Book Review - Caraval by Stephanie Garber


August 11, 2017


   So, I put off reading Caraval for a good long while - it sounded like something I might enjoy, but there was something about it that made me unsure. Anyways, I finally decided that it couldn't hurt to try it, and OH MY. While there was some stuff in the book that I didn't like so much, I definitely don't regret picking it up <3.

Book Review - Caraval by Stephanie Garber [header image]

4 1/2 Stars


   Believe it or not, Caraval was the 100th book that I've read this year. (!!!!) I was incredibly excited to find out that I had met my reading goal for the year ... five months early xD. And if it wasn't for the stuff in the book that I didn't really enjoy, my 100th book probably would have received a full five stars!

   From The Back Cover

   Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . . 

   Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the    audience participates in the show, are over.
   But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.
   Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

   Welcome, welcome to Caraval . . . beware of getting swept too far away.
 




   - The main character was epic. I loved Scarlett - she was a strong, beautiful main character, but not in a "I'm a girl but I can kill you with a butter knife" kind of way. Scarlett was strong in a "you try whatever tricks you like, but there's no way on this good earth you're going to stop me from saving my sister" kind of way.

   -The concept (and setting) of Caraval. At first I thought Caraval was going to be more of a circus-y thing (I don't know where I got that idea? Carval just sounded like it might be some kind of twisted/dark circus thing?), but it wasn't. And while that did throw me off for a few seconds there, once I realized that it wasn't a circus, I really enjoyed it! xD 

   -The mystery. There was so much mystery revolving around Caraval - what with some people not being who they seemed, and Scarlett trying to bring the clues together so that she could find her sister, Tella, there was a ton of pieces to try and put together. It was especially fun for me, as a reader, to try and put all those pieces together and figure out what was what before the characters did!


  - ... there actually wasn't too much that I didn't like? It wasn't the cleanest book ever - some of the romance ... wasn't the best, but (unless I'm having a goldfish-brain memory which isn't out of the question) only the first chapter really looked like it could get sketchy. But the book also managed to hold my attention for the entire book - which is sometimes a hard thing to do! So ... yes, even though there were a few things I didn't like so much (which cut the book's rating by half a star), I did very much enjoy Caraval.  

   So, because this book isn't the cleanest thing, I would probably recommend it for 14+. Still, I very much enjoyed it, and it was a worthy 100th book!  

~ Savannah Grace 

   Have you read Caraval before? How many books have you read this year?

36 comments :

  1. I read this book last month, and like you I enjoyed it! And the cover is SO STUNNING, like, goodness!!! XD

    -Gray Marie
    graymariewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it JUST? I want to buy it simply so that I can take pictures of the gorgeous thing without a library sticker on it! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review, Savannah! I've been soooo curious about this one! And I for some reason associated it with a circus too--maybe "Caraval" sounds too much like carnival or carousel?? XD But anyways, I'm glad it was mostly clean, because that's basically the only reason I haven't read it yet. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm in the library or bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! I was pleased that Caraval wasn't a circus just because what Caraval actually WAS was so much better! Definitely check it out when you next see it! I loved it <3

      Delete
  3. "I'm a girl but I can kill you with a butter knife." Oh. my. word. I hate that stereotype, but that's such a good way of putting it! Even more annoying when the author/filmmaker throws in men who couldn't defend themselves if they were handed a shotgun. >:( I love it when storytellers can depict a heroine as strong and courageous but still feminine and loving.
    ANYWAY, rant over, it's always fun to hear about what you've been reading! I was also picturing a circus, so you're not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOLLY I know! And it's SO overused. I'm glad to hear this book doesn't follow that path. Plus, it's so mysterious... I may just have to take a look.

      *The game is on!*

      ~ Gracelyn

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it is annoying - I might do a post about it when I have the time (and brain power, seeing as I have a cold right now, and it's HARD to write a nice-and-coherent post when my brain's foggy xD). Thanks for commenting, Hanna (and Grace! :D)!

      Delete
    3. That's what Ariel said. . . I hope you feel better soon! :( I'd love to read more of your thoughts on that.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And the story is just as interesting as the cover! :D

      Delete
  5. I was sooo excited to see this review because I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO READ THIS SO BADLY. I mean, that blurb. o.o It sounds so epic. I NEED IT. So I was really happy to get your thoughts on it. And now that I see you enjoyed it, I WANT IT MOOORE.

    I actually thought it was a circus too! :O It's not? Oh... Lol! I thought it was similar to The Night Circus, but maybe I'm totally off there. Either way, I STILL WANT TO READ IT. LIKE SOON.

    Also congrats on 100 books! You are a reading machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW - and it's been out since January, and yet it still took me this long to get to it? I don't know what's wrong with me xD. AND YES, YOU SHOULD READ IT! I have no idea if you'd like it or not (I think you would?), but I certainly hope so!

      Thank you, Christine! I'm now wondering if I can hit 200 before the year is out! xD

      Delete
  6. Excellent review. I actually did really enjoy this book... it was entrancing! I loved all the colors and flavors that were weaved into each sentence. I nearly cried in a few parts, it got so emotionally tense. The ending was so awkward, like "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT ANYONE ANYMORE" but it was a good awkward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just? I loved it so much that I almost read it in one day! And yes, THAT ENDING - I just can't wait until the next book comes out!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed Caraval as well! A lot of bloggers hyped it up a ton before its release and then were inevitably disappointed afterwards, so I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. Lots of people complain that Scarlett's an idiot, but I think her naivety is a natural product of her sheltered upbringing. And I really like that she's both feminine and spunky! I can't wait to see how she evolves further in the second book. I also really liked the mystery part you mentioned, and the PROSE!! oh my goodness!!

    Great review!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd heard that - but I was still a super new blogger when the hype was going around, and I didn't hear any of it, so I didn't have many expectations going into Caraval. And I'm glad I didn't! The book was so much better going into it with an open mind :D.

      YES, SCARLETT WAS THE BEST <3. I can't wait until the second book! Why must 2018 be so far away? xD

      Delete
  8. I've seen this around a lot but actually never investigated it. Now your review is making me want to read it, though. XD (That coverrrrr. I'm a little in love. o.o)

    Wait...it doesn't have anything to do with a circus?? *gasps* I think 90% of the comments are going to involve that statement. Apparently everyone was under the same impression, haha.

    Really loved your review, Savvy!! I kiiiind of want to check this book out...except for the content. Hehe. ;P

    Oh, and congrats on 100 books! I thought my 55 was impressive until I saw that. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE COVER, YES <3 <3. I'm considering getting my own copy of it, just because it's so gorgeous.

      *scans the comments* Yup, about 90% is us talking about how Caraval isn't a circus! xD And YES, it's a lovely book, but definitely be aware that there is some sketchy content in it a few times if you're planning on reading it.

      Aw, come on - we're only in August, you can totally make it to 100 by the end of the year. YOU CAN DO IT, GLITTER QUEEN!

      Delete
  9. So glad you loved this! I admit I didn't enjoy it at all, but I agree that the mystery and setting was beautiful :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, it's too bad that you didn't like it! It's always a bummer to pick up a book that disappoints - but thanks for reading my review, Amy! :D

      Delete
  10. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions that have made me hesitant to read Caraval, but now I'm all excited again! I hope to enjoy it as much as you seemed to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, too, Evangeline! You'll have to tell me what you think of it if you do pick it up!

      Delete
  11. I feel like this is either a hit or miss for some readers, but I'm so glad that you liked this book! If I get into a reading slump, I'll be sure to read this. The mystery aspect of this book is drawing me in...

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - you either love it or you hate it, seems like. But I was (luckily) one of the ones that loved it, and I hope you are, too! :D Thanks for reading, Abigail!

      Delete
  12. I feel that I'm at least the tenth person to say this, but...I thought it was about a circus too. I mean, Caraval kind of sounds like carousel and carnival, doesn't it? Nice review though, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it, though? I totally thought it was going to be a circus ;D. Thanks for reading, Chelsea!

      Delete
  13. I have seen this book on Goodreads before, but now I have a reason to look into it further! :) (I actually thought Caravel might have been a boat?? And it also made me think of Cair Paravel xD)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a boat would have been really cool ... *is having ideas* *plot bunnies slowly form* YUP, WELL ANYWAYS xD. Thanks for reading, Jem!

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed the setting of caraval, it was so different and unique, onestly, just amazing! and so beautiful, obviously. I liked Scarlet too, but I think the rmance was in a lot of ways typical, but in a lot of other ways, FANTASTIC! I LOVE LOVE LOVE sibling relationships in books, so that was a plus point too. Overall, it was realy fun to read, tbh. (squints at this book that I read back in January or whenever it came out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different and unique is a perfect way to describe Caraval - I loved it so much! And YES, sibling relationships are awesome, I adored Scarlett's loyalty to Tella. Thanks for commenting, Deeja!

      Delete
  15. I ALMOST bought this book at the bookstore! But I thought I'd check it out from the library first. It looks SO. GOOD. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend checking it out before buying it - I think it's a book that some people are going to love and some people are going to hate xD. You'll have to tell me what your opinion of it was if you read it!

      Delete
  16. I've seen Caraval in the library and floating around the blogosphere, but something's always kept me from picking it up, like you said. I'll have to give it a try.

    Fun fact: until you said it wasn't about circuses I thought it was "Carnival".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Carnival" was what popped into my mind when I saw the title, too - which is probably why I thought Caraval was a circus! xD Thanks for reading, Brianna!

      Delete
  17. I STILL need to read this.😂 I'm still embarrassed that I haven't honestly, heheh, but I'm surprised it's not a circus too?! I thought it was. 😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, YOU DO. I can't decide if I think you'll like it or hate it, but it'd be cool to get your opinion on it! (we need more circuses in stories, it would seem xD)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.