Podcast Review - Bright Eyes by Aimee Meester


January 3, 2018



   *gasp* What is this? Not a book review? A podcast review? Do we even do such things??? 

   Of course we do. Accept no limitations, people - especially when it comes to my weirdness xD.


Podcast Review - Bright Eyes by Aimee Messter [post title image]




4.5 Stars


   Bright Eyes is the first podcast I've ever listened to (I think), so I had no idea what to expect - all I knew was that something new was coming out, and it was called Bright Eyes, and everyone had to listen to it (this is what happens when there is hype, you guys)! So when the first episode came out, I plugged my headphones in and pushed play - and then I was hooked and THERE WAS NO RETURN.


- BRIGHT EYES


Bright Eyes cover art
cover art by Stacia

The Athena Institute trains the best and the brightest of humanity for a future among the stars, and Trish Odessa has counted herself lucky to be among that handful of students. The Bright Eyes Project is a final real-world-experience test of their abilities that she is all-too-prepared for -- until her ambitious and overcurious boyfriend Milo goes missing right before the start of the test. Thrown into the role of starship captain, a role for which she's woefully underprepared and underqualified, Trish seeks to prove herself as a capable student and find Milo along the way, even if that means questioning the mysterious and sometimes-menacing Institute that oversees her every move.






the epic stuff



The mysterious plotline. The plot kept me on the edge of me seat the whole time! And I was super surprised (in a good way!) by how everything played out. Normally I have at least a teeny idea of what could happen when I'm reading a book with a mystery in the plotline, but in Bright Eyes? I had NO IDEA what was going to happen! It was lovely and glorious and I was all over it.

Athena Institute Logo
Sci-fi. I love sci-fi, but only when it's really good sci-fi, and sometime I have a hard time finding books like that. So I wasn't sure what I'd think of a sci-fi podcast, but OH MY <3. The sound effects were awesome, and I loved how they made the Bright Eyes podcast feel so sci-fi. It was epicness. This thing was better than a good deal of sci-fi books I've read. xD

- The soundtrack. The soundtrack fit this podcast like a GLOVE, it was so perfect. Honestly, Bright Eyes wouldn't have been half as good as it was without all the epic music. And the end credits music for episode 10? PERFECTION. It was all perfection, you guys.

THE CHARACTERS. Trish, Milo, Maddie - even Jude! The characters were my absolute FAVORITE part of the whole thing <3. (also just MILO. I wanted more Milo! He seemed like such an epic character and we did not see him enough, oh gracious. And whoever voiced him did epic - even if Milo didn't appear much, I think he was the best voiced character in the podcast, honestly). Trish was such an awesome main character, I loved being in her head, and I feel like her character arc was really good, too. 

It ended so well. If you've been here for any amount of time, you probably know that I am seriously picky about endings. Endings of anything - books, movies, podcasts, you name it. And Bright Eyes ended SO. WELL. (can I have a moment to just go AHSLGASLJHGALJSG? Thank you.) I loved it so much <3. 

   Okay I should stop before I blow up my blog with ravings over Bright Eyes.

the disliked stuff




Just a few smol complaints. Number one - I WANTED MORE MILO (okay that's not really a complaint but STILL), and sometimes I think Trish could have been voiced a little better (only sometimes - overall, she was very epic, Sydney did a great job voicing her). Other than that...yeah I can't even think of anything else. Overall, Bright Eyes is stunning!


   And the gorgeous final episode of Bright Eyes released at midnight on January 1st, and I woke up early the next morning to listen to it in the dark before my siblings woke up. So much fun xD. If you haven't listened to this podcast yet, where have you been? Shoo. Go listen to it. You won't regret it!

~ Savannah Grace 

have you guys listened to the Bright Eyes podcast?
who's listened to the finale already?
chat with me, y'all!

29 comments :

  1. I have seen mild talk of the Bright Eyes podcast, but didn't know squat about it, so I kinda waved it off like "Well, whatever it is..." And moved on.

    Then I read this fantastic review, and WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING?? I NEED TO GO LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST!! xD

    - Lila
    lilakimswriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, YOU NEED TO GO LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST!! xD It's so, so good - I'm glad that it was the first podcast I listened to, otherwise I'd probably be biased against it. I normally can't connect to another that's reminiscent of an audiobook, but I LOVED Bright Eyes. You'll have to tell me what you think of it once you listen to it!

      Delete
  2. AAAAHHHHH! YES TO ALL OF THIS! I never really listen to podcasts either but, like you, when I saw the hype I knew I had to jump on the bandwagon. I also knew Aimee produces amazing stuff, so I had every bit of faith this would be epic. AND IS IT EVER.

    EXCEPT I HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET. Episode 10 was the last one I listened to (and I was basically SCREAMING the whole time because AAAAHHHH!!!). But yeah, I MUST FINISH IT. Except I don't want it to be over! D: I'm glad to hear you liked the ending, because I've been really nervous about it...

    But EEP. The whole thing is just so, so, so amazing. And I'm not even that big of a sci-fi fan. So you know it's good if I like it this much! I always like to listen to it before bed in the complete dark because I guess I enjoy freaking myself out...? XD But it's the best! Hehe.

    Anyways, this review was great and I MUST FINISH LISTENING TO THESE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I followed Aimee on To The Barricade (and now on Feels Like Hope) for quite awhile, so I was pretty excited when I heard that she was doing a sci-fi podcast. She creates SUCH EPIC STUFF.

      *gasp* CHRISTINE. Nab yourself some free time and go finish up, girl! You need to listen to the last episodes, THEY ARE SO GOOD. (and then tell me your thoughts when you're done! xD)

      YES, EXACTLY. And listening to it in the dark only makes it THAT much better (which is why when I watch The Hobbit or LotR and such, I do it in the dark xD).

      Thanks, Lauri, glad you liked reading it! <3

      Delete
  3. I need to catch up on a few episodes, so I've been avoiding any spoilers like the plague. Isn't Bright Eyes so good??? I remember when Aimee was just talking about it, and now, it's out for the world to see. So proud. So proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "avoiding spoilers like the plauge" <---- I am SO BAD at this xD. Which is why I try to watch/listen to/read things while they're still really new if I don't want spoilers ;D. And YES, SO PROUD. She's done such an epic job with this thing <3 <3.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check that out! Do you know if they can be downloaded to a computer or such? I have a long car ride, and I'd love something like this to listen to. Thanks for bringing this up!

    Brianna | noendofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is on iTunes, so if you have that, it's there. It's also on BandCamp, but I don't know enough about that to know if you can download it.

      Delete
    2. Yup, you could probably download it on iTunes if you want to do that (thanks for mentioning that, Hanne!) ;). And you're welcome! I hope it works out for you to listen to it on your car ride.

      Delete
  5. Seriously. This sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what I have heard so far, it's a great podcast! Haven't finished it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? And the last episodes only get better - I can't wait until you're able to finish them!

      Delete
  7. I haven’t listened to it but I do want to!! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should check them out, Bright Eyes is really cool ;).

      Delete
  8. YES YUP UHUH <3
    I agree that the ending what perfect and honestly listening to it in the dark is the best xD :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY.
      And everything is better when you listen to/watch it in the dark xD.

      Delete
  9. I heard about this when it first came out...and sorta procrastinated...and then I just started listening to it a few weeks ago. I'm hooked!! I've listened through Episode 7, but I just realized that my podcast app skipped the first three, so I started with Episode 4. Whoops. I mean it still makes enough sense that I didn't even realize it...but um maybe I should go listen to the first three now. Anyways I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, starting it from Episode 4 sounds just like something I would do ;D. I'm glad it still made sense to you though! Bright Eyes is so great.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, this looks interesting!! I haven't listened to many podcasts! Like, none, actually. XD But I might give this one a shot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, it's super cool. You'll have to tell me what you think of it if you listen to it! ;)

      Delete
  11. Yikes. I think I should listen to this one! 😬 I will definitely get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU SHOULD - I definitely think it's something you'd enjoy ;).

      Delete
  12. ok ok read the post. here are my thoughts
    the sci-fi feel was 100 percent and the creepiness was real, I LOVED IT SO MUCHH ARGHH
    the soundtrack was gorgeous and perfect and the mood was captured in the most amazing way
    I love how sassy trish is like jeez girl and she's so sarcastic and there were times where I was laughing out loud listening to it
    I use this podcast as my personal prescription inspiration tbh when I feel out of creative energy itis my go-to it is so fresh and noice and neat and inspiring you know
    I actually kind of predicted the thing at the end the creepy thing yk because my mind kept going back to gemina ( a book)
    I also just really love the purple-ness?? and it ties in so well with the cover art and the name 'bright eyes' arghh
    also jude and trish interacting is hilarious much sass much laughter much wow
    that was long but i'm so glad I found someone who also listens to it
    fun fact: I got a friend from schoolto listen to it with me and we hung out together listening to a few episodes and yes the bonding level was 110 11/10 would reccommend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AGREE - the sound effects made it feel so perfectly creepy, I loved it!

      And YES, Trish was perfection. I love sassy/sarcastic characters, and Trish made me grin so many times xD.

      Oh gracious, same here! Bright Eyes is the perfect thing for re-fueling creativity. I always get so inspired to write stuff when I listen to it :D.

      OOH, REALLY? That's so epic! I've never read Gemina, but now I might have to check it out...

      I'm so glad you're a fan of it! I love raving with people about Bright Eyes xD. It's SO EPIC that you got a friend to listen to it with you - I need to get my sisters to do that with me xD. Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete
  13. I LOVE Bright Eyes! I don't listened to many podcasts, and I don't really like sci-fi either, but Bright Eyes is both of those and I really, really enjoyed it! (and I agree: the soundtrack for it fits SO well: it's amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome? <3 I don't listen to many, either, but after Bright Eyes, I might have to go find more! xD (YES, Cyrus Fontaine did an epic job with the soundtrack. It fits Bright Eyes so perfectly!)

      Delete
  14. I love podcasts! When I can't read, I like listening to these. I've heard of this podcast but never listened to it, so I'm definitely going to have to check it out! =D

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, you definitely should check it out! I think you'd really like it. You'll have to let me know what you thought of it once you've listened to a few episodes! ;)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.