still telling y'all, something ate 2016.   



   December was a pretty quiet month, as far as months go (or maybe I just think it's quite because I'm comparing it to November - which was an insane month xD), but it was still amazingly fun!

   - We got our first good snow on December 3rd, which I was super excited about because I adore snow (sadly, there was no more good snows for the rest of the month *sniff* but oh well xD).

   - We made dozens of Christmas cards for friends and family + bakes trays of cookies for the neighbors. Those two things are some of my favorite parts of Christmas *nodnod*.

   - And of course, Christmas happened. We opened our presents in the morning, then all skipped off to church before coming home and preparing for the relatives to arrive. All in all, it was an epic-ly fun day that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.


   - Started the outline to turn Killing Snow into a novel. Which hopefully will be done by April because Camp NaNoWriMo (I'm writing the novel Killing Snow for Camp).
   It is very strange for me to have not only decided that I'm doing Camp, but also what I'm doing for Camp. Hopefully I'm not the only crazy one xD.
   I had a few big breakthroughs with that outline - and I guess those breakthroughs made up for a bunch of the writer's block I've been having as well *shrugs*. 

   - Okay, one thing you guys should know about me. When I get sick (normally it's when I have a cold) I want to edit. I literally want to edit more when I'm sick. No, I don't know what's wrong with me xD.
   But anyways, I was sick a couple times this month, so some editing happened. 

   *gives you a few sentences from my dragon's hoard of words* (no, these aren't some of the edited words, but they're words none the less)



+ The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman

   *squints* Well, I certainly missed the mark this month. I was hoping to read 20-something books xD. But I have a lot more books waiting to be read in January, so I guess that makes up for it.

   - The Skin Map (by Stephen R. Lawhead) Another book that Deborah O' Carroll convinced me to read (y'all might as well jump over to her book reviews blog so she can convince you to read lovely books as well xD) and I'm super glad she did! The plot was awesome, the characters were wonderful, and I'm really excited to read the second book in the series. A full 4 stars for this one.

   - Eldest (by Christopher Paolini) Okay, so I feel like I should re-read a series in order, but I play by my own rules and randomly read the second book in the Inheritance cycle the other day. It was just as epic as it was the first time I read it (no, I am totally not biased by the dragons in the book, why do you ask?). The characters are epic, it was a page-turner even though I knew what was coming, and I don't care what people may say about how the Inheritance Cycle and Stars Wars are alike - I love this series *nodnod*. 4 1/2 stars for Eldest.     

   - (books 1-4) Byways (C.J. Milbrandt) The lovely Mrs. Kinde sent us these for Christmas (thank you, friend!) and, being the bookworm I am, I devoured them in an hour xD. They're technically for kids around the age of ten (I think) but hey, who doesn't love a kids book? Especially if it's a Milbrandt book - I love all Milbrandt books *nodnod*. I really enjoyed these, and would give them an all-around 3 1/2 stars. 

   And I've got two reading goals for 2017 that I hope to accomplish - one that's abnormal and one that's perfectly normal.

   Normal: Read 100 books (because why not?)

   Abnormal: Read a book each month that released that month and review it (because ... why not? xD It sounded like fun, and I like to be different *nodnod*)

   So we'll see how those go - I've already got a January book and a February book planned.

  
   *pets the pretty books* *goes off to find one for March*


http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/joy-to-world_24.html
 
http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-q-vlog.html
 
http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-i-outline-from-novella-to-novel.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-snippets-tag.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/questions-for-my-q.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2016/12/book-review-once-anthology.html


   - Mary did a NaNoWriMo recap and shared some of her beautiful snippets from Moonlit Mirror

   - Olivia wrote a lovely poem about December that I really enjoyed (I read it twice and still adored it)

   - Christine finished the series she had been writing every NaNoWriMo for seven years (seven years, you guys. SEVEN) and posted about it

   - Cait posted about how she makes her Origami lucky stars (or Sauron stars, as she says they should be called) which I was happy about because now I can decorate my bookshelves with stars xD

   - Sarah posted about how to print your book with lulu and Canva, which will be super helpful whenever I print one of my books

   - Alea Harper did an epic post about writing Christan books

   - Julia printed her book and it is absolutely, epic-ly gorgeous

   - Ashlyn wrote a post for Burning Youth that might be the most powerful thing I read this month


   - I'm planning to start a series of posts on character building during January - so at least one or two posts from that will be going up next month.

   - And I'll probably be doing the second part of my vlog, too ;).(probably in very late January, because I have a cold right now and my voice isn't working xD)

   So. November was a whirlwind, December calmed things down with gentle snow and Christmas time, and January is now going to come roaring in. I'm excited to see what the new year brings!

~ Savannah Grace

   So how was your Christmas? Do you have any reading goals for 2017?

25 comments :

  1. What's in the reading world for me right now is reading all the books I got for Christmas. I got The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Unfinished Tales, AND The Silmarillion (and I'm SUPER excited #geek), not to mention two novels. So I'll be busy! Beyond that, I've only really thought about writing.

    Oh my gosh, you need to post about character building! IT WILL BE SO EPIC. Your characters always blow me away, I can't wait to hear more about how you write them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. That Killing Snow Prequel snippet. . . !! SAVANNAH GRACE, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO MY FEELS HERE?!?! I definitely want to read this.

      Delete
    2. *gasps* So many Tolkien books! I'll have to see if they're at the library, so I can read them, too xD.

      YES, I'm planning to! The first post in that series should go up during the first half of January - I'm super excited to see how it goes over *nodnod*.

      YOU'RE WELCOME xD. And YES you'll definitely get to read it - once it's ready for beta readers ;).

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great month! I got very little reading done and my only reading goal for 2017 is to finish both Samara's Peril by Jaye L. Knight and The Word Endangered by Steve Razasa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been a great month *nodnod*. Ooh, you're reading Samara's Peril? That book is pretty good - I love all of Jaye's writing.

      Delete
  3. Something absolutely ate 2016! It's a conspiracy, I'm telling you!

    It sounds like you had a good December! I'm so glad to hear you had a fun Christmas. ^_^ Ours was enjoyable, too.

    You like to edit when you're sick? That is so funny! XDD I just want to read and stare at the TV lifelessly when I'm sick. That's so cool you're able to be productive! (Also, dat snippet. <333)

    Deborah has also made me want to read The Skin Map! I actually have it on my shelf, so I'm hoping to read i in 2017! I feel like half the things I read are recommendations from Deborah, and it's great. XD
    I kinda totally love your idea of reading and reviewing a book that was published that particular month. How fun!

    GIRL. You linked to one of MY posts??? That gave me a little thrill. YOU'RE SO SWEET. <333

    You're doing a character building series? THAT'S SO COOL. I cannot wait!!! :D And I can't wait for your next vlog, too!

    I do so hope your cold goes away quick, and that your have an absolutely AMAZING New Year's!!! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I like to edit when I'm sick xD. Literally - I'm sick right now and I wrote out almost the entirety of Killing Snow's new outline. I'm STRANGE, I'm telling you xD.

      YES READ IT - Deborah has really good taste, apparently, because every book she's recommended to me has been absolutely delicious *nodnod*. I'm really excited to get the next book in that series.

      YES I LINKED - you finished a SEVEN YEAR NANO SERIES (what even, Lauri???) and THAT DESERVES RECOGNITION *gives you an award* xD.

      The character building series will hopefully be helpful and not me throwing advice around that is already well known XD. I'm excited to start it!

      Thank you, Christine! And I hope you have AH-MAZING New Year, as well! <3

      Delete
  4. OKAY WELL THIS WAS A FABULOUS WRAP UP. XD Your snippet though O.O That was super good. Plus I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that you posted SEVEN. TIMES. LIKE WAHT.

    My reading goals is to read 100 books also, although I'm not suuuurreeee about it. xP HOPEFULLY I CAN DO IT THOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY GREAT THEN XD. And thank you! I'm having WAY too much fun writing all the Killing Snow things xD. YES SEVEN - I had actually planned to post more than that, but it didn't work out xD.

      *highfives for matching goals* WE'LL MAKE IT *goes to grab all the books in preparation for meeting the goal*

      Delete
  5. I'm very excited to see what the New Year brings...

    It sounds like you've had quite the month. :) And MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS!! (Yes, I am still hanging on to the last shreds of Christmas cheer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! 2017 promises to be a wild one xD.

      THANK YOU - and merry belated Christmas to you, as well!

      Delete
  6. GAHHH such a wonderful month this was ya know?

    ESPECIALLY SINCE I GOT MY BOOK LIKES *dies*

    and you're right..something at 2016!!! WAS IT YOU?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES IT WAS *really really loved December*

      Oh gracious YES - it isn't even MY book, and I was still insanely excited when I heard that you had got it xD.

      *whistles innocently* *pats my very-full dragon, who is nibbling on the last bits of December*

      Delete
  7. To be honest, I like your theory about 2016. I'm SO excited for the new year!

    As for reading...I think I'm going to try and break my habit of reading the same books again and again and add some variety XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because OBVIOUSLY something ate 2016 - there is no other logical explanation for why it has flown by so fast xD.

      Haha, that'll be fun! I actually rarely re-read books EVER - so I might do some of that this year ;).

      Delete
  8. I would say 'get better soon' but you seem to be more productive soooo *whistles*

    EEP thanks for mentioning my post and YES YOU MUST PUBLISH YOUR BOOK SOON K YEP I WANT IT *waves* GO DO ALL THE EDITING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KINDA want to get better but then ALL THE WANT FOR EDITING WILL BE GONE *is indecisive about being sick* xD

      YOU'RE WELCOME, IT WAS EPIC. I'll definitely be publishing it and I'm REALLY excited to actually hold MY BOOK. *rushes off to edit before Sare can slap me* xD

      Delete
  9. Dude you posted seven times? I posted...none. *hides* Post NaNo recovery, but I'm posting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes seven *blinks at all the posts I somehow did*. And you can always make up for not posting in December by posting in January ;). *goes off to read your post*

      Delete
  10. This sounds like such a fun month!

    I can't believe that it will be 2017 after tomorrow! Agreed, something ate 2016. (Personally, I think it was my history.....)

    -Cerra Cat-

    P.S. If you ever run out of anything to edit while you are sick, call me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a fun month! :D

      Isn't it weird? I bet I'll be trying to write "2016" as the year for a good part of January xD.

      *whispers* TRUST ME I could edit my story for a year and still have more to edit xD. *glares at unedited story*

      Delete
  11. Aww, thank you SO MUCH for mentioning my December poem, Savannah!! <3 <3

    And I agree! Something must have eaten 2016! How else would it already be December?

    Also, that is a lot of books for one month! Are you a wizard or something? I'm, like, (*whispers*) still reading my December book. Teach me your ways, reading master! ;) :)

    Glad you had a great Christmas! I pray you have a safe and wonderful New Year! :)

    ~Liv
    oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Olivia! It was SO beautiful *nodnod*.

      That's what I've been wondering ALL YEAR xD.

      It's a little something called 'staying up late and not writing when I SHOULD be writing because I want to read instead' xD.

      I hope that you have a wonderful one as well, Olivia! <3

      Delete
  12. For real though, something ate 2016...

    Ooh, you liked The Skin Map? I got the series from my parents for Christmas and I can't wait to get started on them!

    Aw, sorry you have a cold. Hopefully you get better! I can't wait to see vlog part 2... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I WANNA READ YOUR BOOK SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.