Book Review - White Wolf And The Ash Princess by Tammy Lash


April 23, 2017


   The lovely author Tammy Lash sent me a copy of her book, White Wolf And The Ash Princess, as a surprise (and it + the note that came with it made my day, let me tell you), and I devoured it in less than 48 hours. Which might have damaged my NaNoWriMo wordcount a bit, but I'm not having any regrets :D.  

Book Review Of White Wolf And The Ash Princess, by Tammy Lash - Header Image -

   4 Stars


   I'd never heard of White Wolf And The Ash Princess before Kendra E. Ardnek's Indie E-Con, but I was terribly intrigued by it right when I saw the gorgeous cover :D. I'm so glad I got a chance to read it, because it was quite a treat! I couldn't put it down ;).

 - From The Back Cover - 

Cover Of White Wolf And The Ash Princess, By Tammy Lash
Who am I? Eighteen year old Izzy's limited world begins to feel cramped after she completes her self-appointed book dare. After reading two-hundred and fifty books, a thought that had been once tucked away as tightly as the books on her library shelves becomes too irresistible to ignore...Who am I? Memory loss prohibits Izzy from remembering her life before age seven when she was injured in a fire. Fifteen year old Jonathan Gudwyne and his head housekeeper rescued her and took Izzy in as their own, but who did she belong to before Jonathan took her in? Crippling panic keeps Izzy from wandering beyond the stables but Tubs, the Gudwyne's thirteen-year old stable boy, encourages Izzy to go beyond the property's rock wall into a world that promises possible answers. A scorched castle in the woods and its mysterious cellar reveal secrets that push Izzy beyond her discomfort to embark in a journey to the New World with her young friend. Here, she finds love and a home in the most of unexpected of places.

what i liked

A Quote From White Wolf And The Ash Princess, by Tammy Lash
   - The main character. White Wolf And The Ash Princess is told in first person, so obviously it would be important for me to like the main character. And I most certainly did! Izzy wasn't one of those 'I can't do anything for myself and my world is ending so someone save me' protagonists, but neither was she 'I'm strong no one touch me'. She was perfectly balanced and so realistic. I loved her so much, and I was able to connect with her really well. <3   

   - The emotion. Tammy Lash did an great job with writing realistic emotions and reactions to different scenarios, I was impressed. It wasn't perfect by any means, but there's only one place where I could really point at it and say 'I didn't like that bit - it should have been different emotionally'. Literally only one place. It was better than some far-more-hyped books I've read. 

   - The wording. The wording in this book is a little different, and it was throwing me off at first - but after a little while, I realized that it actually enhanced the book, and I liked it more. It read a little awkwardly at times, and I would have to re-read a bit, but mostly I just enjoyed it.

   - The draw that this book had. I don't know how else to explain it. Normally I'll read a book, and then put it down for a bit to get some chores/school/life done, and return to it as soon as possible. But it was different with White Wolf And The Ash Princess - I couldn't quite thinking about it once I put it down! So I'd scuttle back to it as quickly as I could, which meant that this book (which is fairly large) was a quick read for me. I don't know what drew me back to it so much, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that the main character is epicness.    


   I could go on to wordbuilding, (which was fantastic) characters, (they were all ah-mazing), the beautiful cover (just look at it!) the beautiful themes (this book has it all) - but then we'll be here all day ;).   

what i disliked

Another Quote From White Wolf And The Ash Princess, By Tammy Lash
   - There were a few inconsistencies. (for lack of a better word) Sometimes it was a typo - though I only found a few of those in the whole big book - or an inconsistency such as saying that a character was standing by a door, when the last time you saw him he was next to a chair, and they never said he moved. It only happened a few times, but it was enough to throw me off when it did happen *shrugs*.

   - It didn't end quite like I would have liked it to. The ending was great, I'll definitely say that, but I'm more picky than a three-year-old when it comes to book endings. There's not much I would have changed, but I thought it should be mentioned. It kind of left with me a 'but ... but the story isn't done yet!' feeling - though, I think it would have been like that even if it had been a 100% perfect ending, just because I wanted more so badly :D.     

   So, not wanting to end on a sour note - this was such a good book, and I was able to relate to the main character, even if she wasn't that much like me. I loved her to bits, and I loved the book just about as much. White Wolf And The Ash Princess was in a genre I don't read to much (it wasn't speculative fiction, haha), but I'm very happy to have it on my bookshelf so that I can return to it whenever I'd like. I would recommend it for 13+, and all you lovers of a good story ;).

~ Savannah Grace 

   Have you read this book yet? (hint: you should!) Do you like books written in first person point of view?

37 comments :

  1. I'm actually writing my WIP in first person. It can get annoying sometimes to write, but it makes the story really dig deep into the character's feelings.
    I haven't read the book. It sounds interesting though.
    What makes you like a book so much that you'd give it a five star rating? Just wondering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE first person books - so long as they're well written ;).

      Five star books? Well, I suppose it differs from book to book, but I'd say a five-star book definitely needs good characters that I LOVE, emotions (I need all the FEELS :D), a good plot, and an epic ending. Stuff like that ;).

      Delete
    2. Good to know. *rubs hands together*
      I love first person. I don't know, it feels more open for me to pour my heart out in. I dunno.
      Yes, emotions are a definite for me. If I don't like the character in a book, I'm more likely to put it down. I hate when they leave you at a cliff hanger and there's not even another book! lol

      Delete
  2. I love first person books! xD
    I am actually writing one right now. I used to like third person better, but I've changed my mind. It's easier to portray my character's(s') feelings that way. (I get weird with third person - LOL)
    Sometimes I write in TWO first... people. Lol. You know (well, actually, you don't), two people take turns narrating the story.... I do that a lot.
    Is there anyone else that uses this??? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love how first person enables you to get that much deeper into your character's brain. My current story is third person, but the story I plan to work on next is going to be in first ;).

      I have yet to use two first person POVs in one story, but I think it would be really neat to do sometime! But I have read books like that that I've enjoyed.

      Delete
    2. I'm currently writing first person. xD I've been trying to work with third person, but I'm not doing well AT ALL. It's just not my style. ;D
      I LOVE books with 2 1st people. xD Jake and Lily (by Jerry Spinelli) is like that, and it's one of my fav's. (It's not advanced reading or anything, but it's a cute/funny book.) You should check it out! :D

      Delete
  3. I haven't done that yet, GJE, but I probably will at some point.
    I might have to read this one, Savannah! It sounds really good :)
    And I'm actually planning to tell my next book in third person present tense *gulp* just for hoots :3

    Thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Florid Sword! The book was a blast to write.❤ Book two is COMING and is in the writing process and book three is in the dream stage. So, if a series interests you, come aboard!

      Delete
    2. Florid Sword, I love writing that way! I usually use the two main characters to narrate, but sometimes I switch things up... ;D
      Tammy Lash, I really want to read your book! Is it at the library yet?

      Delete
    3. Hi GJE! White Wolf is available on Amazon in paperback and soon on Kindle (coming in May!!!) It's at two local libraries....but that's about as far as I've pushed it! Thanks for asking!😍

      Delete
    4. That books name is so intriguing in itself! I'd love to check it out, Tammy Lash! :D

      Delete
    5. Thanks, LHE!😍 The title is based on a legend that's the book. I wrote the legend as a love letter to my husband.❤❤❤

      Delete
    6. Aww, that's so sweet!! I bet he ADORED it! I love coming up with names for my WIPs, but keeping them, and actually finishing my stories are a problem in itself. Lol
      Wow, I never knew you had to push for your books to be put it libraries. Uh, oh....

      Delete
    7. Well, pleeeease keep writing!I feel everyone has something important to say! Let your voice be heard through your work!

      Yes! Large libraries are especially hard to get into (if you are self-published). They only want approved books that have been professionally reviewed (I can't think of the name of one that they prefer.) Small, community libraries are usually more accepting and will let you do special book signings or presentations. Interesting, huh?! This is my first book and I'm learning A LOT!!

      Delete
    8. @Florid Sword - Present tense! I hardly ever see any present tense books, but I tend to like them a lot, just because they're so different.

      @Tammy Lash - I never knew that about libraries, thank you for sharing that information with us! I'll have to remember it if I decide to self publish ;).

      Delete
    9. Tammy Lash: Thank you! I will most definitely keep writing.
      Wow, I'm learning so much in my writing life. lol
      I'm sure my library would accept my writing if it's self-published. (I hope)
      I'm gonna try and push for traditional publishing, so I hope that will be easier. (I'm more dependent then independent.)
      That WOULD be fun. Writing is such and interesting thing. :D
      *I hope all goes well for you!*

      Delete
    10. Thanks,LHE! May God bless you on your writing journey! You'll be AMAZED at what you can accomplish through Him. I have generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and PTSD and.. !!!WOW!!!... His hand was in the entire book process. I'm mind-blown at the things I accomplished. He provided an AMAZING team of people to help and I'm so thankful for new friends and old. God is good!!😍

      Delete
    11. Oh, you're welcome! I'll try and get it soon... :D

      Delete
    12. Tammy Lash: No problem! Daww, you as well! :D
      He is such a good God! I'm sure he'll help me with everything that I need. :)
      Wow! You have accomplished so much. <333

      Delete
  4. Thank you for reading White Wolf and for your LOVELY review!!😍😍😍😍😍 Tee-hee! Sorry I ended the book like I did (*wink, wink*), but I HAD to entice you to come back for book two!!❤ Letters From the Dragon's Son is coming! You DON'T want to miss Jonathan's story! Ahhhhhh!!!!

    HUGS, sweetie! Thanks for your support!!

    ❤, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Thank you so much for sending it to me ;). I can't wait until Letters From the Dragon's Son comes out, it's going to be amazing!

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of this, but it sounds so good!!! An epic protagonist who loves to read? Deep emotions? Unputdownable-ness? YEP. NEED. I just looove those stories that won't get out of your head even after you've stopped reading. That just stick with you and invade your thoughts. That's always the writer's goal!

    But seriously, this sounds like a really interesting book. Besides, DAT COVER. #shallowbookworm

    I actually use to hate first-person. o.o Like...a lot. But now I'm fine with it! It's funny how that changed. I mean, I'd still RATHER third-person, but first-person is fine. Sometimes even better for certain books. It all just depends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! Seeing White Wolf on the cover still makes me giddy every time I see him. ❤

      I just HAD to do this story in first person. It didn't seem right any other way. I wanted it to make it a "diary" experience. I wanted skip right past my readers ears and get them in the heart. 😍

      Delete
    2. YES - this book was incredible, I think you'd love it. I couldn't quit reading White Wolf once I'd started it xD. (and YES about the cover - why do you think I used an actual picture of it for the header of this post? :D *scowls at the dark shadow on it, but oh well*)

      I normally only hate first person if I hate the main character. Which is a problem in and of itself, so xD.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Savannah Grace!! HUGS!!!

      Delete
  6. I didn't used to like first person POV very much; now I read in a wider range of genres, and I've realised that different genres - and different stories within those genres - are best with different features. Like I always thought present tense was weird, but The Hunger Games combined present with 1st-person, and it couldn't be written any other way. I'm always learning new things as a writer - a lot of them from reading. :)

    I'll have to look out for White Wolf and Ash Princess - I could do with an epic read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunger Games will forever be my favorite series!! Thanks, Jem! Lord willing in May (so..ahhhh...very soon!), White Wolf will be in second edition and Kindle. The first edition is available now on Amazon. ❤, Tammy

      Delete
    2. "I'm always learning new things as a writer - a lot of them from reading." Which is half the reason we read! :D I love learning new things from amazing books. Thanks for commenting, Jem!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you completely about the characters and emotions in this book. I had the awesome privilege of Beta reading this story and let me tell you, I have never been so drawn in. I am like you, more into speculative fiction, but this story got a grip on me and wouldn't let go. I am so glad you got a chance to read it!!

    I enjoying writing in both third and first person narrative, but the one thing I like about first person is how intensely you can get into the main character's head. This book does not disappoint in this area!

    And I have to say it... Jonathan...swoon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and an EPIC Beta reader you are, my friend!! Jonathan wouldn't have the swoon factor without your gentle push!! Thanks, my friend! ❤, Tammy

      Delete
    2. You beta-read the story? How cool! I was very surprised at being so drawn to a book that was on the historical side of things ;). I'm excited to read the next book in the series when it comes out!

      I have a hard time not writing first person in present tense (for some reason it just feels more natural?), so I enjoyed that White Wolf was like that - and I definitely agree that it doesn't disappoint! It was such a fun read.

      Thanks for reading, Savannah ;).

      Delete
  8. THAT COVER THOUGH. *drools*
    This looks soooo good! *hurries off to add it to tbr-pile on Goodreads*
    First person can be an interesting point of view, though I like third person more. I like large casts of characters and seeing into all their heads. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW - it's incredible! I immediately knew I had to have it when I saw the wolf on the front :D. And it's even more gorgeous in real life! <3

      Delete
  9. Yes, Madeline!!!!! Exactly why White Wolf HAD to be in first person! ;D I wanted people to see every aspect of her. Izzy's POV was fun to do, but I must say, Jonathan's story in Letters From the Dragon's Son (the coming sequel in first person as well!) is a complete BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED reading Izzy's POV, being inside her head for a book was so much fun ;).

      Delete
  10. I THINK I'M GONNA SAY THIS ABOUT EVERY BOOK YOU REVIEW BUT GUESS WHAT? I SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. xD It sounds amazing, and those snippets are beautimous!! <333
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Perran Kids!!😍😍 And yes!!! (Hand claps!!) Pleeeease do!! πŸ˜πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.