Beautiful Books 2017 - Introduce Your Novel


October 10, 2017


   So that hiatus was ... unexpected.

   Though, it was very much needed, because I finally was able to finish the first draft of Asher Grey and send it to alphas. But I am back! And I don't plan to disappear anytime in the near future xD. 

   The Beautiful Books linkup has started again. Which means NaNoWriMo is creeping towards our doorsteps. Let's do this.

beautiful books 2017 - introduce your novel [header image]



What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?


   I'm actually multi-tasking for NaNoWriMo 2017. This is the first time I have tried this. ACTUALLY this is only my second NaNoWriMo, so ... hopefully I'll survive? I did it last year?

   Anyways. I'll be editing Asher Grey and writing Killing Snow for #nano2017. Let's hope I don't die *shrugs*. 

   I've been working on Killing Snow for over a year, and was inspired for it when I decided I want to try writing a Snow White retelling - I wrote out about six ideas for different Snow White stories, and picked Killing Snow. I expected it to be a smol story, but it has MAJORLY snowballed. Asher Grey is still relatively new - I started writing it in June, maybe? And, again, it's a Snow White thing. Funny, because Snow White isn't even my favorite fairytale, but there you have it xD.


Describe what your novel is about!


   #spoilers, darling.  



What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!


   WELL since I'm pretty sure you guys are sick of seeing collages of Killing Snow - and I've only made one collage of Asher Grey, and you've already seen it - I'll just link to posts about Killing Snow and Asher Grey instead. xD Scamper over and check 'em out if you wish.


Introduce us to each of your characters!


   EACH? We'd be here all day. I'll grab three charries from Killing Snow and describe them with a gif ...


   ~ Raven Gale ~

(Raven's living in a tough world with a heavy load on her shoulders, so she has to 'ride hard, and not look back')


~ Elyse Grace ~

   (Elyse lives in the same tough world, and is Raven's best friend - but she's better at still seeing the good in things)


~ Cerulean Kane ~

   (two words - knives and sarcasm)


How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)


   Research? What is this thing called research?

   ... whatever it is, I obviously don't do much of it. xD 


What are you most looking forward to about this novel?


   THE CHARACTERS. It's always the characters, you guys <3 <3. I also love the plot and prose, but CHARACTERS. They're always what I spend the most time fleshing-out, and even if I don't put it in the book, I almost always know what all of their backstories are.


List 3 things about your novel’s setting.


   Killing Snow = a world inside a sci-fi airship // a crumbling city // grey light 

   Asher Grey = birch trees // forest // an Arena shaped like a Crown 


What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?


   In Killing Snow, Raven's goal is to get back to earth before her brother dies - but the fact that she's technically trapped on an airship stands in her way. And in Asher Grey, Asher's goal is to [spoiler spoiler] but [spoiler spoiler]. See? xD


How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?


   Uh ... well, Killing Snow is unfinished, and Asher Grey would just be spoiler-filled, so ... nope xD.


What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?


   Asher Grey has some themes of love and loyalty (... themes are slippery things to hold onto in a novella, so we'll see how well I do with that ...), and Killing Snow's themes are .... nonexistent complicated.
 
   Actually, Killing Snow probably HAS themes, but I'm never able to pin them down. Someone would probably read it and go 'oh, it had a nice [such and such] theme!' - and it probably would have that theme - and yet I'd still answer with '... it did?', because I never can pinpoint themes, ever xD.     

   But I want people to finish reading ... well, any of my books and feel the same way I felt when I finished Harry Potter, Out Of Time, The Wingfeather Saga, or any of the other books that have touched me.

   ... vague answers for the win, guys xD.







   So, I hope y'all enjoyed getting a peek at what I'm writing for NaNoWriMo! And I kid you not, I first started out writing that sentence out as 'a peek at how close NaNoWriMo is'. Time to stress out, writers. Have fun xD.  


~ Savannah Grace

are you doing nanowrimo 2017? 
what are you writing?


IMPORTANT: I've been trying to get a hold of the writing contest winner and haven't yet been able to, so unless I'm contacted by you (the winner), Vera, in the next three days, I won't be able to send you your prize :)

36 comments :

  1. I already love this Cerulean Kane. :D

    SARCASM + KNIVES = MY FAVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Somehow Cerulean's one of the favorites of almost EVERYONE who's heard about/read Killing Snow ;D.

      Delete
  2. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW IS NANO SO CLOSE??!

    *grabs paper bag and proceeds to breathe hurriedly into it*

    Um...I obviously need help. XD I'M SO INSANELY BUSY but I really want to do NaNo. Grrrrr. I most likely will end up doing it and wonder a week into it why I made that decision. *cough*

    OKAY BUT I OFFICIALLY NEED YOUR STORIES RIGHT THIS SECOND. Savvvvv. How do you manage to entice me with such a sparse amount of information? You're making me really wish I had time to read Asher Grey. *cries* xD

    YOU'RE AMAZING. YOU'RE STORIES ARE AMAZING. END OF STORY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BECAUSE NANOWRIMO IS A WRITING MONSTER. Monsters don't play by the rules. That's why they're scary *shudders*.

      Ha, same here! I REALLY shouldn't be doing NaNo, I'll probably be WAY too busy ... but I know I won't be able NOT to, so I might as well start prepping xD. WE CAN MAKE IT.

      I wish you did, too! It'd be so much fun to see your reaction to it - but there WILL be a call for betas in November, so maybe you'll have time then (but ... ahaha, probably NEITHER of us will have time for stuff like that in November, so xD).

      THANK YOU and YOU'RE AMAZING. END OF STORY xD.

      Delete
    2. *whispers* I saw your reply and then scanned my original comment and saw a TYPO. o.O That was supposed to be *YOUR stories are amazing. *cringes at the awfulness* xD

      Delete
  3. Wow, these sound awesome! I love how you hide spoilers. Very funny. Can't wait to learn more. :D

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivie! And HA, of course I hid the spoilers - no one needs to know them YET xD.

      Delete
  4. Haha I love those gif descriptions of your characters! They're priceless. xD

    WOOT go you for doing two WIPs at the same time!! PLEASE SURVIVE. xP You must finish all these epic books before you die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS going to do normal descriptions, but gifs are so much more fun xD.

      THANK YOU AND I SHALL TRY MY BEST. If I die death-by-NaNoWriMo, I'll just get Ariel to post all my non-embarrassing stories so you guys can read them xD.

      Delete
  5. HOW IS NANO SO CLOOOOSE???? I'M NOT READY HALP.

    Ahem.

    Aaaanyways, I LOVED THIS POST. Except allll the spoilers. You're so cruel to us. :P

    I admire you for tackling two projects this NaNo! Writing AND editing??? YOU ARE A SUPERHUMAN.

    Um, excuse me, but I NEVER get tired of your collages. Ever.

    I love your gifs for each character. And then there's Cerulean--knives and sarcasm. I'M DYING.

    "Research? What is this thing called research?
    ... whatever it is, I obviously don't do much of it. xD" <--- Actually me. It's probably a problem. XD

    Asher Grey has an arena shaped like a crown? THAT'S SO COOL.

    UGH. ALL YOUR STORIES JUST SOUND SO AMAZING, SAVANNAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE'LL BOTH JUST RESIGN OURSELVES TO THE FACT THAT WE MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THIS YEAR xD.

      Yup, writing and editing *runs and hides*. And I have deadlines for BOTH STORIES (Asher Grey needs to be done before the end of December, and I want to get Killing Snow done in time to take it to RM with me)?? THIS IS GOING TO BE INSANELY STRESSFUL? xD

      Isn't it though? I hate research for some reason and I don't even know WHY. Which is a big reason why I love speculative fiction so much - there's not so many RULES xD.

      THANK YOU SO MUCH, LAURI - I can't wait until you get the chance to read one!

      Delete
  6. Wow, you're brave for trying to tackle two books at the same time. Are you writing them at the same time, too???? Because if so, you're a SUPERHUMAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing and EDITING them at the same time, but ... yes? IT'S GONNA BE INSANE, but I'm doing my best not to think about that fact. xD

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing. The best of luck to you on both of your projects - having two at once sounds really hard, but you can do it! And despite the fact that you can't tell us a lot, your descriptions are really intriguing and I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vera! I'm so glad that the descriptions intrigued you <3.

      Delete
  8. YOUR SETTING IS GOAAAALS. (a cliche phrase but I'm not sorry.)

    This is also an official notice that I'm adopting all your characters so you can't hurt them, thanks.

    Feels Like Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GRACIOUS THANK YOU SO MUCH. (cliche can be nice sometimes xD)

      ... I think it's too late. The poor things are already drowning in tragedy. *hugs all the charries*

      Delete
  9. "a peek at how close NaNoWriMo is" < *has fun hyperventilating*

    (Me with my WIP: "wut is theme...")

    Your stories are going to be amazing. I wish you all the luck in the world for NaNo!
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "wut is theme ..." I KNOW. And seeing as theme is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT parts of the story ... well, we might want to get that figured out xD.

      Thank you, Jem - same to you! WE CAN DO THIS.

      Delete
  10. Ahhhh!!! I've been hearing so much about this Asher Grey and I'm desperate to know what it's really about, you're so vague!!! Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you guys all about Asher Grey SO BAD - but that'll have to wait until it's done xD. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. GIRL YOU ARE WRITING TO BOOKS AT ONCE I THINK YOU ARE CRAZY. *and yet off I go to alpha one of aforementioned books* Byee world.
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post! And your blog! I just subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, friend! I'm glad you enjoy Scattered Scribblings <3.

      Delete
  13. *don't go on a rant about how Cerulean can't be summed up in two words*
    *don't go on a rant about how Cerulean can't be summed up in two words*
    *don't go on a rant about how Cerulean can't be summed up in two words*
    *forget it*
    YOU CAN'T SUM CERULEAN UP IN TWO WORDS!! Okay, I guess you did pretty good, but still. He's such a complex character. Like I said when I e-mailed you after beta reading, I don't understand how you created him in a different storyworld/story/genre and yet he's incorporated so seamlessly into Killing Snow. I'm absolutely amazed at what you did with him. *heart eyes*
    I'm glad you're excited about your characters, you should be. I realized while reading Asher Grey that every time I start a new Savannah-story, I start it with this subconscious assumption that your character won't be as good as in the last story. NO idea why. *helpless shrug* So, every single stinkin' time I'm blown away by your characters. Your characters in Azure were awesome, your characters in KS were unbelievable. I got partway into Asher and realized you'd done it again. And then [*cough cough* you know what] happened, and I was like, "If Savannah kills Roman I WILL COME FOR HER." And then I realized I would rather watch Roman die than anyone else, because if someone else died I'd have to watch Roman handle it, and.... ugh. So much not okay-ness. NO JUST NO.
    You have this "feels" thing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GRACIOUS. Your fangirl comments about Cerulean always make me grin :D. My word, I don't even know what to say in response to your epic comment, girl! <3

      I'm so so glad that you think the Asher Grey characters are up to par! Ack, you're just the best, okay? The fact that you like my characters makes me so happy <3.

      THANK YOU SO MUCH, MY AMAZING FRIEND. <3

      Delete
  14. THAT GIF WAS PERFECT FOR CERULEAN KANE!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I miss reading about him. EEPPPPPP I can't wait to read more of your awesome words!!!! Good luck on Nano! =D

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss WRITING about him! xD And THANK YOU - are you going to be doing NaNoWriMo this year?

      Delete
  15. EEK ASHER GREY SOUNDS AMAZING. :D Also, THAT GIF FOR CERULEAN. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for the day when you guys will be able to read more of it! (I'M GLAD YOU LIKE IT - Cerulean's one of my most favorite characters that I've ever written <3)

      Delete
  16. I'm so pumped for you! You're going to ROCK nano! *high fives* I can't wait to read Killing Snow ASJDKFLHSKDJF. Asher Grey is already so beautiful *flails wildly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU *fistbump*. Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? I feel like you told me already, but I has #goldfishmemory so I can't remember xD. (AND THANK YOU SO MUCH - I'm so glad that you're enjoying Asher's story so far <3)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.