Story Embers: Using Flash Fiction to Hone Your Writing Craft


April 22, 2019


Y'all know I'm addicted to writing flash fiction, right? (if you've been here for more than .72 seconds, you probably do XD) But did you know that I'm also a writing intern for Story Embers? You do now! ;D

My first article just went up on Story Embers today, and it's all about (*drumroll*) flash fiction! Shocker, yes? XD

Want to take a peek at it?


image not mine


I’m addicted to flash fiction. I enjoy the challenge of compacting a story into a thousand words or fewer—and watching other writers do it too!

But flash fiction is more than a method for writing quick, poignant stories. It’s an incredibly useful yet overlooked tool for refining your skills in general.

Because of its brevity, the focus of flash fiction is distinctive from a novel. Complicated subplots, huge character arcs, and purple prose can’t be squished into the uniquely small size. Flash fiction is story micro-science, making it ideal for zeroing in on three tricky areas of writing craft....




~ Savannah Grace 

happy reading! 

7 comments :

  1. I LOVED YOUR POST!!! I've juuust recently started dabbling in flash fiction and...I'm loving it. o.o Like a lot! I always thought I was cursed to only write ginormous books and like 10-book series. Lol. But, it turns out, if I work on it I CAN contain a whole story in just 1k words. Who knew? XD But seriously, everything you said is so true. I'm finding I'm getting better at editing, even my novels, because through my flash fiction pieces, I'm getting a better idea of what words can be cut and how to explain things more concisely. It's SUCH good practice. Just YES to everything you said!

    (P.S. I tagged you for a Marvel tag I created if you want to do it: https://christinesmithauthor.com/2019/04/the-marvel-cinematic-universe-tag/ But I toootally get if you're too busy. NO pressure whatsoever! ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how excited I was to see your name on SE!!! <333

    also I was extremely excited to see Australian locations in the cover picture, but that's not quite as important. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOH! I'm just starting to dip my toes into the world of flash fiction (I've managed to write a few pieces so far, and it is SO much fun) so I'm definitely going to have to check this post out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! YOU ROCK, SAV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article, Savannah! I've been trying to get back into writing short stories (I did a lot when I was younger, but pretty much stopped when I got more serious about writing novels), and I'm enjoying it so far! Flash fiction really challenges you to accomplish the purpose of your story quickly, making sure every sentence counts, etc.

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, Savannah! :D

    Lilian | greenteawithbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.