2017: RECAP


January 9, 2018



   Guess who's late  to posting their 2017 recap post?

   ... who, me? Of course not, why thinketh you such things xD.


2017: RECAP [post title image]






bookishness

THE STATS:

136 books read --- 80 new-to-me --- 14 five-star reads
 
Five-Star books from 2017
All the GORGEOUS five-star reads of 2017!

(my aesthetic heart is not pleased by the garish Anne Of Green Gables cover in the top corner, but we'll all have to roll with it, because that was a good book xD) Not a bad amount at all, if I do say so myself! I got roughly one five-star read a month, and I found TONS of new stories that I love. I'd ramble about them all here, BUT I have a 'best books of 2017' type post coming, so y'all will just have to wait until then xD.

But I do have to mention that only five of those five-star books are rereads, and I'm really glad about that - I'm so happy about the new authors/series/books I discovered this year! I can't wait to ramble all about it in my soon-to-come bookish post (trust me, it's gonna be a big one xD).   

writerly things


I worked some on Killing Snow, but my biggest accomplishment was completely finishing my Snow White retelling, Forgotten! It's honestly been one of the most fun stories I've ever written, but also one of the hardest. If it doesn't win the Rooglewood writing contest that I entered it in, I'll definitely start thinking about getting it traditionally/self-published. But I won't know that until April 2nd, so you guys will have to wait until then to hear what my future plans are.

And this next year looks like it's going to be another epic one! I'm REALLY hoping to get Killing Snow finished in time for Realm Makers, but as it's still in first draft mode, that's probably not going to happen xD. But I'm going to shoot for it anyways! Between the two Camp NaNo's that are coming up (which I'm super excited for), I might just make it ;).

NaNoWriMo Collage
thank you to Katie Grace for the Christmas gift, and to FaithSong and Athelas for the Mitchtam pin! You guys are the best <3






   And these are only four OF my favorite posts from 2017 xD.


http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/08/beautiful-people-raven-gale-august-2017.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/04/to-all-young-writers.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-girl-in-mirror.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-testing-short-story.html

     ...wherein I tell you how I did with my 2017 goals, and what I'm going to be shooting for in 2018...

Goals from 2017:

- Read 100 books + read/review one new release each month

   HAHA the new releases thing didn't happen, but I read 136 books! I read very few books that were actually published in 2017 (maybe ten or fifteen?), so I'm going to try and do better with that in 2018 xD.

- Create a tag and/or linkup + be diligent in my blog series

   NOPE, and ... sort of. It took me awhile to get through the series, but I did end up doing it :D.

- Be more diligent in journaling

   Yes and no. I did really well at the beginning of the year, but it kinda trailed off. But I'm letting it count, because I did a lot more art in my journal after the writing trailed off ;D.

- Start (and keep up with!) a 2017 memory jar

   Wow, I was just shooting to be an overachiever, wasn't I? This didn't happen, either xD.

- Write a _________ draft of a novel or novella 

   I'm literally fine with letting all my other goals slide because I CONQUERED THIS ONE. I wrote so, so many drafts of my Asher Grey novella, and I did a good deal of work on my Killing Snow novel. So I'm happy <3.


GOALS FOR 2018:

   So this year is gearing up to be an insane one, but I'm still going to give myself a few goals to shoot for...

- Comment on blogs more often + post more consistently

   Yeah, you guys have probably noticed that I don't do very well with this xD. But I'm working on it! I'll try to do better in 2018 ;).  

- Read 150 books 

   If I read 136 in 2017, I can (hopefully) read more this year! But we shall see whether this happens or not, because 2018 is gearing up to be an INSANELY busy year. If I die, you'll know why. (*cough* I got buried under my tbr pile *cough*)

- Publish something

   Whether it be an actual novel/novella, or just a piece of flash fiction in a magazine, I'd love to actual put something out there for you guys in 2018. Hopefully this will happen!

- Pitch a project at Realm Makers

   Somebody kill me now. This is probably the most terrifying goal I have xD. And I'm not entirely sure it's going to happen, because there's only a 50/50 chance I'll have a manuscript done when I go to Realm Makers in July. But we'll see! ;)

   ... yeah, I'm not setting too many goals for 2018, just because 1) I don't do goals very well, I normally just go with the flow and, 2) 2018 is gearing up to be pretty crazy. But I'm excited to see how much gets done in 2018!

   ALRIGHTY, there's the end of my 2017 recap! One more thing before I go scuttling off to work on that bookish post - I'd be much obliged if you guys could take a few minutes to fill out this survey. I'm working on planning out what's coming for Scattered Scribblings in 2018, and I'd love your input on it! You guys are the best ;). 

   LET'S GO ROCK 2018, MY FELLOW SCRIBBLERS <3.

~ Savannah Grace

how many five-star books did you read in 2017? 
what's one of your goals for 2018? 
and link to one of your favorite posts that you wrote in 2017 in the comments!

38 comments :

  1. Well, I loved The Royal Ranger by Flanagan. I'd have to give that one five stars. But I didn't read that much... definitely not as many as you. XD

    Awesome goals! One of mine is to finish my writing my trilogy. :D

    And I can't link to my favorite post of 2017: I didn't write any in 2017! XD

    D.G. Snapper | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Royal Ranger - definitely sounds like the title of a book I'd be interested in! I'm glad you liked it so much. I might need to check it out ;).

      YOU CAN DO IT, MY FRIEND. WRITE THAT TRILOGY. I hope that goes well for you! <3

      Well then, I look forward to seeing epic posts come from you in 2018!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I shall do it! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

      And BTW, I tagged you for the liebster award over at Silver Phoenix. :) And I also put your blog button up.

      Delete
    3. Aw, thank you! I'll go check that out as soon as I have time, liebster awards are always fun :D. (and THANK YOU for putting up my button! I always appreciate it when you guys do that <3)

      Delete
  2. You gave WatWK five stars! My fangirl heart is happy. (Although I must admit that I personally loved the middle two more, the more I think about it. WatWK is still one of the best finales I've ever read.)

    And good heavens, do I ever need to read the Out of Time trilogy. I still have some Christmas money...I should probably save it to buy a /bookcase/ *cough* but we'll see...*rubs hands together gleefully*

    Yes, you need to publish something!!!!!!!!!! I will be in the front of the line to buy it if you do. Please and thank you. XD

    I know you're going to have an amazing 2018 and I hope you succeed in all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I DID. I love love love that series so much, good gracious <3. The middle two were AMAZING, but I think that, since WatWK was the finale and I'd never read it before, I loved it just a little bit more. Plus, that thing at the end (you know what I'm talking about xD) - ALL THE FEELS.

      YOU DO, OH MY GOODNESS. Get thee to a bookstore, Faith!

      Oh my gracious, GIRL <3. That made me smile so big - the enthusiasm for my writing that you guys show is so, so encouraging :D.

      Same to you, my friend! <3

      Delete
    2. So guess who used ALLLL her Christmas money to order the entire Out of Time series a couple of days ago???!!!! ^_^ *JOY*

      That thing at the end...good heavens. *weeps* It's definitely worth five stars for that alone, even though I would prefer to give that ONE star....XD

      Delete
  3. I hope your story does well in the contest! Even though I didn't enter anything, I sorta have this emotional connection with it after watching a lot of bloggers prepare for it.

    Eep! You're going to try and pitch something?! That's so awesome! If you do it, I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! I'm glad that you're having some fun with the contest, too, even if you're not entering ;).

      Well, we'll see! I'm hoping to. I'll let you guys know what happens ;).

      Delete
  4. *squawks* HOW DID YOU READ 136 BOOKS? You are amazing! And congrats on all the writing progress this year! Eeeep, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet you at Realm Makers! I'm planning to go as long as I can get vacation time and $$$ to line up. :D

    LOL, I too was displeased with the way certain covers threw off the aesthetic in my Books of 2017 post last weekend. XD But Anne of Green Gables IS a wonderful book, so it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I was just hoping to hit 100, but apparently I had more time than I thought I would xD. And OH MY GRACIOUS, SAME - I really, really hope it works out! I want to meet you so bad :D. I'm so excited xD.

      Delete
  5. I WISH YOU ALL THE GOOD FORTUNE IN COMPLETING YOUR GOALS THIS YEAR!!!

    Some Kind of Happiness and The Scorpio Races are both SUCH GOOD BOOKS. <3 <3
    Happy New Year, Savannah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MY FRIEND! SAME TO YOU <3 <3 <3.

      Aren't they just? I ADORED them. <3 And Happy New Year to you too, Evangeline!

      Delete
  6. I /still/ need to get my hands on the Out of Time series. I've heard nothing but good reviews about them!

    But this year I actually set my first-ever reading goal (50 books). I think I could probably read more, but I need time to write and sleep and eat (and work...that kinda takes a lot of my time...) as well. But I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, you do! And you'll have to tell me what you think of them once you read them ;).

      OH GRACIOUS - AWESOME JOB, JULIAN! *highfive* 50 books is still a TON, especially when you're busy ;). Congrats!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh dude! *flails over our Mitchtam pins* AREN'T THEY JUST THE MOST EPIC THINGS EVER?? They make me so happy :D And I am so excited to read the Out of Time series now that it's back in stock. And both the last books have five stars from you, so I have high hopes! :D (though I will admit, I'm a bit afraid of not liking it as much as everyone else seems to. I really hope it do!)

    Happy new year! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY'RE JUST SO GREAT, I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. And it's epic that all of us Mitchtams have matching pins now xD. Athelas and Faith did such a good job with them! And WHAT - you haven't finished/read the Out Of Time series? HANNAH, YOU HAVE TO. (I hope you enjoy it, too! You'll have to tell me what you think once you finish)

      Happy new year to you, too, my friend! <3

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, you read 136 books?!?! I wish had more time to read. :( Sounds like you have some good goals for 2018! My goals consist of finishing three different stories... no idea how that will go, but I guess I'll find out! My absolute favorite post that I wrote in 2017 is this one right here: https://forhisglorydotblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/introducing-infernos-melody/, in which I tell you about my latest novel. :) (I'm not sure if it linked right... if not, you can just copy the hyperlink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, 2017 wasn't TOO busy for me ;). I hope you find a lot of time to read and write during 2018! BEST OF LUCK finish three stories, Talia, that's a really epic goal.

      Ooh, I like the sound of that post already, I love hearing about people's novels. I'll have to check it out! Thanks, friend ;).

      Delete
  9. You read so much! It's wonderful you found so many great reads. I can't wait for your bookish post! :D Also, I'm currently reading A Time to Speak and KDJSLKJFLDJS:LKJF. MY HEART. ALL THE THINGS. I CAN'T. These books are gonna kill me!

    Huzzah on all the writerly things you did! :D And EEEEEP. You getting something published would be the BEST. THING. EVER!!!
    Also...I MAY BE GOING TO REALM MAKERS. I MAY GET TO MEET YOU. *SHRIEKS FOREVER* I SOOOOOO WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!

    I do hope this year is the best yet for you and you accomplish your dreams! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I might be going to Realm too. It's close to me this year. Man,there should be an all girl party for the followers of Tracey Dyck and Savannah Grace blogs so we can all meet each other. It would be the cat's meow!

      Delete
    2. YOU'RE READING A TIME TO SPEAK. CHRISTINE. MY LOVE FOR THAT SERIES KNOWS NO BOUNDS. I'm absolutely going to message you later about it, so expect some flailing from me pretty soon xD.

      THANK YOU, Lauri! I'm really, really hoping I'm able to get something out there for you guys this year :D. And AHHHHHH, I'm so, SO excited to possibly meet you in July! IT'S GOING TO BE EPIC (and YES, Daisy - it be so amazing if we could all meet each other, it would be so fun <3)

      Thank you, my friend! <3 I hope that editing Burning Thorns going wonderfully and that this year is full of opportunities for you ;).

      Delete
  10. Oh my word, 136 books?! I haven’t even kept track of the number of books I’ve read. It’s probably not a lot. But I will be keeping track this year. Can’t wait for that big bookish post!

    And also, I feel the same about my Rooglewood story, Princess of the Seventh Star. SO MUCH FUN to write, and I’m definitely going to try to publish it elsewhere if it doesn’t win. (I really hope yours wins too! THAT SNIPPET… *faints* How will I be able to wait?!)

    One of my goals… finish a couple of drafts of my novel (as yet unnamed). Still only in Chapter 8 even though I planned to finish it this year *glares at self like a drill sergeant* Princess of the Seventh Star kind of took over my life, so my Smiths are getting bored. (I blame you for getting me interested in the contest xD) But, I’ll be getting back onto the Hanesion House project soon.

    And a post… um…

    https://saintgeorgeacademygrace.blogspot.com/2017/07/what-is-difference-between-aliens-and.html

    That’s one of my earliest posts, but one of my favourites.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, that was a long comment! *looks embarrassed* Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Haha, no, you're good! I love long comments <3.

      Princes of the Seventh Star - my word, that's THE MOST GORGEOUS name for a Snow White retelling! Gracious, I just love it. Wouldn't it be the coolest if we BOTH got published into the same analogy? I can't wait for April 2nd! :D

      Heehee *happily takes all blame* THE CONTEST WAS SO FUN THOUGH, I'm glad you got distracted by it xD. Good luck writing more of your novel, Grace! I hope it goes epic-ly for you ;).

      HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too, my friend!

      Delete
  11. The Garden Gate looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! A memory jar sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nabila! Haha, it was a nice idea when I had it, but then I just got too busy - I'm hoping to be able to do it a different year, though!

      Delete
  13. Over last year I probably read close to 50+ books. It was a lot to even bother keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, EPIC job with reading and keeping track of those 50+ books, Daisy! I'm glad you were able to read so many :D.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I was able to read that many. ;) I did a lot of ILL's at our library last year.

      Delete
  14. DAAAAANG GIRL. 136 BOOKS?! O_O THAT IS LITERALLY SO AWESOME. :D

    EEP YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT PITCHING AT REALM MAKERS? *cheers you on*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH - AND NOW I SHALL GO DIE FROM READING MYSELF INSANE. xD

      YES. IT IS TERRIFYING. SOMETIMES I'M TRYING NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT. We'll see how it goes, I'm excited!

      Delete
  15. I'm so excited you get to go to Realm Makers!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually have never read any of the books, but I've heard lots of good things about Scorpio Races and Nadine Brandes' books, and I hope to read them this year! Good luck with the Rooglewood Press contest: I've been watching from the sidelines for a few years now, not being a writer, but it's always exciting to see people submit entries for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so late but hopefully you get to read all those books and also publish something!

    I'd like to read a book by you someday.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.