Beautiful Books 2016 - Novel Update


November 12, 2016


   It is the twelfth day of NaNoWriMo.  I think I lost my sanity on day one *dies*.    

yes, the picture has something to do with my story - but I'm not telling what *zips lips*

   So ... the novel that I started NaNo with (The Dreamer's Game - The Game had a title switch) is ... well, kind of not working out XD. I think I might be switching to a different novel at some point (editing Killing Snow, maybe), so I figured that I should tell you guys more about The Dreamer's Game before I put it on the back burner for awhile *nodnod*.

   ANYWAYS, basically this Beautiful Books Linkup post is about me and The Dreamer's Game - the next one might not be ... but it could be. Depends on if my novel fully abandons me or not.

   Carry on. 

1. Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?
   

   That is my mental state. I'm literally banging on the keys and hoping something other than scrap-pile stuff will come out XD. Sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't. End of story. And you guys already heard how my novel is going *points above*. 

2. What's your first sentence (or paragraph)? 

   Oh, dear me. There's no possible way I'm sharing my first paragraph with you, sorry. But I suppose I'll be a nice little dragon and not hoard all my story words - here's the first sentence;


3. Who's your current favorite character in your novel?

   Ooh, that's hard. My story and I aren't really on the same page right now, so ... not many special attachments to any certain character. And that's not to say that I don't love the characters - I do, but I pretty much love 'em all the same. (though, there is one named Matthias that I'm a tad partial to *nodnod*)  

some of the characters *nodnod*

4. What do you love about your novel so far?

   It's ridiculous and crazy and I never know where it's going - literally. I can have a thought bubble pop and pretty much always find a place for it in The Dreamer's Game
   Not even kidding. Just the other day I thought 'I want there to be a giant chess board in this story' and boom, that's where the story went. This story is easy, but I think that's what's making it so hard. I can make it go in any direction, but the story and I don't know what direction to go in!
   Let's put this thing there and then send all the characters over here and put this funny little plot twist in over there and, guess what? No thinking is involved! XD 


   Thus, I do not think *nods sagely*. 

5. Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?

   Huh. None that I can think of - I've had half a million typos appear in my story, but they always annoy me to death so I fix them right away *nodnod*. 
   I am prone to forgetting characters though. Since I pantsed this novel, I only had a few sketchy ideas about it - so when I actually started writing the novel, I kept forgetting the ideas that I had XD. It was kind of amusing to suddenly have characters knocking on my brain and saying 'you forgot me, you forgot me!'  

6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end - and why? 

   ... what kind of question is this?

   Well, I can at least say that the middle is definitely not my favorite. It's like when I tried to crochet - it starts out okay, the middle is normally a great big jumble, but by the end it's kind of okay again XD.

7. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!       

   One writing habit I have is to stop and correct every typo I make. Immediately. Even during word sprints. I just can't stand seeing those pesky little misspelled words!

   Nope, no snacks - I would quite writing and just eat XD. There was that time I bribed myself with rainbow licorice, though. That worked well, I wrote lots of words that day *nods* *eats more rainbow licorice*

   Music just depends. If I feel like grabbing my tablet or my siblings are watching a show that has music, then sure. I don't care, honestly.

   Time of day is probably either morning or evening. I have a very big lack of motivation in afternoon - no idea why *shrugs*. Afternoons are just ... lazy. Mornings and evenings are when I feel like hammering out all the words.

   I have three (normal) writing places - typing on my laptop while sitting on the couch, handwriting in our bedroom (with my hoard of books looking on and probably frowning at my sad attempt of a novel), or typing on my laptop while sitting at the table.   
 

   My normal writing buddies - a random book (Catching Fire hasn't been put on my shelf yet, so it sits next to me and watches me write), a notebook and gel pens (I will not write without gel pens. Just no), and my computer (who lets me bang mercilessly on his keys during word wars *nodnod*)
 
8. How private are you about your novel while you're writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?  

   WHOA does this mean if I work completely alone, I get to be Batman? I didn't know about this deal! *cries* *wonders how many writers have been Batman already* 

   But anyways. I'll normally tell people a little bit about my novel if I'm actually thinking about writing it (I have a horrible problem with plot bunnies), but I work mostly alone until I'm ready to hand it over to beta/alpha readers. 

9. What keeps you writing even when it's hard? 

   My friends. God. All the writers who cheer me up and on (probably without even knowing it). Family. Looking at all the shiny books on my bookshelf and thinking that, someday, maybe my book will look like one of those.
   Reading through an old work that I haven't seen in forever and remembering how much I loved the story. The itch in my fingers when I get a really good idea. The beta readers who want to read my stories even when they're messy. All the 'NaNo '16 Cabin' writers.
   Every single one of you who's ever been even a little bit interested in reading my writings - this blog included. You guys keep me going.

10. What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?

   1. Find some writer friends, even if you normally work alone. Seriously. I mean it. My writing and my motivation to do so always escalate after I have a writer-ly conversation with a friend :D.  Plus, they're normally perfectly open to ranting with you over the hardships of a writer's life - or celebrating wildly once you've reached a major milestone *nods*.

   2. Word Sprints. I command that all ye writers must find someone to do word sprints with you - though this is mostly NaNoWriMo advice. I can normally coax my sister into doing it with me, or one of my NaNo friends will. It ups my word count by a mile, and my word count would definitely be a whole lot lower right now if it wasn't for all the word sprints I've been joining in!

3. Don't worry about first-draft perfection. This can come later. Like ... fifth draft later. I'm not kidding. I gave my third draft to my beta readers, and it definitely wasn't perfect (and many thanks to them for helping me with that project!). And I don't even expect it to be perfect once I give it an edit - it will need many edits before I even think of trying to publish it. So I definitely would never even try to have my first-draft be perfect!

   You would probably wonder why I'm even trying to write if you read my first draft for 'The Dreamer's Game' right now. There is almost no plot. The characters are flat. I don't know where anything is going and all sense has abandoned me. But I like to just have fun with it - it doesn't need to be perfect, so I'm basically just messing around.

   And then later, I'll scrap 3/4 of it and work with what I've got once that happens. I can worry in the second draft, but the first one is all for fun. 

~ Savannah Grace

   How is NaNoWriMo going for you, oh scribbling scribes (or if you aren't doing NaNo, how's your current novel coming along)? Are there any characters you're especially attached to?

23 comments :

  1. It sounds like NaNo is going really well for you! YOU GOT THIS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. :( BUT YOU CAN DO IT! (by the way, love The Game's new title.)

    If it helps any, I'm having a rather rough time too. :P With school and a vacation and busyness and just LIFE, I hardly ever have time to write, thus why my NaNo stats say I'm behind. 20k in two weeks. -.- Which isn't BAD, but. Yes. I can't even talk.

    ... so much exhaustion. *dies*

    Anyway, I hope things start shaping up better for you! Your story sounds great. (awesome first sentence!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I like it a lot better than the old one :D.

      Oh wow - you've definitely working NaNoWriMo in around more stuff than I am! YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU SUPER WRITER PERSON. *gives you all the motivation*

      Delete
  3. Go Savannah! Go Savannah!! Go Savannah!!! :-) (By the way, that first GIF is halarious. :-)
    ~Skylar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (isn't it though? Mostly because it's basically TRUE xD)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry your book is being stubborn! But, for the record, I think it's awesome how you're allowing yourself to write just WHATEVER in it. I love doing that with stories, just letting loose and exploring. Because then you can find what you like and don't like, what's working and not, and by the end, you'll know all the best bits to keep for the rewrite. If you feel the need to switch to another project, that's OKAY. Sometimes books just need to sit a while. But from what little bit I've seen of this book it sounds AWESOME (I mean, the collages, that first sentence! O___O YESH.) and, like, IT NEEDS TO EXIST. So please don't give it up completely. Because we needs this awesomeness in our lives, yes we do, preciousss.

    And as you said, the first draft is for FUN. I loved all your advice in #10! So good! Whatever you decide to do, I hope the rest of your NaNo is an absolute blast!

    You're doing awesome, Savannah! YOU'VE TOTALLY GOT THIS. *fistpump*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing whatever either turns out to be really annoying, really amusing, or really fun. Sometimes a combo of all three *nodnod*. AND GUESS WHAT - The Dreamer's Game won't let me stop XD. Looks like this novel plans to go with me the whole way! And OH MY GOODNESS, Christine, you're always so good at encouraging me to carry on :D. *many hugs*

      YES, the first draft is never really something I stress over too much. Otherwise I think I would go INSANE with how messy my first drafts are XD.

      THANK YOU! *fistbump*

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting--like all of crazy author girl's writing. The Dreamer's Game is such a pretty title, I love it!

    It probably doesn't count as a novel, but my current work in progress would be Catania's Forest, which is coming along. . . okay. I didn't finish it before China, which was the goal, but I'm SO CLOSE to being done. I'm not really particularly attached to any of the characters--most of them drive me crazy on some level. Catania's Forest is not turning out to be the kind of story you can manipulate AT ALL. And there's one character that I really don't like, that's insisting on being kind-of cool. It's really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly IS interesting! And thank you - I rather like the new title myself :D.

      OOH CATANIA'S FOREST. I can't wait until you post it on your blog, I want to read it so crazy bad :D. YOU CAN DO THIS, HANNA! *gives you lots of motivation* (haha, I know things about annoying characters *cough*Cerulean*cough* XD)

      Delete
  6. YOU CAN DO THIS I BELIEVE IN YOU. I really do. =)
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  7. *showers you in confetti and pizza* GO SAVVY GO SAVVY GO SAVVY GO SAVVY!!!!!

    Wow. I LOVED hearing about how you've been going. So sad that the story hasn't been behaving properly, because it sounds really cool. Also the title is just YESSSS.

    Don't forget that I'm here cheering you on always! *hugs and pizza* *also chocolate because I'm nice like that*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *dances in the confetti while eating pizza* THANK YOU, PRILL! (and also, you are INSANE for already beating NaNo. YOU ROCK, GIRL! *shares the pizza with you*)

      Thank you! I'm having so much fun, even if the story doesn't like me half the time XD. I'm loving the title, too - glad you think it's good!

      I WON'T FORGET! *accepts the hugs and pizza* *and obviously the chocolate, too* :D

      Delete
  8. You can SO do this Nano thing. Keep writing!

    Well, I'm preparing to transfer my novel to a Word document from, well, a notebook, and that'll be the second draft. I'm actually excited to get started after a three week break. Oh, I am especially attached to Connor. He is...well, as my main character in a first person POV novel, I'm practically in his head, so how can I not be attached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *keeps writing* :D

      Seriously?! I know how long that can take - GO YOU! I really want to read about your Connor character, he sounds great :D. It'll be fun to be in his head sometime (soon, perhaps?).

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Oh, he's definitely... Something. I hope soon, I'm planning for the second draft to be done in January right now, late December if I'm really fast.

      Delete
  9. Nanooooo!!!! I'm at 24,000 now! Ahhhh! I did a little 'nano' writer art at my blog, Mic's Room (http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/). Ah your blog banner....just so beautiful :D
    I also did a post on 'just keep swimmin' bcause Nano can get so tuff sometmies ;)
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24k?! That's amazing, Mic! I'll have to go and check out your post *nodnod*
      Aw, thank you! It was fun to create. :D

      Delete
  10. Haha, I do the same thing with typos... XD They just bother me too much so I *have* to fix them.

    And I love your writing advice! I usually do word sprints just with a timer and they really help me out! And yes, first drafts are *never* going to be perfect...I would know. XD

    Hopefully, if you decide to switch novels, it goes smoothly! Happy writing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That little red line is so annoying - and even if I turn it off, I still notice all those teeny, tiny, misspelled words XD.

      Word sprints are amazing. I actually think most of the words I've written were written during word sprints :D.

      Thank you, Madeline!

      Delete
  11. Nano -.- I'm at 11,470 words (and somehow finds it extremely hilarious)!!! And I honestly don't think I'll be able to type enough words for the last 15 days :( But I like the experience and the euphoria surrounding NaNoWriMo so I'll keep writing everyday *hopefully*

    Your book seems so cool! Why won't it cooperate?!!?!!?! You should try writing down the end/final scene(s), sometimes that motivates me afterwards to write everything in between until I reach that final scene. +, words count :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't all the NaNo-craziness amazing? I love how all of us writers band together to do this insane thing :D. And YOU CAN DO THIS, TAISHA! WRITE THOSE WORDS *nodnod* *gives you all the motivation*

      Thank you so much! Ooh, you do that too? That's one of my favorite parts to write - I've already written down multiple ways the book could end :D. It's just so FUN!

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.