Book Review - The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater


November 9, 2017


 
   So I finally finished The Scorpio Races, and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to get to it! While there were a couple things I didn't like, overall it was a wonderful book. Want to hear more about it?


Book Review - The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater [header image]
you'll have to forgive me for reusing a title image - but I'm sick, and don't have the motivation to take a new one xD




 
5 Stars

   I though I'd never get out of my reading slump, and then I get my hands on a five star book. Go figure xD. That's not to say that I liked everything in this book (*points down at the "disliked things" section*), but  overall, it was amazing. It earned those five stars.


From The Back Cover 


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater [cover image]
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.







the epic stuff



   - The prose. The prose in The Scorpio Races was gorgeous. And not only was it gorgeous, it felt real - like actual people would have spoken those words. It was beautiful, and so easy to read. Loved it. <3 Also, can we talk about that line on the back cover of the book? "It was the first of November and so, today ... someone will die." I CAN'T. That line is absolutely what got me hooked on The Scorpio Races. (plus, the prose made the book have this certain feel that was just amazing)

   - The characters. I haven't read a book with characters this real for quite awhile. Sean and Puck were both amazing, and I honestly couldn't decide who was the main character? At first I thought it was Puck, then I thought it might have been Sean ... in the end, I settled by deciding that they could both be the main characters, for all I cared xD. I loved them both!

   - The capaill uisce. I've always wanted to read (or write!) a story that had something to do with kelpies, because they're not used enough in fiction. So when I saw that The Scorpio Races was about the capaill uisce, I was very excited. And Stiefvater did so well with them! I'd talk about it more, but I'd get into very spoiler-y territory, so ... nope. 

   - It got me out of my reading slump. I owe the book. <3


the disliked stuff


   - It, ah ... wasn't the cleanest. A fair amount of bad language was used, and (seeing as one of the biggest factors in the book was flesh-eating horses) there was a good amount of gore. Now, I don't know everyone's convictions when it comes to reading, but I would only recommend this to ages 16+.






   I now understand why everyone raves about Maggie Stiefvater's books - she's got an incredible talent for writing and storytelling. I can't wait to get my hands on another of her books!


~ Savannah Grace 


have you read The Scorpio Races?
which Stiefvater book should I read next?
 

19 comments :

  1. I LOVED "The Scorpio Races"!! Sadly, the other Stiefvater books aren't as clean as "The Scorpio Races". I read her Raven Cycle, and, like this one, the characters and plot were amazing, but the language was very extensive. It's so frustrating because the characters were awesome and the books were so well-written! But the language was very, very extreme. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad that I finally read it! All of you Scorpio Races fans were exactly right about how good it is xD. And that's sad that her others books aren't as clean - I was looking forward to reading other books that are as good as this one! But I guess it is what it is ;).

      Delete
  2. SO THE SCORPIO RACES ARE AMAZING AND THE RAVEN CYCLE IS EVEN BETTER. As Allison was saying, unfortunately the language is a lot stronger and there is a gay character that pops up around the last book, and he has a lil romance (which I skipped right over thank you very much). BUT IT'S SO GOOD! It's too bad that there has to be things that get in the way of an almost perfect series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH, YOU'VE READ BOTH?? That's epic! I'm wishy-washy about whether or not I'm going to read The Raven Cycle, but YAY for being able to skip over things, thank you very much! xD I'll definitely be giving y'all my thoughts on it if I give that series a shot ;).

      Delete
  3. I TOLD YOU IT WAS AWESOME.

    I don't know if I'd recommend the Raven Cycle to you -- it's the only other thing of Stiefvater I've read. It really depends... there was a lot more language in there and some elements could be considered "occult-y" (if you don't think of it as fantasy), and there were gay characters in the last one *sigh*

    SUPER HAPPY YOU LIKED THIS ONE THOUGH

    Lisa
    thisinkwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, AND YOU WERE SO RIGHT.

      I'm always so disappointing when an author writes an epic book, and then I find another of their works and start reading it only to go 'wait, what', and putting it down because of content issues. Much saddness ;(. But I might still give The Raven Cycle a shot and just skip over some of the stuff? WE SHALL SEE.

      Delete
    2. Yeah you could just take a shot at the Raven Boys (book 1) and see? I think that is the best, the cleanest according to my memory and what others say?? It's just the language mostly that put me off. BUT THE CHARACTERS ARE SO GOLD. You cannot but fall in love with them all :)

      Delete
    3. Oh also I picked up Shiver once ... I didn't read the full thing but I think it had less language and had a "Twilight-y" feel to it? I rather disapproved of mc plus werewolf boy sleeping in the same bed behind mc's paents backs... I didn't make it very far so I don't know what really happens?? Other than that it was ok? So far as I read? I might pick it up later, but first I have a hild on her newest one, All the Crooked Saints!!!

      Delete
  4. MUST. READ. THIS. Partly because I've read the Raven Cycle and feel the same as Lisa (above), and partly because November is my birthday month--so that first line is instantly intriguing. XD

    I'm curious as to how much language there is, and how severe. Any sexual content? I'll probably still read it regardless, but those two issues will determine whether I buy the book or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly milder language, Tracey, and consists largely of innuendo--I don't believe there was any real EXPLICIT sexual content, and only one or two serious cuss words. Innuendo is probably the best way to sum up the content in this book.

      Delete
    2. YES. YOU. MUST. From what I've been seeing in the comments, The Scorpio Races is a little cleaner xD. And your birthday is in November? Well, whether it's already passed or if it's still coming up - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRACEY! <3 <3 <3

      @Faith/Florid Sword Wait, are you talking about the Raven Cycle or Scorpio Races in your comment?

      Delete
  5. No sexual scenes between the two characters as far as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard nothing but great things about this book, so I am so glad you enjoyed it so much as well! It sounds like an amazing book. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Everyone seems to like Stiefvater's writing style :D. Thanks for reading and commenting, Zoe! <3

      Delete
  7. I loved the whole island aesthetic of The Scorpio Races! It reminded me a lot of some of Michael Morpurgo's stories, if you've heard of him? Just - the weather, and how everyone knew everyone, and the whole 'this island is my life and was my parent's life and so forth' feel?? And gumboots and horses and wind in hair. <3

    Good to hear you're out of your reading slump :)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, that was probably half the reason I loved the book so much! (and yet I forgot to mention that in the review? *smacks self* xD) I haven't heard of him, but now I need to go check out his books... Thanks for mentioning him!

      It's lovely to be reading normally again! ;D

      Delete
  8. MAGGIE STIEFVATER. I remember reading "The Raven Cycle" my freshman year and just THE PROSE. Gore in general doesn't sit well with me. I'd more likely go for The Scorpio Races rather than going with the Shiver trilogy for my next read of works by her. >.<

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard very little about the Shiver trilogy, but I'm curious as to whether or not it's better than the Raven Cycle... Either way, you guys will definitely be hearing something about my next Stifevater read! And you'll have to tell me what you think if you pick up a copy of The Scorpio Races. <3

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.