Beautiful People - Raven Gale (August 2017)


August 8, 2017


   So I didn't plan on joining in the Beautiful People linkup this month - but then I saw the questions, and it felt like they were pretty much made for Raven. She's the main character in my YA sci-fi/dystopian novel, Killing Snow - which I'm currently rewriting (and rewriting and rewriting and REWRITING) xD. I don't think I've told you guys much about her, so I figured it was high time that I did!

   (quick note before I start - you might want to go read the description of Killing Snow over on my Writings page before you read further, otherwise the answers to these questions may mightily confuse you. And we wouldn't want that now, would we? ;D)   

Beautiful People - Raven Gale (August 2017) [Header Image}
__________________________________________________________________________________________

 What Can't They Live Without?  
 __________________________________________________________________________________________


Raven Gale (story character image)
   Her brother, Robin. Since Raven's been trapped on the Aeriel (the airship she lives on) for multiple years, she hasn't been able to see him for a long time - but if you asked her to pick only one living thing in the world to save, she's say Robin. But another thing that she'd find really hard to give up would be her strength - Raven goes insane when she feels helpless, since she's used to relying on herself. 

_____________________________________________________________

   Name 2 Positive And 2 Negative Qualities About Your Character  

_____________________________________________________________


   Okay, positives first - 1) if Raven sets her mind to something, it's going to get done. No matter what. 2) She's incredibly loyal, and she'll go to pretty great lengths for anyone she loves. But then ... there are negatives to go with the positives. 1) Raven's distrustful. The Aeriel isn't a safe place to live, and so she'll either put her trust in you completely, or she won't really trust you at all. It takes her awhile to learn that someone's safe. 2) Raven's a pessimist - well, okay, she says she's a "realist". But she can come off as pessimistic, since she's used to balancing out her very optimistic best friend, Elyse.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________

   Are They Holding Onto Something They Should Get Rid Of?

__________________________________________________________________________________________


   Not telling. Partially because I don't know, partially because #SPOILERS. xD

__________________________________________________________________________________________

   If 10 Is Completely Organized And 1 Is Completely Messy, Where Do They Fall On The Scale?   
______________________________________________________________________________________________________  


Raven Gale (story character image)
  If there's a choice to be organized or messy, Raven would normally chose organized, depending on how long it would take her to get organized. Time is money on the Aeriel, and she most of the time Raven doesn't have much of it. So I'd probably give her a four - though, if she were living on earth instead of the Aeriel, she'd probably get a seven or eight.

_______________________________________________________________

 

 What Frustrates Them About The World They Live In?

_______________________________________________________________


   The fear that everyone lives under on the Aeriel. The fact that she can't go home - that none of them can go home - even though she wants to, badly. The thought that maybe she can't win the fight, and that she could die without seeing her brother again. The reality that sometimes she isn't strong enough to save everyone, even when she wants to be. And the remembrance that, once upon a time, the Aeriel was a wonderful place to live. And those are only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of things that frustrate Raven, honestly.

 __________________________________________________________________________________________

 How Would They Dress For A Night Out? How Would They Dress For A Night In?
  __________________________________________________________________________________________


   Raven hasn't had a "night out" since she boarded the Aeriel - but if she were to have a night out (which would probably mean going to a party with her friends instead of scavenging for food to eat the next day), she'd probably be found wearing a violently red dress, minimal makeup (unless her friends convince her to wear more), little to no jewelry, and shoes that are pretty, but sturdy enough that she could run if she had to. And for a night in? Tee-shirt and jeans / comfy pants. On the Aeriel, clothes don't matter too much so long as they can keep you covered. No one has the time or money (or resources) to be picky.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

   How Many Shoes Do They Own, And What Kind?
__________________________________________________________________________________________


Raven Gale (story character image)
   Probably about five pairs, and at least two of them would be pretty worn out. Most likely she has one nice-but-also-impractical pair, which still looks pretty new - but that's only because they are impractical. There'd probably be two pairs of combat boots, fairly scuffed up. And one pair of tennis shoes, also starting to get a bit ratty, but they work just fine. And then there's a sturdy pair of brown ballet flats, but the tennis shoes or boots are normally her first choice.    

_____________________________________________________________

   Do They Have Any Pets? What Pet Do They WISH They Had? 
_____________________________________________________________


   On the Aeriel? No, Raven doesn't have any pets ... though, she might have had a cat once, when she was living on Earth, but I can't remember. Raven isn't quite the type to have a pet - but if she did, she's pick some rangy mutt that she knows could take care of itself. And she probably wouldn't "pick" him at all - they'd probably run into each other, he'd refuse to leave, and she's be stuck with him until she realizes she loves him. Something like that, And then they'd probably take turns saving each other. The Aeriel isn't the safest place, if you haven't already figured that out xD.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What's Usually In Their Fridge Or Pantry?
__________________________________________________________________________________________


   Not much, and sometimes there's actually nothing. But when there is something, it's normally whatever vegetables Raven could find in the (partially dying) community garden, or whatever else she can scavenge when she's out and about.

__________________________________________________________________________________________


   Is There Something Or Someone They Resent? Why And What Happened?

__________________________________________________________________________________________


   Yes, yes, and yes. All the yeses. And I'm not telling why or what. Spoilers, darlings.


   So THAT isn't the most interesting question to end on, but there you have it. My smol Raven is covered in spoilers, but hopefully you had fun getting to know a little bit more about her! ;D

~ Savannah Grace

   So, what did you think of Raven? What's one thing your main character can't live without?

* except for the first image, none of the pictures in this post are mine

38 comments :

  1. Ooo...I really need to do this for my story blog. *adds to long list of blog posts I need to do in the near future* Man, I have a lot to do on the blogosphere to keep up. *groans* Why do I do this to myself??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, you should! I'd love to read it! Haha, good luck shoveling through the amount of blogosphere things to do! (trust me - I'm being buried alive, too xD)

      Delete
  2. Hey girl! I saw this post and had to comment😊 So I am also writing a Snow story for the competion and I love your story! One of my characters, in another story, is almost like Raven yet they're almost opposites XD any way to answer your question.. My character cannot live without revenge.. yup😉 Hope you have a great day!
    Ry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you are? That's so epic! Killing Snow isn't actually for the contest, but I AM entering - just with a different story ;). And it's so neat that you are, as well! Best of luck to you, friend!

      Delete
  3. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    All I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I didn't get a chance to comment on your actual post, but I think it'd be AWESOME if you tried your hand at a retelling of Thesus and the Minotaur!! I think you could pull off mythology really well! I would certainly recommend researching that story--when you have time. *dagger eyes at Cerulean*

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks, girl! <3

      Ahaha, yeah, Cerulean (and all the other characters!) are making things difficult. They're terrible distracting xD. But when I do have time to really research it (... like in the next few years ...) I might have to give it a shot!

      Delete
  4. Your story. I NEEDS. Savannah, make your story available! Please! Give it to us!

    Ahem.

    Anyway... this is awesome. I'll be doing a BP on my blog this month, although the character is still TBD. Keep an eye out for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP, FAITH. <3 Thank you so much, girl! I can't WAIT until Killing Snow is available for everyone to read :D.

      *gasps* You ARE? I can't wait to read it! Your characters are always so epic.

      Delete
  5. I remember her from awaaaay back beta reading, BUT SHE SOUNDS EVEN COOLER NOW. *flails* YAS. I love all these answers. <33

    That last question though. *squints suspiciously* Savvy would never be mean to her character, right? RIGHT???? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you guys beta read it such a long time ago xD. I'm SO GLAD she seems cooler now! I'm excited for you guys to see the 'new Killing Snow' someday!

      Of course not? Why would you think such things? I'm an incredibly friendly author? *slinks cautiously away* *and does more terrible things to my poor characters* xD

      Delete
  6. This sounds really intriguing! Raven seems like the kind of character I identify with, too - loyal, and afraid of being helpless. I enjoyed this glimpse into your story! :)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Jem! Thanks for reading! ;)

      Delete
  7. Well Raven sounds fantastic and I would love to be friends with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are fantastic too and I'm glad you like her. xD

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an awesome retelling, and Raven sounds like a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven's definitely a fighter ;). Thanks for reading, Skye!

      Delete
  9. RAVEN!!!!! RAVEN I MISS YOU AND CERULEAN!!!!!! Tell Savannah to let me beta read again, okay? =)

    The one thing my MC CANNOT live without.... For my current MC, Nichole, it'd be her little sister, even though she dirves Nichole insane. =)

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MICAIAH - I was literally grinning while I read your comment ;D. You absolutely get a free pass to beta read when Killing Snow is ready!

      Aw, I like your main character already! Which story is she in?

      Delete
  10. Huzzah for sibling relationships!!!! I love reading about those, but I don't see them often enough.
    Raven sounds like an interesting character with a very secret side. ;)It can be hard to answer the questions without giving stuff away!
    I did Beautiful People this month too! My main character is addicted to storytelling. If you want to see the rest of the answers, you can check out the post on my blog!
    Good luck with Killing Snow!

    https://thestorysponge.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/beautiful-people-27clearly-i-know-my-character-like-i-know-the-back-of-my-hand/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Ilyon Chronicles has epic sibling relationships in it, if you haven't read that series yet ;).

      Exactly! That's why I have a hard time with BP - so many SPOILERS!

      Thanks for reading, friend!

      Delete
  11. Raven's connection to mutts is just adorable! <333 The world you've created sounds pretty harsh, but I love it so much!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Harsh" is most definitely one word for it xD. Thanks, Abigail! I'm glad you enjoyed this :D.

      Delete
  12. AGHSFAJLSDHKFJH. As soon as I saw you were doing Raven I wigged out. AKJSDFHALKSDJF I WANNA READ ABOUT THIS GIRL SO BADLY. And all your answers were so intriguing! I love how you answered the pet question XP SHE SHOULD GET A PET ON THE AERIAL SO THAT THIS CAN HAPPEN CAUSE IT WOULD BE SO FUNNY AND CUTE. but like, dude. NOT A NICE LAST QUESTION THERE. *pouts* I WANT TO KNOW MORRRRRE. *flops away dejectedly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AKJGLJAGHDJKA, HANNAH <3 <3. I'm so glad you liked this! And I WANT TO YOU TO READ ABOUT RAVEN, TOO - except the story is an embarrassing wreck right now so WE'LL WAIT xD.

      AHAHA, yup, that last question is never being answered ever. Well, until Killing Snow is released into the world. Maybe then xD. Except I feel like I'll have to wait FOREVER for that to happen, so ... *flops dejectedly away with you* xD.

      Delete
  13. this was so interesting! i'm in my first-draft of writing, so i haven't really got all that much information about my characters. but honestly, some of ravens behaviours/positive/negative characteristics are pretty similar to my main character, Erin. One thing my main charactrer can't live without? probably her loved ones, but honestly? food??? idk she's pretty rough-and-tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's so cool! I think I'd like your Erin character ;).

      "but honestly? food???" Hahaha, that made me laugh xD. But I guess it's true? She probably wouldn't get very far without food? xD

      Best of luck with your writing, Deeja!

      Delete
  14. I SO LOVED GETTING A CLOSER LOOK AT ONE OF YOUR EPIC CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!! And Raven sounds like such a precious, broken child. POOR THING.

    That's so sweet how much she cares about her brother. I'm ALL about sibling relationships in fiction. THEY'RE THE BEST.

    Your world sounds so grim and gritty and detailed and I LOVE IT ALREADY.

    Keep writing (or...rewriting), Savannah! THE WORLD NEEDS THIS STORYYYY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT - and yes, I can't be nice to my charries if my life depended on it. The underprivileged dears. I try not to get them killed, at least? xD

      I KNOW - I always end up having sibling relationships in my stories. But I guess it's only natural, seeing as I come from a big family, and the world would be completely lopsided if I didn't have my siblings - so my characters need some, too! xD

      Delete
  15. Loved all your answers!! I'm SUPER curious about this story, Savannah...the Aerial both intrigues and terrifies me. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aeriel both intrigues and terrifies ME, and I'm the one who wrote it! xD But I'm glad you enjoyed this! Thanks for reading ;).

      Delete
  16. Great post! ^_^ And yeah you should totally have Raven get a dog. (*whispers* Or like Elyse drops it off on Raven's porch for Raven's birthday or something and Raven can't really say NO... ;))
    NOW THAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH RAVEN WE *EXPECT* ONE WITH CERULEAN. *crosses arms and nods* xD
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sister! Ahaha, I should have known you would comment on that fact that Raven should get a dog! And MAYBE I'll do one with Cerulean. MAYBE. We'll have to see about that xD.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE THIS!!! I love Raven. I wish there were more questions. That was fun to read.
    One thing my main character can't live without? Food and water. Though, that's just obvious. Well, my character's tough and doesn't really know he needs others. He's used to being mistreated or abandoned by those he loves or trusts. I know, I'm mean. lol
    How's Killing Snow? I'd love to beta read maybe. I'm so intrigued. Though, I wouldn't be much help with grammar. lol That's my weak spot, but I could make sure things sound clear....lol
    Anyway, great post and God bless! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, LHE! I'm glad this was fun for you! :D

      Aw, you are mean to the poor boy! xD BUT he also sounds like he'd be a really really epic main character, so ... you're doing good! xD

      Maybe! I'm hoping to have a call for beta readers sometime in the later half of 2018 :D.

      Thank you, friend! Same to you ;).

      Delete
    2. It was, and you're welcome! :)

      I am! *sobs* Thank you, that's really encouraging! I hope he meets your expectations and that I stick with him....*sigh*

      lol, Well, whenever you're ready.... :D

      You're welcome, and thanks. <3

      Delete
  18. Awesome post! I'm already SO intrigued by Raven and want to know more! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.