Book Review - A Question Of Honor by Jesseca Wheaton


May 17, 2017


   When I heard that Jesseca Wheaton had published a book - a historical fiction entitled A Question Of Honor - I knew that I had to have it. And what do you know, I ended up winning an ebook copy of it during an Indie E-con! And it was wonderful - which means I have to share all my thoughts on it with you ;).

Book Review - A Question of Honor, by Jessica Wheaton - Header Image

4 Stars

   I knew Jess when she was in the process of getting A Question Of Honor published (she's one of my buddies in the word-war chat, and she's awesome), so I was REALLY looking forward to reading her work. And it didn't disappoint! This is the first historical fiction book that I've read in a long time, so I wasn't sure what I was going to end up thinking - but I loved it ;).

- From The Back Cover - 

Cover image of A Question of Honor, by Jesseca Wheaton

A man. A child. A war.
When German soldiers invade France during World War II, young Joyanna's perfect world is shattered. In the hands of those who hate her, she battles to comprehend why people can be so ruthless and cold toward those whom they have never met.
David Sullivan, pilot in the Royal Air Force, was certain he would never hate, but a painful loss forces him to either reconsider or do the inconceivable—forgive. He is suddenly challenged by the realization that doing God's will is not easy, but most important. With the lives of freedom-fighters relying on him, he must learn the difficult lesson that he is not in control, but merely one who must surrender his heart of obedience to One greater.
A sudden turn of events lands Joyanna and David in the same country—but for far different reasons. When their paths cross, David finds he must make a decision that will affect them both for the rest of their lives.
Will he chose vengeance, or will he let his life be ruled by a higher standard? A standard of Honor.


A quote from A Question Of Honor, by Jesseca Wheaton
   - It was obvious that the author did her research. What with it being historical fiction and all (the story is set during World War II), an author would obviously have needed to do research - but I think Jesseca did an especially good job. The story felt real - and while I'm definitely not an expert, it seemed like it could be something that actually happened during that time period.

   - The way the character's plots worked together. There was a well-rounded cast of characters, both on the right and the wrong side, and I loved how all their plots worked together! None of the characters were there simply to be there - they all definitely played a role in A Question Of Honor. And it's always nice to read a book that doesn't have "fly on the wall" type characters :). 

   - The ending for "one character in particular whom I shall not name because #spoilers'. Gracious, that sounds confusing - especially when you add it to the fact that I didn't actually like this character's end, I just like that the author ended it really realistically! xD. (highlight the rest of this section if you want to know what I mean, because I'll be tossing spoilers about): ... Basically, I like what the author decided to have happen to Erich in the end. I really really wanted there to be a 'redemption story' for him, but I realized that it just wasn't realistic. So I really admire that Jesseca did what was right for the character and the story in the way that Erich was still on the wrong side at the end of A Question Of Honor. ...  

   - It didn't feel self-published. Admit it - right off the bat, there are some books that you can pin-point as "self published". Whether it's the cover, the formatting, or the story itself, we can sometimes tell. And I knew A Question Of Honor was self published when I started reading it (I first read it as an ebook), but the story was incredible! And then, when my library bought the book and I was able to get the physical copy, I was very impressed by the cover and formatting - and if I hadn't already known, I would never have suspected that A Question Of Honor was an indie published book!


A quote from A Question Of Honor, by Jesseca Wheaton
   - I couldn't picture the setting as well as I'd have liked. But I think could have been more my fault that the author's! This is one of the only (and may be the only, seeing as I have the brain of a goldfish) World War II stories that I've read, so I had a bit of a harder time imagining what the setting was like. But it wasn't that bad, and I was still able to enjoy the story - I almost read it all in one sitting! (and I would have, if it wasn't for lunch interrupting me, pesky little thing. Who needs food when you have books?) 

   - The genre wasn't my favorite. I feel like this is irrelevant though? I mean, I chose to read the book, and I knew what genre it would be in. But I think this book didn't get a full five stars (or at least four and a half) because, while I loved it, I typically won't read a historical fiction book twice. And most of my five-star books are the ones I will hug and pet and squeal over for 1.7 million years *shrugs*.  

   A Question Of Honor is most definitely a book I would recommend to anyone who loves a good historical fiction - the characters were amazing, and the plot was so very good. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and I hope all of you who decide to give it a try do, too ;).   

~ Savannah Grace

   Do you read historical fiction often, or not? Have you read A Question of Honor?

34 comments :

  1. I beta read for A Question of Honor, but I have yet to get a paperback copy. I bet it looks really amazing! :) I wish I could see it in paperback form... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you did? That's so cool! I love beta reading so much, it's so fun <3. And yes, do get A Question Of Honor in paperback! It's beautiful ;).

      Delete
  2. I got this book to review read and I haven't managed to get the time to read it yet. >.< BUT I MUST READ IT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GREAT. *shoves everything else aside to read*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT, PRILL xD. It's a great book! If you like historical fiction, I think you'll love it.

      Delete
  3. Nice review, Savannah! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get this one! It sounds really good!! I love biographies so even though this one isn't true it is historical. I think I would enjoy reading this!! Thanks for the review, Savannah!

    - Lilly Shyree (alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't quite call it a biography, but it definitely IS historical, so you might really enjoy it! Thanks for reading, Lilly <3.

      Delete
    2. I know that this isn't a biography. I just meant that I love things that could be true and are historically accurate. ;)

      Delete
  5. Also, I didn't know what you meant by "highlight to see what I mean." I then highlighted and was like, "WOW!" That is really cool!! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah - I can't remember who taught me that trick, but it's a good way to hide spoilers :D>

      Delete
    2. I'll keep that in mind next time I do a book review. xD

      Delete
  6. I like some historical fiction, but....... I get bored easily. :| I'm weird like that. There has to be a REAL cool/weird/interesting thing going on to catch my eye.
    Plus I can't stand war. Especially WWII. *cringes* My mum showed me The Hiding Place, and I cried. Then I got mad at her for showing it to me. *cries* *stomps about the room* MY sister was a MESS.
    So, yeah.
    BUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT, I might read THIS. It looks TOO GOOD to pass up. xD And those snippets...... Yeah. I'm gonna read this. Sorry, eyes. You gon cry tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally read historical fiction, so I didn't except to like A Question Of Honor as much as I did - but I guess I was really in the mood for a historical book! :D

      Yep - if you cry over books, you might cry during this book xD. *hands you tissues in advance*

      Delete
  7. This looks really good! I'll have to read it soon. I adore historical fiction, especially good historical fiction, and I am always on the lookout for more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, really? Definitely add this to your tbr, then! Thanks for reading, Evangeline ;).

      Delete
  8. I really need to buy myself a copy of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read much WWII stuff either, but this looks really good! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - but I enjoyed this one! Thanks for reading, Madeline ;).

      Delete
  10. Oooh, you've read it! I absolutely loved it, but I still need to get a paperback copy. This is an amazing book *nods* And Gil. </3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super surprised how pretty it was when I picked up a copy from the library! And YES GIL </3.

      Delete
  11. Ooooo.......I love historical fiction. Might need to borrow that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a copy I might lend it to you - but mine came from the library, haha :D.

      Delete
  12. I love this book!! And, yes (obviously) I have read it. :P I can't wait for the next in the series. I think she's doing another one with Erich too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, really? I NEED to get my hands on that, it'd be so good!

      Delete
  13. Ooh!! Awesome review, sis! I'm not TOTALLY into historical ficton, but I should give it a try again. ;)
    Jaidyn Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, neither am I, but I enjoyed this - so maybe you would, to! ;)

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should try this book, then! =)
      Thanks for the awesome review! ;)

      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
  14. Ahh I really can't wait to read this! Like you, it's not in my usual and preferred genera, but I do enjoy a good Historical Fiction every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until you're able to read it! Spec. fiction is what I'm into, but it's nice to take a break now and then.

      Delete
  15. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Sav! especially since you don't normally read historical fic. ;) And I loved reading your review! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I was able to read it! You did AMAZING - I hope my book turns out as well-done as this if I self-publish. I'm glad you enjoyed my review! <3

      Delete
  16. This was one of the best books ever. :) It's on my top favorite historical fiction books.... wow. It also made me cry so THAT MADE IT BETTER, HA. :D
    Shalom, Savvy. ;)
    -Ang | thepeculiarmessenger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.