Book Review - Wrath Of The Storm by Jennifer A. Nielsen


September 5, 2017


   Okay, FIRST of all - I've been totally overwhelmed by your sweet comments on my blogoversary bash post! Y'all have even been linking to it on your own blogs? You guys are just the bestest, okay - it's official. *hugs and highfives for all*

   Alright, back to the reason for this post xD. I had made a firm decision not to read this series (book set in ancient Rome = not my thing). But then I found a eye-candy copy of the final book in the trilogy for a good price and ... eheh, needless to say, I bought it.

   And Wrath Of The Storm (the last book in the Mark Of The Thief trilogy) was AMAZING, I loved the entire series to death. How did I ever in a million years consider not reading it? #crimes

Wrath Of The Storm by Jennifer A. Nielson Book Picture


5 Stars


   Wonder of wonders, is that a five star rating I see?! Yes indeed, this is the first five star book I've reviewed! And Wrath Of The Storm deserved every single one of those beautiful stars. It was a perfect climax to the Mark Of The Thief Series, and I adored it to death.  

   - From The Back Cover -

Wrath Of The Storm by Jennifer A. Nielson Cover Image
A quest for freedom. The magic of the gods. A storm to destroy a world.

Trouble has a way of finding Nicolas Calva, and it’s not likely to leave him alone any time soon. With Caesar’s magic bulla, the Malice of Mars, and the possibility of a Jupiter Stone in play, all the powers of Rome are circling Nic. He’ll have to maneuver his way through scheming government officials and reawakened magical beasts to save the Empire. Can he manage to keep his friends and family safe, claim his own freedom once and for all, and rescue the Empire—before the magic gets the better of him?


With twists and turns on every page, critically acclaimed author Jennifer Nielsen weaves an epic, action-packed conclusion to her extraordinary Mark of the Thief trilogy.






Wrath Of The Storm by Jennifer A. Nielson Book Spine Picture
   - The characters. When it comes to the characters in Wrath Of The Storm - well, in the whole trilogy - Jennifer Nielson slayed. In The False Prince (another Nielson book/series that I highly enjoyed and recommend), I never could get myself to like a certain character by the name of Imogen, so I was a little unsure about how it would go with the Mark Of The Thief series? But I should not have worried! I absolutely loved all the characters that were supposed to be loved, and utterly hated all the characters that were supposed to be hated. It was lovely xD. And the main character is witty and epic and I just loved him, so the book gets extra epic-ness points.

   - The plot. I had to keep reading! I had to know how it would turn out! The stakes kept piling higher! I just couldn't stop! (literally - I read Wrath Of The Storm in a number of hours xD) The plot had the perfect pacing, and I LOVED it. It seemed almost impossible that anything was going to work out in Nic's favor, so I had to keep reading. There was no possible way on this good earth that I would have been able to stop! I adore the plot in this book. <3  

   - It was a wonderful climax. If it's a series, I'll ALWAYS be the pickiest about the last book. But I thought that Wrath Of The Storm was a wonderful climax for the series! (I mean, look at the cover. There is fire and lightening and explosions. Obviously this was a beautifully dramatic climax) Everything came together in this big, intense [will not say it because of spoilers, but it was epic], and I loved it. I was really hoping that the Mark Of The Thief trilogy would end well, and OH MY - it certainly did!     
 



Another Wrath Of The Storm by Jennifer A. Nielson Book Picture
   - ... did I dislike anything? *crickets* ... okay, so I feel like there should be SOMETHING for me to stick down in this section but NOPE (okay - so there was ONE smol thing, but it was at the end and it's a spoiler, so I shall refrain from mentioning it xD). The entire series was really clean, and I basically loved everything about it. And it was ESPECIALLY good because I went into it thinking I might dislike it, and then I ended up loving to death xD.

   [random aside: there was this fantasy book that I read when I was really young, and I COULD NOT remember the title of it for the life of me (and my goldfish memory will be the death of me, but I guess it was many years ago when I read that book?), and I really wanted to remember what it was, because I think it was among some of the first fantasy books I ever read. And as I was looking through other Jennifer Nielson books, it JUST SO HAPPENS that she was the one who wrote that book I was thinking of. I was very pleasantly surprised and will probably buy anything she writes xD  

   But anyways - like I said, Mark Of The Thief is a very clean series, so I definitely recommend it! And Wrath Of The Storm is the first book that I've reviewed that has received five stars, so that should give you some extra incentive to start this trilogy xD. You won't regret it!  

~ Savannah Grace

have you read Wrath Of The Storm? 

what's your favorite Jennifer A. Nielson book?

 

18 comments :

  1. Looks very interesting. I'm not sure about the whole ancient Rome thing since hi-fi isn't normally my cup of sweet tea, but your reviews are really well done. You make me want to go look for this book. And the series.

    Also, I don't know if you remember, but I commented on your "The Girl Who Could See" book review so long ago. I ended up buying the book and I will have my own review of it coming this Saturday. I'm not trying to advertise my blog, I just wanted to tell you I finally read it. It was AMAZING!!!

    Your reviews are very beautiful.
    <3

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm definitely a sci-fi/spec. fiction kind of girl, too ;). And thank you so much, Ivie! That's really good to hear <3.

      Oh my good gracious, REALLY? That's so epic - and (even though I know you're not trying to advertise), I'll absolutely have to check out your review!

      Thanks again, friend <3.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard about this book but... Great cover + Great synopsis + your great review... Yay! Going to add it to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the cover gorgeous? I love it <3. Thanks you so much, friend!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, this might be an interesting series to pick up. I'm not usually big on anything Roman, but this sounds kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - normally anything Roman gets a 'no' from me, but I actually really enjoyed this! Thanks for commenting, Sarah <3.

      Delete
  4. I might have to try this one. I mean, YOU gave it a 5-star rating!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOA THAT COVER THOUGH. *can't stop looking at it* That is soo coooool. Help. I think I'm dying under my tbr. *adds this one on top of the stack anyways*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. It even has the cool raised letters on the title. <3 <3 <3 (please don't die under your tbr, Prill. That would not be beneficial, because WE STILL NEED YOUR BOOKS.)

      Delete
  6. *hugs and high fives back* LOVE THIS REVIEW. I actually heard of this series waaaaay back but then forgot about it when the author's other trilogy got so much attention xD But ANCIENT ROME. I NEED. Basically anything ancient Roman/Greek/Egyptian + me = YES. (Or most of it that is xD)

    But if you loved it ... I mean I really trust your opinion?

    Lisa
    thisinkwell.blogspot.com
    (I know, I know, I'm Anonymous because I'm on someone else's device)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but okay THE ASCENDANCE TRILOGY IS AMAZING TOO, just saying. xD But yeah, if you like ancient Roman/Greek/Egyptian (plus magic, because this book is full of it), then you'd probably LOVE this.

      Oh my good gracious, LISA <3. You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that - I'm glad you trust my opinion! I love doing reviews for you guys :D. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Also the first five star book you ever reviewed? Have you READ other five star books tho? I'm also very picky with my five stars xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious, YES! I've read multiple five star books this year - and I'm glad I have xD.

      Delete
  8. This looks super good, I'll have to try and track down a copy of it! Good review, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're going to check it out! Thank you, Chelsea <3.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I really want to read that! I loved the Ascendence trilogy, but for some reason I can't find any of the Mark of the Thief books in my library except for this one....Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you liked the Ascendance trilogy, too? *highfives fellow fan* Aw, it's too bad that you can't find the rest of the books in this trilogy at your library! Maybe you can request that they buy them ;). Thanks for commenting, Nicole!

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.