Monthly Highlights - May 2017


May 29, 2017


   I may or may not have slacked (...or taken an unexpected almost-hiatus?) on doing posts in May. My apologizes - but I was sick, so I do have an excuse! But here I am to tell you all about the random things that happened to me in May ... 



  - Our baby robins (a pretty little mama robin decided to build her nest right outside our window - er, she reused an old one that was already there xD) are getting huge and adorable. I have to admit, when they're newborn and slimy ... well, they aren't all that cute - but now that they have fuzzy little feathers and teeny black eyes, they're adorable.

Two and a half week old baby robins
a bad picture of them, because they INSISTED on sleeping all day xD

   - We handed out May Day baskets and went to multiple graduation parties, which was tons of fun - May was definitely a very busy and very epic month ;). And I'm almost done with school - it'll be super awesome to start summer break. 


   I would say "where do I even start?" ... but I started last month's Writing-ly Things section like that, so let's not be repetitive xD.

   - I wrote roughly 22,890 words this month - and I say roughly because I wrote words for so many different projects that I don't think they're all present and accounted for!  

   - I started on a brand new writing project, but I can't tell you what it is yet ;). But I CAN tell you that you'll know more about it on the 1st of June. I'm super super excited about it though, so definitely be watching out for that post.

   - Killing Snow got a lot more words added to it during the month of May. I didn't get near as many as I wanted to - I meant to get it all done, and I only got three fourths of it done - but I'd say that it was very, very good progress. I'm planning to getting the rest of it done in June, but considering the new project I mentioned above, I might not finish the whole of it. But, to stick with the schedule, I need to get a good deal of it done, so I'm certainly going to try. 

   Well, I'd share snippets, but I don't have the time to go looking through all the junk I wrote to find good bits to share. Guess I'll owe you extra snippets in June, huh? ;)



12 books that I read in May

Worst book:  Swipe by Evan Angler (and may I mention that it wasn't a bad book? It just wasn't up to par compared to the rest of the almost-all-four-stars-or-above-books that I read during the rest of the month)
Best book: Probably North! Or Be Eaten (don't judge it by the title, because I did) by Andrew Peterson, though When Ravens Fall would have come close, if it wasn't a novella - though, if I could include A Time To Rise by Nadine Brandes (and I technically can't, because I read it last month, but wasn't able to include it in April's Monthly Highlights, since I finished it after it was published), IT WOULD TAKE THE CAKE.

   Wow, so I rambled on much longer than I thought I would. Let's get on with this, shall we? ;)

   - North! Or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson. I read the first book in this series (The Wingfeather Saga) in May as well, but the second book - this one - definitely surpassed it, I'm so glad I decided to continue with this series. I was a little worried during the beginning, because I was having a bit of a hard time getting attached to the book, but by the end WOW. I love this thing so much. I need the next one. I'm giving this one a beautiful 4 1/2 stars. 

   - When Ravens Fall by Savannah Jezowski. I'd read another novella by this author, and it was AMAZING, so I was expecting good things from When Ravens Fall - and it didn't disappoint at all! It was such a beautiful novella, and the things that surprised me the most was that it didn't feel like a novella. Most novellas that I read feel like they're a bit short and moving a little too fast - but this one felt like it was a novel. It was lovely, and I adored this read. Definitely worth the 4 1/2 stars I'm giving it.  

   - A Time To Rise by Nadine Brandes. This is my blog so WHO CARES if I read this book during the last few bits of April. I didn't include it before, so I'm including it - it was too good for me not to! Seriously, like I said last month, if I had to pick a top-favorite series, the Out Of Time Series would be a top contender. I have never cried over a book in my life, but I think this one brought me the closest (and yet I've still never cried over a book *sighs*). Nadine is a BRILLIANT storyteller. Hopefully I'll get a full review of this book up during June, but for now I'll just say that I give it a full 5 stars.

   I also reviewed A Question Of Honor this month, so do check that out if you want more of my bookish thoughts ;).


http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-voicesofya-tag.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/05/book-review-question-of-honor-by.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/05/5-easy-ways-to-recover-from-camp.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/05/how-to-liven-up-your-main-character.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-camp-nanowrimo-adventure-april-2017.html


   - Mary Horton did a beautiful post about imperfect beauty (ironically xD)

   - Burning Youth may have posted my favorite post of their's this month <3 <3 <3.  

   - Katie Grace posted about all the bookish and writer-ly things - which was super fun to read about.

   - Nadine did a post on 20 books you should add to her summer reading list, (and Jonathan did one, too) and my TBR just got bigger (and I might steal Nadine's post idea because other people have, haha ;))

   - Amanda Beguerie did a post that I love so much, and I can't even find a way to explain it, so I'll just leave you with this link. <3

   - Hannah White did a post on explaining your story to other people and OH BOY was it helpful.

   - Shantelle spotlighted a book titled Unraveling (by Sara Ella) and OH MY. I though I'd buy it for the cover alone, and then the excerpt had me sold. I need the thing xD.


   I'll be finishing off the How To Liven Up Your Character series in June - we only have one post left! And then there's a special post I'll be doing on the 1st that I'm really really excited about.

   But I can't tell you what it is - so I suppose you'll have to wait and see ;).

~ Savannah Grace 

   How was your May? Do you know what my post on the 1st is going to be? What do you want me to do a series on after the How To Liven Up Your Character series is done?

28 comments :

  1. OH MY GOODNESS. I think I know what your new secret project is, and why we'll hear more about it on June 1st!!! :D :D :D I'll be doing a certain post on June 1st, too. *wriggles eyebrows* BUT YOU STARTED A NEW WRITING PROJECT. I AM SO EXCITED AND CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT IT. *flails*

    I can't wait for your next Liven Up Your Characters post! But I'm also soooo sad it's the last. *sniffles*

    I do so hope you have an amazing June! (But can you believe it's nearly June??? WHAT HAPPENED TO MAY?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK YOU DO, TOO! I'm so so excited to show you guys that post, it's going to be awesome :D. Can't wait for tomorrow! (and YAY for you ending your hiatus tomorrow! We missed you *hugs*)

      Aw, I'm glad that you liked them so much! But it's going to be a fun post, so I'm excited ;).

      WE'RE ALMOST HALFWAY THROUGH 2017. I want another May xD.

      Delete
  2. My May was great! I know exactly what your post on the first is going to be- I'm doing the same thing (mwah ha ha to anyone oblivious in the comments)

    And yay! You liked North! Or Be Eaten! It just keeps getting better, too. Monster in the Hollows isn't as good (at least IMHO), but the fourth one is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER AND I WANT TO FLAIL AND DIE. Sorry :P I'm so glad you're liking it, though!

    And I must read the Out of Time series... just can't afford it yet :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW - I saw you mention that you're doing it too, and I was so excited, haha xD.

      Monster In The Hollows is currently waiting for me in the other room, so I'm SUPER excited to get it. And I might buy the last one before I even read it because I KNOW I'm going to wait to keep it! xD

      YES, do! It's one of my favorites *hugs the series*.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness five posts in a month is slacking?? Honestly I'm over here like HOW DO YOU BLOG SO MUCH AND SO WELL. XD

    Also yeess I'm so glad you've started The Wingfeather Saga. *nods* (and I totally judged book 2 by it's title also. LIKE WHAT EVEN IS WITH THAT TITLE *cringes*) If you enjoyed the first two then you'll LOOOOVE the 3rd and the 4th- they're even more complex and exciting and overall fantastic. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH - but it's not me it's my small dragon that I keep around for emergencies. He blogs for me when I'm sick and can't word, obviously xD.

      I KNOW - that's what my sister (Ariel) said right when she saw North! Or Be Eaten in my post. Who thought of that title xD. I'm so excited to finish the rest of the series!

      Delete
  4. I'm just a randomer who's probably going to stay but it's really nice to know that you've been productive with your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Grace! I'm excited to have you around <3.

      Delete
  5. I KNOW WHAT THE JUNE 1st post is MWAHAHAHAHA. (and geeeeee I'm excited cuz I haven't even seen the post yet!!)
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OF COURSE YOU DO, haha xD. Can't wait to post it!

      Delete
  6. *long gasp*

    ONLY ONE MORE LIVEN UP YOUR CHARACTERS POST?! Aww... I have really enjoyed it though! I was on Go Teen Writers and found the one about Mentors, and I've been reading your blog ever since! Still can't wait for the Final one. :D

    Also, Wingfeather Saga! I'm partway through North! Or Be Eaten. Or I was last time I read it. xD

    (Can't wait for the secret project, either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I'm sad that YOU'RE sad that I'm ending - I'm super happy that you really really liked them xD. (*whispers* and don't worry, I have another series coming after this - I just can't tell you about it yet ;))

      Ooh, seriously? Cool! What do you think of the series so far?

      Delete
  7. Wow, awesome post, girl!! ;)
    *sing song voice* LOOOVVEED IT!! =DD
    Jaidyn Elise
    BTW, I know what your June first post is....BWAHAHAHAHA!! xD
    Jaidyn Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPOILER ALERT:
    I liked Swipe, and, to tell you the truth, I likes it. The second book wasn't bad, either. But the last two.... Ugh. It seemed like someone else authored the last two books. The writing style was totally different. The very last book was SO RANDOM. Evan Angler switched main characters just like that! He didn't even say what happened to Logan in the end.
    I was disappointed. *cries*
    I think I need to read the Wingfeather Saga because EVERYONE seems to love it. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the entire Swipe series (this was a re-read) a couple years ago, and I AGREE. The last two books - well, mostly the fourth book - weren't that good. I think I wouldn't have minded so much if there was a fifth book explaining the randomness in the fourth book, but THERE'S NOT. It's all very strange xD.

      Delete
    2. Oh, lol! It's really weird. Maybe there will be a fifth book sometime, but I don't think that's happening. I was like, "I want to see what happens to LOGAN!" *flails* My mum read it, and she agreed with me.
      lolzy!

      Delete
  9. Welcome back from your lil hautus! I too have been muddling through a sickness.
    I definately need to reread On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. That book is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear that you're sick, too!
      OtEotDSoD wasn't my favorite, but it was good enough to make me want to see if the series got better. And it DEFINITELY did, so I'm excited to read the third book!

      Delete
  10. WHAT YOU WROTE ALMOST 23K THIS MONTH?? Goshhhh. I meant to write a lot, but so far I've only written like 15k. #oops I'm going to try to finish this short story tonight - WISH ME LUCK. XD

    *bangs head on keyboard because of your secret writing project* Almost everyone except me knows what it's about AND I'M JUST OVER HERE DYING OF SUSPENSE. ;P

    Also, you linked to my postttttt. THANK YOU, SAV. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I DID, and now I'm exhausted xD. I wish you all the luck in the word! Glitter Queen story-words are the best *nodnod*.

      WELL NOW YOU KNOW *points at my June 1st post* :D.

      You're welcome! It was an epic post <3.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Savannah! Can I just say that I love your blog?? I always really enjoy reading monthly wrap-ups! In fact, we may be kindred spirits... See why by checking out my own May 2017 wrap-up post.

    thecheapskatebibliomanic.blogspot.com

    Again, yours is one of my favorite blogs! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Delilah! (and ohmygoodness, you have the prettiest name! Sounds like something I would name one of my story characters) I'll have to check out your blog! It's fun to meet new internet friends ;).

      Thanks for commenting, Delilah Red!

      Delete
    2. Actually, it isn't my real name, but I thought it might make a cool blogging pseudonym, so thank you anyway!! I'm writing a Red Riding Hood twist (first draft reached approx. 100,000 words! Yaaaay!), and her real name is Delilah, so that's the meaning behind it :) I talk about writing on my blog, too, and your posts about word count goals that you COMPLETED has really inspired me to set my own goals! You're awesome, Sav! Hope we can be internet friends!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, a retelling of Red Riding Hood? I've always wanted to write one of those - and your's is HUGE! I can't believe it's at 100k words! Amazing job, girl *highfive*.

      Aw, thank you so much, Delilah!

      Delete
  12. Agh, yay, glad that you'll finish the How to Liven Up Your Character series! I loved the last post you did. :) 22K??? I barely edited my novel, and only got plot down for my fantasy novel. *cries* I WANT TO BE PRODUCTIVE LIKE YOOOOOOOU.

    How'd you like The Hunger Games? I'm planning on reading it in the summer, and I'm just wondering about everyone's thoughts on it. :)

    Love this post, Savannah!

    may @ forever and everly

    PS Sorry I haven't been commenting much on your blog! I promise I'll do it more often now that school's out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, May! I'm excited to do that last post this month ;). And OH MY GOOD GRACIOUS, you have no idea how hard it was to hit that 22k. Setting lots of goals (*cough* and bribing yourself with candy *cough*) help a lot with motivation xD. YOU CAN DO IT, MAY!

      I really liked The Hunger Games (I've re-read it so many times), but it's definitely not everybody's cup of tea. You'll have to tell me what you think of it if you do decide to read it!

      (oh, you're totally fine, May! But I do look forward to reading more of your comments :D)

      Delete
  13. I heard about Nadine Brandes' trilogy this week from someone else. It's now on my wish-list on Amazon. Glad you liked it too! Isn't it great when people agree on book recommendations? It makes them so much more valid and easier to trust ;)

    https://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.