28 Days Into NaNoWriMo - My Conclusion


November 28, 2016


   I just beat NaNoWriMo 2016 and I am so exhausted. So exhausted. *collapses* Enjoy my nonsensical rambling (I promise I'm more coherent when it's not the middle of NaNo xD)


   Day 1. I was totally ready to go. My story was going to rock and I couldn't wait to get started. Everything was wonderful and glorious and I basically was wheeling around in excitement, ready to try and write 50k with a bunch of other insane writers.


   The wiser people laughed and told me 'there is no way you will end up with that same attitude at the end of the month'.
   These wise people were correct. Because then came the writer's block. For those of you who don't know, writer's block is not good during NaNoWriMo. Not good. Also, my characters decided to run off and leave me wondering where I was, lost in the middle of some strange story.


   But I carried on and tried as well as I could to wrangle and beat my story into shape. My characters beat me right back, and mostly nothing got done. Somehow. This seemed wrong to me.


   But I think my characters just wanted a smarter author who wouldn't force them to behave for the whole of November. Especially when the author had no idea whatsoever about what was going on in her story.

my characters, complaining about me

   Anyways. Somehow the days kept rolling by, and soon enough I came to the last week of NaNoWriMo (not sure how that happened. I was kind of in a daze, I think) - and I was behind on my word-count. Which I had told myself I wouldn't do. But somehow it had happened, and I was internally freaking out.


   So I sat down and had a nice little chat with my characters, and promised them candy if they would just behave (last resorts, people, last resorts). Of course, they said no.
   So I sharpened my sword pen, decided not to take no for an answer, and went at it with all I had.
 

    Maybe it was my magic Legolas sword that helped - or maybe it was just that my characters thought they might as well indulge me for just one week - but I finished my story.
   I repeat, Savannah Grace completed NaNoWriMo 2016 (not sure how many of my brain cells survived through this endeavor, but still *shrugs*).

   
   But all NaNoWriMo writers know what it feels like to finish a story during this crazy November event. We kind of look at the 50k words we just wrote, and we're not sure what to think.
   I don't even know how half of my scenes (... or characters ...) got into my story, and half the characters I'm simply annoyed at xD.  


   Anyways. That was my little adventure (*cough* that took up the whole month *cough*). I don't know how much of my sanity is left after all that, but insane writers are the best writers.

   Also, BIG thank yous to all the writers who encouraged me to keep going during the whole of November, especially to all of you in the Hangout (and to my sister Skylar for surprising me with gel pens when I finally beat NaNo). Without all of those crazy word sprints (and our ridiculous/writer-ly conversations) I definitely wouldn't have made it xD. You're all the best!

   *deep breath* Okay, I'm done. And I may or may not be sharing some snippets from The Dreamer's Game in my next Monthly Highlights posts - so be on the look out for those *nodnod*.   

~ Savannah Grace

   How was your NaNoWriMo adventure, friends? Are you ready to start editing, or are you simply blocking all thoughts of it? If you didn't do NaNo this year, are you going to next year?
 

34 comments :

  1. I APPROVE OF THE GIF USAGE IN THIS POST. *stamps with stamp of approval* ALSO GREAT JOB. You did fantabulous in NaNo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, WELL GOOD. AND THANK YOU! Now go write your last 5k *nodnod*.

      Delete
  2. Oh, writing. Probably the most encouraging thing I can say is that I'm nodding in agreement. Stories can be the peskiest. thing. ever. No one in my family seemed to understand it when I finished Cat's Forest and said, "I don't like it." Seriously though, my characters. >:( I think there's only two characters in the WHOLE STORY that I like, and I'm not more or less mad at.

    I'm sure The Dreamer's Game is great, and I WANT SNIPPETS! Pretty please?

    Also, all the GIFs. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Sometimes my stories seem to all be out to get me *shakes head*. OOH, I totally understand you saying 'I don't like it' when you finished Cat's Forest - I've done that to my stories before because sometimes they're just ANNOYING. And two characters is better than none :D. Any idea when you'll post Cat's Forest? I NEED TO READ IT :D.

      Okay, okay - I'll post snippets in my Monthly Highlights post. *goes off to write the post*

      Delete
    2. Well, shall I just say go check my blog?

      Delete
  3. OH MY STARS, YOU FINISHED!!!! AHHHHH SO HAPPY FOR YOU, SAVANNAH! (Also, when can I beta??? WE NEEDS IT, PRECIOUS. *clambers for book*)

    Brilliant gif usage, by the way. *thumbs up* (Mostly because LORD OF THE RINGS. <3) Oh, and I'm hungry for donuts now. Thanks. ;P *drools over the blog graphic*

    CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN, GIRL! So immensely proud of you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK, THANK YOU MARY! I'm a LITTLE insanely excited to be done xD. (NO no betaing until it's editing - I would die if anyone read it right now xD*shudders at the though*)

      Thank you! I've literally been planning to do this post for a good portion of November xD. And I'm always hungry for doughnuts *shrugs*.

      THANK YOU SO MUCH, MARY! We'll have to do this again next year *nodnod*.

      Delete
  4. Yay! You did it! *cheers*

    The gifs were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAYYYY you finished NaNo!!!! *confetti* *all the fireworks from Gandalf* *and doughnuts because DOUGHNUTS*
    Looooove the GIFs and this whole post in general! Great job on reaching the finish line, girl!! =)
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I GOT GANDALF FIREWORKS *gasps and watches them*
      Thank you, sister! :D Maybe next year I'll convince you to do it with me ... ;)

      Delete
  6. CONGRATS, SAVANNAH!

    I totally get you on the 'totally exhausted' thing. I have a little under 5k left and two utterly insane and school-and-studying-filled days to write it.

    But I'm going to make it. I think. I hope. I'm going to TRY.

    Excited for snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, EMILY! And congrats to you for being SO CLOSE to 50k! I know how busy this month was for you - I hope you can reach the goal :). YOU CAN DO IT, EMILY! *cheers you on*

      Delete
  7. GIRRRRLLLL YOU ROCKED THIS THING OKAY you legit finished (and I didn't even know what until now xP) BUT RLY SO EPIC OKAY

    you guys are all finishing *cries* *stumbles off to go finish*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, SARE! AND SO DID YOU *nodnod*. We are both epicness *highfive*.

      Delete
  8. AH MY GOODNESS SAVVY YOU ARE AMAZING. YOU STUCK WITH THEM CHARACTERS AND YOU WON.

    YOU. WON. NANO. YEET FOR SAVVY. YOU DID SUPER!!!

    Sooo. When ya gonna have this story done editing so I can read it??? *dances excitedly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP THANK YOU PRILL! It was hard but I DID IT (and at least some of my sanity is left, so that's a plus *shrugs*).

      Um ... never? xD *does not want to think of editing* But YES you will get to read it at some point - so long as I get to read Agent Kit ...

      Delete
    2. *claps* Hmm...OF COURSE! I'm so excited for the day when it's ready for the eyes of some of the world. :P It'll be a while, and book 1 will be heading your way first, naturally. BUT SO MUCH EXCITEMENT. Also editing. But we'll ignore that for now.

      Delete
  9. *can now make a comment now that I made it to 50k*
    SO HAPPY FOR YOU! And we're like, almost NaNo twins because we made it on the same day- but you're older :) XD
    I love all of your gifs! They all are exactly the right thing for each section. *nods* You start out excited, and are freaking out most of the way through.
    I had such a blast with you, and so glad you joined the hangout!

    As for me, I am slightly dreading the editing process. I think it might be best if I print it all out and edit it that way. I really want the next draft done by this coming summer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I thought it was SO COOL that we finished on the same day - literally, I think you only finished a couple hours after me xD. GOOO US! *highfive*

      I'm SUPER glad I joined the Hangout too - you guys are the best, and it was SO FUN. I can't wait for April so we can do it all over again xD.

      Ugh, editing. *does not think about how much work I have to do* (and I get to beta for you, okay? Okay *nodnod*)

      Delete
  10. Wow 50K! Now I've never done NaNo but finishing 50k in this month is amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Marrok! You should try NaNo next year - it's hard, but it's a lot of fun :D.

      Delete
  11. CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting. It's always really awesome to feel like a dedicated, weathered writer. After NaNo, you can face anything. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! And yes - NaNo turns us into superwriters that can face any plot challenge and testy character. Mostly xD.

      Delete
  12. SAVANNAH. YOU WON NANO. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. CONGRATULATIONS. *showers you with a thousand different sweet treats*

    You were SO awesome to push on, even when your characters were misbehaving. I really admire how you stuck with your story, no matter what. That's so awesome! I can't wait to see snippets!!! *squeals*

    CONGRATS AGAIN. I AM JUST THRILLED!!!! *twirls*

    (P.S. The gif-usage in this post is perfection.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I DID! *dies of exhaustion* *but still dances in all the sweet treats because I NEED SUGAR OVER HERE*

      Thank you so much, Lauri! *squeals over the encouraging Christine comment* I'm so exited to be finished, but kinda sad that's over xD. And OH MY GOODNESS, CONGRATS TO YOU, TOO! I've been kind slacking on commenting on blogs (sowwy - but I still blame NaNo for all that), but I've been reading your posts and YOU ARE EPIC for hitting 100K!

      *goes off to find some snippets to post in my Monthly Highlights*

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, Savannah, you rock!!!! Congratulations!!!!

    I'm still writing, but I have to say that I'm actually really excited to start editing. I'll probably be dead by the end of it, but I'm excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Grace Anne! It was so satisfying to finally hit 50k :D.

      Oh dear, editing. I'm glad that you're excited to do it - and hopefully you aren't TOO dead by the end of it xD.

      Delete
  14. YAY YOU FINISHED!! :D *gives you ice cream*

    I've been going on and off with the being-behind-on-my-word-count-thing, but I'm really hoping to push through these last couple days! HOPING. *fingers crossed*

    I will be eagerly awaiting those snippets... *waits impatiently*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK, THANK YOU! *devours the ice cream*

      You can do it, Madeline! WRITE THOSE WORDS. *cheers you on*

      I'm almost done with my Monthly Highlights post, so you'll be getting those snippets pretty soon :D.

      Delete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS MATER WRITER SAVANNAH YOU DEFEATED NANOWRIMO!!!!!! =) Can't wait to see the snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I AM THE MASTER WRITER *dons crown* xD. Thank you so much, Micaiah! NaNoWriMo was tons of fun - and maybe I'll be able to convince you to do it with me next year :D.

      Delete
  16. THAT IS SO INCREDIBLE SAVANNAH!!!! That is absolutely awesome. I didn't really complete Nano...or even my goal. But I think I'm not going to beat myself too much over it BECAUSE AND ONLY BECAUSE we moved like smack dab in the middle of November and then my computer wasn't even set up for like a week and half. SOOO whatever I guess :) There's always next year. (WHAT AM I SAYING EVEN.)

    Good job though!

    autumn
    Autumn's Readings + Writings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, AUTUMN! OH WOW - you had to move in the middle of November? Then I congratulate you for being able to write at all - I would have totally given up on even trying xD. Plus SOME WORDS IS BETTER THAN NONE. So you did great :D. And I can't wait for next year (EVEN IF IT WILL BE INSANE xD)!

      Thanks again, Autumn! :)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.