Highlights Of January 2018


January 31, 2018



   January started off 2018 perfectly (and can you believe that I DIDN'T have a hard time writing '2018' up there in that title? Maybe I was actually ready for the new year to start xD)! It was a fairly quiet month lifewise, but I wrote a lot of words and watched some fun movies (The Greatest Showman not being one of them, sadly - I WILL GET TO IT.). Want to hear about it? 


Highlights Of January 2018 [post title image]



life


Life has been really quiet lately. January was full of school (I've been plowing ahead so that I can start my summer break early, and hopefully get my WIP all written before Realm Makers), hanging out with my family (and laughing way too hard because my sisters are hilarious), and preparing blog-ish things. And pretending that I'm an artist as I doodle in my journal, even though I hardly have an artistic bone in my body xD. But it's been lots of fun! I'm glad January was a bit of a calm month, so that I had plenty of time to do the things that needed doing.<3

writer-ly things

Well, since I finished Forgotten, and anything to do with that story is out of my hands until April, I picked up my beloved Killing Snow and started the rewrite that its been so desperately needing. And I wrote 26k words for it this month, so that's a pretty happy number for me ;).

Oh, and I can't forget - the lovely Melaine J. Morgan has been working on character sketches for the contestants of the Rooglewood writing contest, and her sketches are STELLAR, especially since she's doing them in such a short time frame! I adore the sketch she did of my villain from Forgotten, The Adder. Want to see it?

Sketch of the Adder from Forgotten by Savannah Grace (sketch by Mellaine J. Morgan)

   I love it so much <3. (even if he is the villain xD)

bookishness


January Book Collage



*gasps* THREE books? And two of those were assigned school reading? Is this a record low that I see??

Yes. Yes, it is.

But I do have an excuse! This was a reading slump month, and I reread half or parts of a lot of books ... and couldn't add them to the list because I wasn't reading them to finish them, just to revisit my favorite chapters. So technically, I did read a fair amount, but not so many FULL books xD. 

- On The Edge Of The Dark Sea Of Darkness by Andrew Peterson. This was a reread that I already knew I was going to enjoy, because I adore this series. And I think this is only the second time I've read it, so #shame (even though I only discovered it late last year xD). But I'm giving it four stars again, and I can't wait to go revisit the second book in this series!   

movies


Ooh, what is this? A new section in my Highlights post? Oh yeah.(and it was very last-minute, which is why there is no image for this section like there should be xD)

So I normally don't watch that many movies, but I've been utilizing Netflix lately - and maybe that's why I didn't read as many books this month, haha. Three of the movies were re-watches (Beauty and the Beast, Moana, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), but two of them were new, and I LOVED them both...

- The Jungle Book. Randomly decided to give this one a shot when I saw it on Netflix, and one of my closest friends told me that it was really good - and it didn't disappoint! The characters were awesome, and the animation was EPIC. Bagheera might have been my favorite ... but then, I'm sometimes partial to black panthers. They are cool xD. This movie gets four stars from me!

- The Hunger Games. OOH, LOOKY WHO FINALLY SAW THIS MOVIE. I'm wildly late to the game, but I wanted to wait and watch this one with the rest of my family (...and maybe I was slightly worried about how the book-to-movie adaption would go xD). I have a ton to say about this one - probably could manage to put a whole post together - but, in a nutshell, it was very good and I really enjoyed watching it, but I like the books better. Still, this one gets 4.5 stars from me.    
 
posts
 
http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/podcast-review-bright-eyes-by-aimee.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/2017-recap.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/7-best-books-i-read-in-2017-7-books-i.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/book-review-renegades-by-marissa-meyer.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/featured-creator-janurary-abbie-emmons.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-cliche-flip-mentors-edition.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/01/featured-author-january-heather.html


elsewhere online


- I helped the lovely authoress Rebekah Eddy redesign her blog, and it was a TON of fun, I love helping out people around the blogosphere <3.

- speaking of which - everyone scramble over to a new blog that just popped up in the blogosphere, A True Writer! True's such an epic, friendly person, and I had a lot of fun giving her a hand in setting up her first public blog <3.

- my friend Micaiah Saldana celebrated her first blogoversary at the beginning of the month, so y'all should hop on over there and check her out! (and my friend Mary Horton celebrated her two-year blogoversary, so also check her out! Her new design is gorgeous <3) 

- Nadine Brandes did a very timely post on if we should try to forgot the past, which I really loved.  (and her recap of her time at BeaulitfulCon was also fun to read)

- Sarah of The Introverted Extrovert posted about four different ways to journal the Bible, which was really neat (now I need a new Bible with extra-large margins so that I can art in them xD).

-  Esther of The Pen of a Ready Writer has been doing a blog series that's sort of a countdown to the announcement of the Rooglewood writing contest winners, and it's been fun so far, so if any of you are waiting impatiently for the announcement to happen, you should go check her out ;).

- Burning Youth did some EPIC posts this month (like this one and this one), but my favorite was probably Beloved Child, I loved it <3.

ramblings to come

    I can't say much - not without giving away #surprises - but I've got some fun things planned for February, and I can't wait to show y'all! New editions to my ongoing blog series, a cool book review, and some other special posts are all that I shall mention. AND before I end this post - you guys are probably wondering who won the ebook copy of The Tethered World, huh? Well, THE WINNER IS: Kendra Lynne. Congrats, Kendra! If you could comment your email down below (I won't moderate it, so the internet doesn't know what it is;)), that should get to you soon.

   ... and that about wraps this up! I hope y'all had an epic January, and that February is just as awesome <3.

~ Savannah Grace

how was your January? 
what are some book-to-movie adaptions you've seen? 
chat with me, y'all <3
 

25 comments :

  1. So, umm, I gotta ask: Did you like the Red Badge of Courage? I've actually NEVER hated a school book quite as much as I hated that one. It was SO INCREDIBLY AWFUL. Although if you thought it was okay, I won't mind. xD

    Dark Sea of Darkness is a worthy read. <3 I've been meaning to re-read that series myself. Maybe when my sister and dad are done reading WatWK...*bawls*

    Melanie's sketches are so incredible! I have a few of my Ink Storm character and I'm in love with them. The Adder looks incredible. Just the way I'd imagined him.

    Sounds like you had a great month; I hope February is wonderful for you too!

    Faith/Florid Sword
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it (I won't reread it, haha), but I didn't hate it? xD But I CAN TOTALLY SEE why you would hate it. Everything just felt like doom and gloom.

      ABSOLUTELY <3. And your dad and sister are reading WatWK? Is it their first time?

      Ooh, I need to see the sketches she did for your Ink Storm characters! I'm pretty sure I saw the one she did of your "evil queen" character, and I LOVED it <3. Melaine is so talented. I'm glad you like her picture of the Adder! I adore it so much <3.

      Have an epic 2nd month of 2018, my friend! <3

      Delete
    2. Yes! They are...my dad's read it before (when he read it to me) but it's her first time and I'm honestly terrified that she'll never trust my book recs again when she's done with it... :/

      Yes! I will most likely post the two I have already (of Briallen, my protagonist, and Aaliyah, my "evil queen") before too long on my blog. She's currently working on my "Prince" character (Sabara, Briallen's bestie), and possibly my Hunstman (Miyo, Sabara's brother) as well. I honestly don't remember if I actually posted that one. xD

      Thanks! You too! <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great January! I am literally in love with your bookshelf photos. The lighting! *dies* My January was fairly busy, but just enough to be content. I did see The Greatest Showman in theaters this month and though I thought it was quite good I don't think it lived up to the hype that I was given, but that's only my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly did - and thank you so much! My sister (Ariel) dabbles in photography, for she has a good camera that she lets me borrow for bookshelf pictures ;). And it's so epic that you got to see the Greatest Showman! I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations, but I'm glad you still though it was good ;).

      Delete
  3. aw loved this, Sav! it sounds like our months were very similar, aka: school. lol xD I know, right?? I only read like four books this month #crime - and, okay, I just read the first book in the WingFeather Saga this month also, and ordered the next from the library cuz apparently my libraries copy is stuck somewhere in the system?? *sigh* XD

    thanks for linking me, Savvy!! have an amazing February filled with many lovely books <33 XD

    sarah » the introverted extrovert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya, Sare! And yes, LOTS of school, good gracious xD. Ooh, you started The Wingfeather Saga? That's so epic, what did you think of the first book?

      You're welcome! And same to you ;).

      Delete
  4. I need to see The Greatest Showman. I love that sketch of The Adder, she captured him perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - you'll have to let me know what you think of it once you see it! And thank you so much, I was so excited to see it <3.

      Delete
  5. Wait - January's over? Things go by so fast - where did the first twelfth of the year go?!

    Oh, you should watch The Greatest Showman, Savannah! It was an amazing movie and the music was fantastic! (It's pretty much all I've been singing for the past month . . . )

    That character sketch is amazing! I don't know anything about your villain, but there's so much captured in that drawing. It makes me want to know more!

    I've heard the name Andrew Peterson and have seen his works around, but sadly have never read any of them yet. There's another series to add to my reading list! (The cover alone intrigues me)

    And thank you for the shoutout! It's been an adventure so far, and I really look forward to what else is in store for me. Again, thank you so much Savannah, for all that you've done helping me get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally EVERYONE I've asked has liked that movie, I'm so very excited to see it! Plus, CIRCUS, so <3. (and even though we haven't seen it, my sisters and I have been singing the soundtrack all the live long day, too :D)

      Thank you so much, True! And Melaine DEFINITELY captured him perfectly, I was so excited over what she did with him <3. I'm glad it intrigues you!

      *gasps* TRUE, YOU MUST READ THEM. And then let me know what you think when you're done ;).

      You're so welcome! A True Writer is epic <3.

      Delete
  6. Yay for the Jungle Book! It's such a lovely movie (and omg Bill Murray as Baloo was perfect).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I waited so long to watch it! And yes, Baloo was great xD.

      Delete
  7. I think I started reading The Red Badge of Courage when I was 10 or something, and then never finished it. Maybe I should find a copy and try it again now that I'm much older....

    That drawing....amazing!!! Melaine did a SUPER job!!!

    You mentioned Realm Makers...are you planning to go this year? I'm trying to plan for it myself...which is hard, because my family NEVER plans. We're just like "Let's go on a vacation...we leave at lunchtime." So planning is hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I definitely think it would be easier to understand when you're older, but I just wasn't drawn in by it xD. You'll have to tell me what you think of it if you try it again!

      Isn't it just? I was so impressed!

      YUP! I'm so, so excited, it's going to be my first-ever writer's conference ;). And you might be going, too?! EPICNESS, I hope I'll see you there!

      Delete
  8. You wrote 26k words in January??? GIRL. I NEED YOUR SKILLS AND MOTIVATION! YOU AMAZE ME!

    I've GOT to read the Wingfeather Saga. Like...WHY HAVE I NOT DONE THIS YET????

    THE JUNGLE BOOK AND THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIES. YESSSSS! I've never even been a huge Jungle Book fan. The animated one was okay, but not something I watched much. I was skeptical about a live action one. but I LOVED IT! And The Hunger Games moves are skdjflsjdlfjsd. Not perfect. BUT, they're honestly one of the best book to movie adaptions I've ever seen. They kind of stay true to the books (which NEVER happens) and it makes me so proud. The Catching Fire movie especially basically IS the book. IT'S SO GOOD!

    I look forward to seeing what surprises you have for us this month. *wriggles eyebrows* You always come up with such fun posts and things! :D

    I do hope your February is the absolute BEST! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hands you all the motivation* I WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD - YOU CAN DO IT, CHRISTINE! <3

      Oh my gracious, YES! I think you'd really love it, The Wingfeather Saga is such a fun series.

      Yeah, not perfect, but I agree about how close they stayed to the book - I was actually kind of impressed! My sisters and I started Catching Fire yesterday, and I'm liking it so far. We'll see what my final verdict is ;D.

      Thank you so much, Lauri! I'm excited to show you guys everything I've got planned ;). HAVE AN EPIC FEBRUARY, MY FRIEND. <3

      Delete
  9. Well done for getting reading done! I didn't really write much xD But that's okay... I think. I did read 4 books despite having a lack of a desire to read earlier this year ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you got out of your reading slump, Grace! Which four books did you read?

      Delete
  10. How is it February all ready?? *faints* THIS IS CRAZY.

    The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. <3 <3

    I can't wait to see what fun surprises you've got for this month! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it actually is. Maybe the calendars are lying *squints at them* xD.

      SAME <3.

      And I can't wait to show you guys! Thanks for commenting, Prill ;).

      Delete
  11. I LOVE THAT SKETCH OF THE ADDER. *stares at it in all it's wonderfulness*

    The Jungle Book remake was pretty fun, I agree!! Bagheera is awesome. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH - I still can't get over it xD.

      Yeah, I think he was my favorite - black panthers are epic <3.

      Delete
  12. Your January sounds like it was both productive and quiet! It's always nice to have months like that. :) Congrats on getting so much writing done! I only got about 5k. If that.
    I'm sure a bunch of people have told you this already, but you NEED to see the Greatest Showman!!! It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!!!! Literally everything about it was amazing... the story, the characters, the acting, the music, the singing, the choreography... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Talia! And 5k is EPIC - there's been months where I've written even less than that, so you rock <3.

      EVERYONE AND THEIR CAT HAS TOLD ME THAT - and I can't wait until I'm able to see it! It looks SO incredibly good! <3 I'll have to come and spew my thoughts about it to all of you guys once I do ;).

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.