Book Review - Unraveling by Sara Ella


August 22, 2017


   Two reviews in one month? Yes, yes - I know I'm breaking my unspoken rule of only one review a month, but I had to share my thoughts on Unraveling! I mentioned awhile back (in this book haul video, actually) that I had bought an utterly gorgeous copy of Unraveling, and I just now finished reading it. Scandalous, I know - it took me forever to get to it! But my tbr pile was teetering at its limits, and some of the books on it were library books, which weren't sticking around forever. So Unraveling got pushed a little further under. But OH MY was it an incredible book - I read it in almost one day! xD

Unraveling by Sara Ella - Bookshelf Picture [header image]

   4 1/2 Stars


   It was a beautiful read (also, confession: I did literally stop reading a few times so I could close it and look at the cover again. IT'S JUST PRETTY), and I enjoyed it so much. Unblemished (the first book in this series) was a 4 star book, Unraveling is a 4 1/2 Star book, so I'm hoping the series will only escalate from there! It's been amazing so far. <3

   From The Back Cover 

Cover Image of Unraveling by Sara Ella
What happens when happily ever after starts to unravel?

Eliyana Ember doesn't believe in true love. Not anymore. After defeating her grandfather and saving the Second Reflection, El only trusts what's right in front of her. The tangible. The real. Not some unexplained Kiss of Infinity she once shared with the ghost of a boy she's trying to forget. She has more important things to worry about--like becoming queen of the Second Reflection, a role she is so not prepared to fill.

Now that the Verity is intertwined with her soul and Joshua's finally by her side, El is ready to learn more about her mysterious birth land, the land she now rules. So why does she feel like something--or someone--is missing?

When the thresholds begin to drain and the Callings, those powerful magical gifts, begin to fail, El wonders if her link to Ky Rhyen may have something to do with it. For light and darkness cannot coexist. She needs answers before the Callings disappear altogether. Can El find a way to sever her connection to Ky and save the Reflections--and keep herself from falling for him in the process?




the epic stuff

    - The fact that it wasn't cliche. This book could have become cliche fairly fast. But it absolutely, 100%, wasn't! Even at the parts where it would have been especially easy to take the cliche route out were done in a very original way. And I love books that tend to stray away from cliches. I really need to find more that are like that xD. 

   - The writing style. It's super unique, so cool, and very easy to read! I love it so much - and I think that's why I was able to buy Unraveling without reading it. I knew I LOVED the writing style before I even started the book! Unraveling is written in first person, so it's pretty important to nail a good voice in a story like that. And I think Sara Ella nailed it when it comes to voice and writing style.

   - The plot. Unraveling had an ah-mazing plot, oh my good gracious. I couldn't stop reading it once I started! (the only reason I had to pause and not read it all in one day was because this annoying thing called SLEEP had to interrupt. #rude) When I was only a small way through the book, I curled up in our comfy chair and just read until I finished the thing. It was lovely <3. (and also it was raining which makes it about fifty times better)  

the disliked stuff
   - I did lose focus now and then. I think it was only during the first half-or-so of the book, though - it was the same way with the first book (I almost DNFed the first book and MY WORD am I glad that I didn't!). I'm not even sure why I lost focus, but there it is. Not even a super big complaint, so this book still gets an epic rating from me! 

   All in all, Unraveling was a GORGEOUS book - not only was it spectacular writing-wise, but it was also a pretty clean book that I would recommend to teens who love speculative fiction (particularly urban and portal fantasy). Y'all should read Unblemished and Unraveling so we can wait for the release of the third book (Unbreakable) together! 

~ Savannah Grace


   have you read unraveling? who all saw the eclipse yesterday?


21 comments :

  1. I WANT TO READ THESE BOOKS SO BADLY. They sound just up my alley. I've had my eye on them for aaages. I MUST HAVE THEM PRECIOUSSS.

    Also, I just need them for those covers alone. Like...most gorgeous covers EVER. *drooools*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO, OH MY GOODNESS - YOU'D LOVE THEM. Do tell me what you think of them once you can get your hands on them! And YES, the covers <3 <3 <3. I may or may not want to own the whole series JUST FOR THE COVERS xD.

      Delete
  2. Wow awesome review and IT IS SOO PRETTY <3 I need to read soon. *gives thumbs up for hooking my attention*

    Lisa
    thisinkwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *is very happy that I hooked your attention* :D Thank you, Lisa! And YES, you really do! They're incredible books <3.

      Delete
  3. Did you all watch the eclipse? We drove out to Firth, NE where our friends knew someone who had a farm. The clouds covered up the sun for part of it, but it was still awesome to watch the bit we could and see it get dark so fast!
    Unblemished sounds like a lovely book! Also, the cover. o_o I'll have to remember this one. . . And just for the record, I don't think anybody minds when you break your one-review-a-month rule. ;)
    That's pretty much how I finished Eldest--curled up in a chair reading like my life depended on it until I reached the end. And then ya know, when I finally stood up and threw the book back into my chair and didn't touch it again for hours I was so mad. . . which you already knew, I guess, since I texted you, fuming. Did I tell you I'm reading Brisingr?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we TRIED to view it with pinhole viewers (we chose not to use glasses, since there were stories about some people getting defective ones, ha) but ... they didn't work xD. It was still super fun watching everything go grey, and all the nightime critters came out!

      Ah, yes, Eldest DEFINITELY is a good book for throwing xD. And no, you didn't! Though I kind of guessed that you were, since you said you were going to read it while traveling. And you NEED to text me with your thoughts on it! I'm excited to see what you think :D.

      Delete
  4. Going to have to add this to my getting out of hand TBR list.. watched eclipse but didn't get dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's too bad! It was pretty cool :). I'm glad that you're interested in Unraveling, it's an awesome book!

      Delete
  5. AHHHH. I haven't actually read Unblemished yet but WE DO HAVE IT and Clare read it and assures me that it's great so IT'S ON MY LIST. *tries to read all the books and do life at the same time*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CLARE IS CORRECT - you definitely need to get your hands on Unblemished! THE SERIES IS EPIC SO FAR. (*whispers* all you need to get is a time machine. It helps xD)

      Delete
  6. I neeeed to read Unblemished *pokes library with a stick* And 'Kiss of Infinity' and 'Queen of the Second Reflection' - Unraveling sounds awesome as well!

    (And yes, those covers are gorgeous! <3)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my library had Unblemished, but I had to request that they get Unraveling. At least they did! xD I hope you get to read it sometime soon!

      Delete
  7. I really wanna read thiiiisss <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. DYING TO READ THIS. Also the cover is so pretty and dreamy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I'd buy the whole series just for the covers xD.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read the first one, but I just added it to my TBR :) It looks good! I'm excited to check it out. And YOU'RE RIGHT THESE BOOKS ARE SO PRETTY.

    And yes, I saw the eclipse :D It was so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL GOOD - Sara Ella's writing style is super epic, so what's inside of the book is JUST AS PRETTY as the outside xD.

      Agreed - I love love loved watching the world turn grey! So neat <3.

      Delete
  10. SUCH A PRETTY COVER. *stares* I really need to read this one...It sounds EPIC! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes, you do! And you'll have to tell me what you thought of it if/when you finish! :D

      Delete
  11. So BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.