Taking A Break // When Writing Gets Obsessive


November 17, 2017



   So guess what's a weird post to be posting in the middle of NaNoWriMo? This post is. 


Taking A Break // When Writing Gets Obsessive [title image]



   Let's make one thing clear before I dig into this post - I'm not talking about NaNoWriMo here. I love all the hectic craziness of the month of November, it's so fun. NaNoWriMo (and ... pretty much anyone on a major deadline xD) is exempt from this post. I'm talking about those times when you've been writing so much that you can't stop, even when you're tired of it. I'm talking about how to take a break when you've become writing-obsessed (*cough* something I need to learn *cough*). 


   But how do you know if your writing has become obsessive?



1. Everything Is Dry  


 
   Your words are dry, your well of inspiration is dry, your plotline is dry - yeah, pretty much everything is dry. Your 'creative tank' isn't full anymore, and you're needing to figure out a way to refuel and got those creative juices flowing again.



2. Writing Isn't Fun Anymore



   So now you're probably thinking 'this could never happen!', but guess what - it can. Getting tired of writing happens to me when I've been writing like a madwoman for weeks and weeks ... and then everything just kinda starts to slide to a stop. I'm tired. The words aren't coming. All inspiration has gone *poof*. Thus, writing is not fun anymore xD.



3. Writing Is Stressful (...but not writing is also stressful) 



   This one is one of the biggest signs that you are over-obsessing about the need to write. If writing is making you stressed, but not writing is also making you stressed (seriously, this happens #me) because you feel guilty about not writing when you could be writing ... yeah, 'tis a problem. And it has happened to me quite often, so I would know. I am the queen of writing obsessively xD.  



   So, those are just a few ways to know if your writing habits have become obsessive. And do you know what you (and I, if I can convince myself about it xD) really need to do when this starts to happen? TAKE A BREAK. Even just a small break - just a couple days, or a week if you have the time - can work wonders. But I actually have a REALLY hard time forcing myself to take a break when I've becoming overly obsessed with writing ... so, how do you do this think called 'taking a break?'. 



1. Give Yourself Permission To Chill 



    This is actually the hard part. See the word 'obsessed' up there in the post title? Yeah, that means CAN'T STOP. I find it really, really hard to quit writing when I start obsessing over it ... even when, deep down, I want a break sooooo bad. So stepping back and giving yourself permission (or forcing yourself) to just chill and not go near a keyboard for a few days is actually hard, but breaks are needed, so DON'T feel guilty about not writing for awhile (#me). You have all the permission in the world to just chill for a few days.



2. Read A Book



   Read two books! Read lots of books! We're bookdragons - it's in our DNA to devour books twenty-seven books in one weekend. Find a nice, huge fantasy book to get your hands on, or a fluffy contemporary to breeze through. Perfect fuel to refill on <3. (and I've posted lists of books that are perfect for Summer and books that are perfect for Fall, so there's some quick recommendations for ya xD)


the unwanteds by Lisa McMann - bookshelf image




3. Work On A New Project



   Sometimes it isn't really a break from writing that's needed - it's a break from a specific project. Working on a new piece (maybe just a short story, or a piece of flash fiction), can kind of give you a breather from whatever you've been currently working on. Sometimes I'll purposefully work on two projects at once, so that I don't get all tired out. But switching projects really can help - especially if you're going from a serious project to a just-for-fun piece.



4. Take A Deep Breath



   Just breath for a minute. For a few minutes. Or a few days, if you need it. Sit back and watch a movie, take a walk, surf the blogosphere, or hang with that strange thing called family (yeah, they exist, too). Relax and do something you've wanted to do for awhile, but that you've put off because of the book you're working on. You are an epic little writing-creature - you deserve a break! Do something fun! Trust me, it'll be worth it ;D.


   And there ya go - all the ways that I get myself to take a breather when I desperately need one. And Thanksgiving is coming up super fast, so I'm going to convince the writer-ly part of my brain to chill for awhile so that I can just hang with family aaaall week. It'll be lots of fun xD. Have an epic Thanksgiving break, you guys - I'll see you after it's over!

~ Savannah Grace

do you get overly writing-obsessed sometimes? 
what do you do to give yourself a break?
have a great Thanksgiving, y'all! 

8 comments :

  1. Lovely post! And have a fantastic Thanksgiving break, Savannah! I hope you adore it! ^_^

    ~Liv
    livkfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liv! And I hope you've had an epic Thanksgiving break, as well! <3

      Delete
  2. YES. Because I obsess way too often! I totally relate to stressing while writing and then stressing about NOT writing. Urgh. XD But your list is basically all the things I (force myself to) do to get back on track!

    Your timing is impeccable, btw. I've got a similar post planned for tomorrow! Will definitely be linking to yours!

    (And is that a new header??? *screams* IT IS BEAUTIFUL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious - SAME. I hate the feeling of being just STUCK STRESSING, whether I'm writing or not. But, like you said in your post (which was epic, by the way!), praying definitely helps <3.

      (THANK YOU SO MUCH - Alea Harper designed it for me, and I CANNOT STOP obsessing over it xD)

      Delete
  3. WELL I AM IN LOVE WITH THE NEW HEADER. IT IS GORGEOUS.

    I can relate to writing beginning to feel like a horrible job, but then feeling guilty when I don't write because it's supposed to be my job! XD I've learned that when that happens, I need one day to focus on the small things and recharge my creative battery i.e. focusing on each sip of tea, focusing on how the air feels and which birds are making those sounds when I go for walks, and REALLY listening to my favorite songs. That's my little self-care day (probably coupled with a shower and lavender moisturizer and fairy lights) and then I feel right as rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVANGELINE <3.

      Ooh, I didn't even think about focusing on the really smol things like that - but now that you mention it, I can TOTALLY see how that would work. I'll need to start working on that instead of stressing xD. (also FAIRY LIGHTS <3)

      Delete
  4. I LOVED THIS POST AND RELATE SO HARD. Actually, just last night my writing was soooo dry and bland and each word was like pulling teeth. I think I needed some sleep to let my brain rest, and I'm feeling much better today!

    But oh my goodness, the whole "stressed because you're writing, stressed because you're NOT writing" IS SO MEEEE. I can't seem to be happy either way! When I'm writing, I'm feeling overwhelmed and want to do something else. When I'm NOT writing, I miss it and feel like a failure because I'm not getting the words down. We writers just have no chill. XD

    Your advice was SPOT. ON. We DO need to chill, and let ourselves do it without the guilt. We do need to refuel our creative tanks and breathe a little. That's so, so important.

    We write because we love it, but that doesn't mean it's not grueling work! Sometimes we have step aside from it.

    Thank you for this post! It was golden! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES TO THIS POST. I sooo agree! When writing becomes a chore, then you know you need a break. Thank you for sharing this, especially during the hectic-ness that is NaNoWriMo! XD

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.