Highlights Of August 2017


August 28, 2017


   August was one of the best months in 2017. That is all and everything that needs saying.

highlights of august 2017

monthly highlights


   Okay VERY BIGGEST NEWS first - this little guy was born!

my adorable brother, little Jonah <3


   Little baby Jonah - DEFINITELY the biggest highlight of this month! The excitement levels are high at our house!  Jonah's absolutely adorable and I love him so much <3 <3 <3. He can be a little fussy (trust me, if he doesn't like something he lets you know about it xD), but his happy coos are so adorable <3. And now I'm a big sister six times over!

   Besides that ultra-exciting piece of news (trust me, I could have bombarded you with so many pictures of him - Jonah has already had about a two hundred pictures taken xD) - I also got to edit and alpha a lot of story-words this month! I love love love editing/alphaing/betaing so much, you guys have no idea (Yes I know I'm weird - who even happily volunteers to edit things?? *raises hand* apparently me.). I alpha-read It's Reality by Julia Ryan and edited Five Golden Apples by Clare Farrelly during August,  and they were both amazing stories.  

   And of course, there was the eclipse. We didn't end up getting glasses, but we spent a good portion of the morning watching the NASA livestream, and then decided last-minute (literally about half an hour before the eclipse would really hit us) to make pinhole viewers and see if they would work. They ... uh, didn't xD. But it was still super fun to hang out with our neighbor and watch as the world turned grey and all the little night-time critters came out for a bit. Literally, the yard was SWARMING with crickets, and these pretty little moths were fluttering around. So even if we didn't get to directly view the eclipse, it was still super fun! 

   Also I'm doing a (very) minor redesigning of my blog. You might have already seen some of the changes around here (- or not, they're pretty subtle), but if anything seems wonky or inconsistent on Scattered Scribblings in this next week or so, that's why xD. 

writerly things



   Lots and lots of stuff happened in the writing world this month, you guys.

   First of all I WROTE 26K WORDS (roughly xD). I didn't really mean to write that many? It was halfway a surprise? It's even more than I wrote for Camp NaNoWriMo last month?? But I finally decided to buckle down and churn out a bunch of words for my Snow White retelling this month, so I guess it makes sense xD.

   Speaking of which, my Snow White retelling is coming along splendidly! I kind of ended up dropping my first novella (the one with the Saudi Arabian MC - maybe I'll pick it up again some other time), and I'm focusing solely on my second one. It's probably going to be the one I enter, and I'm hoping to be able to start looking for alphas + tell you guys more about it in mid-September!

   But as of now, I'm still working on putting the whole thing together. I'm in the middle of stitching my zero-draft into a first-draft, and it's kind of hard and complicated (maybe I should do a post on it sometime), but SO much fun.

   And maybe I'll show you a snippet or two from my Snow White novella next month. No promises whatsoever xD. 
   
bookishness



collage of the books I read in august
+ Gregor The Overlander by Suzanne Collins

   The books (well, most of them - I did read a few that I didn't enjoy) were utterly amazing this month, I was so happy! And while I'd LOVE to talk about all of them, I'm only going to mention the best ones (that I haven't reviewed, like I did with Caraval and Unraveling), because otherwise we'd be here all day! (but if I read any of your favorite books this month, let us flail together in the comments!)

   - The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. So, confession, I almost DNFed this book in the first couple chapters. I was thrown off because the voice didn't feel like Inkheart's (another Cornelia Funke book), and I kind of expected it to? But once I got over the fact that this book was going to be a little different that I thought it would be, I loved it to death. If it hadn't been for how I felt at the beginning, it probably would have gained five stars! THE CHARACTERS ARE THE BEST <3 <3. The Thief Lord is definitely high up on my list of favorites, and I'm giving it four and a half stars. 

   - Black by Ted Dekker. My dad told me that he really enjoyed Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy, and that I should try it, so I FINALLY buckled down this month and did it (of course it wasn't because this author was at Realm Makers. What are you thinking. Hush). And while it was a little hard to get into at first, it got so much better, and I really enjoyed it! I'm excited to finish the series, and I give Black four stars.

   - Airman by Eoin Colfer. I love Eoin Colfer books, but for some reason it took me forever to pick this one up? I think the cover was throwing me off - it didn't really look like something I'd enjoy. But then I picked it up and GOOD GRACIOUS. It immediately went on my list of favorites, I loved Airman so so much. The characters were incredible (and you guys know I'm picky about my characters), and Eoin Colfer's way of writing things is just the best. I should review this sometime so that I can flail over it properly, but for now I'll just say that I'm giving Airman an epic four and a half stars. 

   - The Girl Who Drank The Moon by Kelly Barnhill. Oh my good gracious - THIS BOOK. If you remember it from this book haul video, you'll remember that I picked it up on a whim without really knowing what it was about. And turns out that it was a very GOOD whim, because The Girl Who Drank The Moon was an incredible book! The writing style was absolutely gorgeous, and the storyline <3. I just loved the gorgeous thing so much, and it gets a solid four stars! 

   - Some Kind Of Happiness by Claire Legrand. Okay so this WAS a reread, so I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it the second time around, but turns out it only gets better! I love love loved revisiting this story and its characters, it's such a sweet book. Definitely a five star reread. (actually, I think this was the only five star book that I read this month - but some of the books that weren't five stars were so good that I don't care xD)

   *squints* okay so I didn't even talk about all of the books that I loved this month (*cough* Dreamtreaders and Gregor The Overlander *cough*), but ... well, those were some of them xD.

 Also I reorganized my bookshelves? I never thought I would have time to do this?? Admittedly, I don't have that much shelf space, but I'm wildly picky about how my bookshelves look and which books sit beside which books. So it took me while. I'm still not QUITE done, but I'm nearly there! Maybe I should do a bookshelf tour vlog/post for you guys when it's finished?

posts

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/book-review-unraveling-by-sara-ella.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/how-to-liven-up-your-cast-of-characters.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/book-review-caraval-by-stephanie-garber.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/beautiful-people-raven-gale-august-2017.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/andoras-folly-blog-tour-spotlight-and.html

elsewhere online
    - Recaps of Realm Makers have been popping up left, right, and center - including these ones by Victoria, Jonathan, Tracey and Audrey. I very much intend to make it to RM in 2018, but we'll see what happens!

   - Hannah White did an epic post about living first and writing second.

   - Aimee Meester told us all to please shut up about hating our own writing, so I suppose we should listen? xD

   - Nadine Brandes signed a contact with Thomas Nelson/Harpercollins and I might have been THIS FAR from having a heart attack when I heard the news! I'm on pins and needles to pre-order her next book!

   - Christine Smith did a beautiful post about why Cinderella is still a good heroine

   -  Abigayle Claire shared a first look at her future writings and I NEED THEM ALL.

   - Tracey Dyck did a epic post about God in fantasy fiction.

   Also, EXILES RELEASED! *all the confetti and celebratory pizza* I've been waiting so long for this book, and yet I still haven't read it for some reason? This needs to be fixed promptly.

ramblings to come




   Well ... I can't exactly tell you because IT'S A SURPRISE. But what I CAN tell you is that there's going to be some pretty fun stuff going on at Scattered Scribblings next month.. Keep an eye out for a special post on the first of September! I'll see y'all then ;).

~ Savannah Grace

   how was your august, friends?

41 comments :

  1. My August was good, thanks for asking. xD Jonah, eclipse (and Uncle James visiting boooo on you for forgetting that)--IT WAS A GREAT MONTH YO.
    Um YEAH do a vlog about your bookshelf. Or a vlog about basically anything. I enjoy being camerawoman, see? xD #honesty
    Plzzzzz show us some KS snippets. I neeeeeed them. I WILL GIVE YOU CAKE. OR PIE. OR EVEN A PUPPY.
    I can't WAIT for all the fun stuffs of September going on here!!!!
    I always enjoy proofreading (hahahaha SISTER POINTS) your monthly highlights posts!! Great post, girl!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfft, I KNOW it was great, I was THERE xD. And yes, we need to do a new vlog sometime soon. We haven't for a long time. We needs to do it again!

      I WILL, I WILL. When they're ready. When I'M ready, because sharing snippets is TERRIFYING xD. But I most definitely will - I can tell you that at least one or two special snippets will be shared in September :D.

      Yup, sister points *highfive*. <3 <3

      Delete
  2. AHHHH I can't wait for next month then! And congrats on your little brother! Is he a good sleeper? My family went from the youngest being seven to having a newborn overnight (we adopted a newborn) and she was such a handful at first. :P She's gotten better now, though! She's turning two soon!

    And you have been so productive this month! Gee, Savannah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's ... uh, well I think he WILL be a good sleeper? xD Aw, you guys have an (almost) two year old? <3 <3 <3 Toddlers are so much fun!

      Either I've just been productive, or ALL THE BOOKS have finally given me superpowers. I hope it's the later xD. Thanks for commenting, Faith!

      Delete
  3. How are you so amazing? Writing all that and reading so much in one month? Ugh I'm jealous xD but your baby bro <3 <3 <3 ADORABLE. AND BLACK. MY FAVE SERIES OF ALLLL TIME YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM WHEN OTHERS READ IT AND LIKE IT. Your recaps are terrific but really I always debate whether or not to read them cause YOU ARE SO SUPER HUMAN

    Lisa
    thisinkwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are YOU so amazing? Seriously, your comment made me smile so big :D. And I CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH THE CIRCLE TRILOGY! It's so so cool that it's also your favorite series - now I REALLY have to finish White! (I've only read about three chapters of it so far, but it's GOOD). And AH, YOU'RE SO SWEET - but seriously, I never post these to try and show off if I've done a lot that month. I just love talking to you guys about all things bookish and writing and LIFE, and these help me to do it! Thanks for commenting, Lisa! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. AHHH OH MY WORD AN ADORABLE BABY THAT'S SO EXCITING. *SCREAMS* HE'S SO CUUUUUUTE. <3 <3 <3

    Yaaas Airman is on my favourites list also. JUST SO GOOD.

    *bounces and waits impatiently for the first of September*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH THANK YOU SO MUCH, I JUST LOVES HIM TO DEATH <3 <3 <3

      Ohmyword, you've read Airman too?? You're like the only person I know that has xD. IT'S AMAZING.

      And it's only tomorrow! *bounces with you* xD

      Delete
  5. Look at Jonah's adorable squishy face! Aww. It's been way too long since I stopped getting baby siblings!

    Sounds like you had a good month for reading - and your 26k is great! (I haven't written anything, haha)

    I'm looking forward to your surprise! :)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love him so much! <3 <3 <3

      Thanks so much, Jem! I had a TON of fun with writing this month :D.

      YOU GET TO SEE IT TOMORROW! *is excited too*

      Delete
  6. Aww he is so adorable! Congrats on a new sibling! Glad u are having a great August? R u ready for September? I actually like proof reading so ur not alone:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend! And I'm SORT OF ready for September - I still feel like it should be July! xD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. AHHHHH JONAH!!!!! *hugs him to death* <3 <3 AND THAT SQUISHY LITTLE HUMAN IS MY BROTHER!!!!!!! <3 *heart eyes*
    My August was pretty good..... *wink wink* Thanks for asking, sista! xD
    LET'S ROCK SEPTEMBER. *pumps fist* *high fives all around*
    Jaidyn Elise<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE'S SO ADORABLE I LOVE HIM SO SO MUCH <3 <3 <3 <3

      Haha, of course it was! And YES, LET'S DO THIS.

      Delete
  8. BABY JONAH!!!!!!!!!!!! SO MUCH CUTE. HE'S SO SQUISHY AND PRECIOUS AND AAAAHHHHH!!! I'm so ridiculously excited for you guys!

    The eclipse was really cool! We...didn't get the glasses either. Whoops? But it was SO fascinating how the sunlight just completely shifted. Everything felt so...DIFFERENT. Mom said it was like being on an alien planet. XD It was pretty great!

    YOU WROTE 26K WORDS????? O_O YOU ARE A WRITING MACHINE. How do you manage to write so much AND read so much?? I am in awe! I'm so glad to hear your Snow White story is going well. I'm sooo curious about it. *wriggles eyebrows*

    Literally ALL the books you read this month are books I've been wanting to read! They all just sound so fantastic. And to hear you loved so many of them makes me want to read them MORE!

    You were so sweet to link to my post!!!! AWK. THANK YOU! <3333

    I do so hope your September is absolutely amazing! (Except...hooooowwww is it almost September? O.o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, CHRISTINE!! I love love love him so much. <3 <3 <3

      It was super strange! It felt like day suddenly turned to night REALLY fast - it was so neat. I'm glad we got to experience it!

      I DON'T EVEN KNOOOOOW. I think it was because August was a pretty casual month for me, so I went nuts with writing and things xD. And *whispers* I'm definitely planning on telling you guys a TEENY bit about the retelling in September, so you can expect it to come soon!

      You're welcome! Your post was EPIC, so it had to join the ranks of the other awesome posts I read during August *nodnod*.

      (exactly. WHO USED THE TIME MACHINE)

      Delete
  9. You got a new sibling??? What a blessing from God! He's so precious <3

    And you read The Crown's Game? How was it? I badly want to read it, but I was wondering about your thoughts on it :D And is there any questionable content?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely a blessing. <3 <3

      It was ... okay. I read it a little earlier in August, so I don't remember it SUPER well, but I do know it wasn't cleanest thing in the world (and the second book in the duology, The Crown's Fate, wasn't very clean either), but the concept was really cool ;).

      Delete
  10. D'AWWWWWWWWWW. Jonah is the cutest thing!! I've never had a younger sibling, so I'm living vicariously through you (and trying not to be jealous *cough* XD).

    The eclipse was so much fun! I got to borrow my neighbor's glasses so I was able to actually see the sun for a minute. It was a lot of fun, though I'm determined to see it in totality next time. ;)

    HOW DID YOU WRITE 26K WORDS. I MUST KNOW. I wrote like...less than 1k? Hehe. I'm a very inconsistent writer, and this month has just been insanity. (Like every other month ever. :P) But yesssss, show us snippets please!!

    DREAMTREADERS. SOME KIND OF HAPPINESS. <33333 Gah! You read some great books this month! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Dreamtreaders because gosh, that book is a blast. I really should reread it sometime.

    Had so much fun reading your recap, Sav! And I can't wait for the surprise. *pumps fist in the air* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, MARY! <3 <3 And aw, I wish you had a younger sibling too, Mary! They're so adorable and squishy <3.

      Ooh, really?? That's so cool, I'm super glad that you got to see it! (apparently this EXACT eclipse isn't coming again for like 300 years. Meep)

      MY MAGIC DRAGON MUSE DID ALL THE WRITING FOR ME

      ...

      oh, whoops, did I say that out loud? xD

      YES, those books were GORGEOUS (both inside and outside - I ADORE their covers!). I loved them so much! I desperately need the second book in the Dreamtreaders series now xD.

      Delete
  11. YES THE CIRCLE TRILOGY IS MY FAVORITE!!!!! I've read it something like three times now. Ted Dekker is definitely one of my favorite authors, and I love most of his books, but I love the Circle Trilogy in particular. I agree that Black can be a bit hard to get into, but after that, you can't really put the books down.
    Also, I would advise you: Don't read Green. Technically, it's not even a part of the trilogy (because it's the fourth book). I didn't like it NEARLY as much, and it kind of, um... ruined the series for me.
    Anyways, congrats on getting so many words written this month, and of course on your new brother!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH, REALLY? *highfives fellow fan* I'm so so excited to finish the trilogy (I'm currently reading White!).

      Yeah, I was trying to decide whether or not Green would be worth checking out ... but now I might just skip it, haha. We'll see what happens, but if I DO choose to read it, you'll definitely end up getting my thoughts on it :D.

      Thank you so much, Talia! Have an epic September <3

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your beautiful new member of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on Jonah! He's absolutely precious.

    The eclipse was /so cool/. We were in the path of totality, but it rained all morning and was cloudy during the actual eclipse, so we didn't actually see it, but it got completely dark. It was really neat to watch the world light up again all at once, not gradually from one direction like a sunrise.

    THE THIEF LORD <3 That book was my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brianna! <3 <3

      Ooh, you were? That's SO COOL - even if it was cloudy, it must have been amazing to see all of that happen!

      I adore it! I'm so glad I decided to read it :D.

      Delete
  14. ADORABLE BABY IS ADORABLE. :D

    I didn't get to see the eclipse, it was too cloudy and rainy where we live, but we watched it on TV and it looked EPIC.

    Also, I love the changes you're making! Gotta love making new graphics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T HE JUST? :D

      Aw, that's too bad - but I'm glad you still got to see it! It was so neat :D.

      Thanks, Madeline! I'm having a lot of fun with it ;).

      Delete
  15. Jonah is so adorable! I'm so happy for you! Give that little thing lots of hugs. *wishes she could cuddle him* Their tiny-hood goes by too fast. ;\
    My august has gone by too fast. I want more time to read and research!!! *screams* I want more summer. *stomps* The last couple weeks were amazing. I got to see some family I haven't seen in forever. I've gotten farther in my WIP and even though I've stopped to research, my inspiration is piling sky high. Thank God!
    Lol, God Bless and I'm glad you're happy with your August! <3 Ehh! I'm so happy about your little brother! You need to post pictures so we can see him throughout the year! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is alpha reading the same as Beta reading? lol I'm lost.

      Delete
    2. I most definitely will! I love holding him, he's so cute and squishy! <3 <3

      YES - I adore Autumn so very much, but I just KNOW that I'm going to miss the lazy summer once it really gets here! And I'm SO SO GLAD that your story-stuff is going so well, LHE! *hugs* Keep on keeping on, my friend!

      Alpha reading is kinda the same concept as beta reading, it just happens much earlier on in the writing process (sometimes a writer will have a few alpha readers look over their story before they throw it out to betas)!

      Delete
    3. He's so adorable! And, yes, he's so squishy. Isn't that the best?

      I totally agree.
      I'm so happy because now I'm not in writer's block or writer's rut, and I can get back to my story. It doesn't bother me that I'm not writing because I know that I'm only stopping to research and make my story better. Thank you, Savannah! *hugs back* This story is going to be written and finished. Or, I die trying. *shrugs* I started this story one night when I was sick, and then left it. It's been a while, so I've given the idea a rest, but the idea just won't go away. I know I need to write this, and I'll try my best. :)

      Oh. Thanks for explaining it to me! If you need anyone....don't hesitate to ask. ;) *cough, cough*
      God Bless! <3

      Delete
  16. Congrats on the baby brother...he is ADORABLE!!!!

    Seeing the books you've read makes me feel a little sad about the amount I've been reading. But, on the plus side, I /have/ been reading. I did hardly any over the summer, so I'm glad I'm picking it back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julian!

      Oh, gracious - please don't think I'm trying to brag on how much I've read with these posts! August was just a lazy month for me, so I had a lot of time on my hands ;). Thanks for commenting, Julian!

      Delete
    2. I know you aren't bragging, and I never would accuse you of doing so!! But I haven't read anything...

      Delete
  17. YOUR NEW BRO IS SOOO CUTE AWWW <3 I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU! and DUDE CAN I BE AN ALPHA?? I WANNA BE AN ALPHA FOR YOU *squeals and flails hopefully* Also you never cease to amaze me with just how many books you read! DUDE. I am so impressed. And I met Wayne Thomas Batson in June and bought Dream Treaders at the workshop and had him sign it but I HAVEN'T READ IT YET. I'm glad you liked it!! <3 I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW, THANK YOU SO MUCH! <3 And OH DEAR ME - I actually was thinking about asking you if you wanted to alpha when it's time, so PROBABLY IF YOU WANT TO? It's gonna be a MESS tho, my alpha-drafts are NOT all that pretty (<--- the same thing every writer says about all there drafts ever xD)!

      OH, I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT YOU MET HIM AND I'M JEALOUS xD. That's so cool! And oh my, you need to read it! It's so very good - you'll have to tell me what you thought of it once you finish it!

      Delete
  18. YOUR LITTLE BROTHER IS ADORABLE. HE IS THE BEST BABY OF ALL THE BABIES.

    And now you have me all curious and intrigued for what surprise you have in store. XD

    ReplyDelete
  19. FUNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.