Highlights Of February 2018


February 28, 2018


 
   February is over, and we are apparently heading into the last month of the first quarter of 2018?

   Who condoned this madness.










The winter months are always pretty quiet for my family (which is normally fine by me because 1) time for reading 2) time for writing 3) SNOW SNOW SNOW oh wait I mean time for school work), and February was no different, just another great month in which we celebrated some birthdays, watched the icicles glitter like Christmas lights from the gutters, and I tried very hard to beat my siblings in the million card games we played during our free time xD.

And I got to work on blog designs for a few more people too, which was quite fun, I love doing blog design :D.



Writing? What writing? I've just been over here holding my breath until April 2nd arrives! (please don't trip on that unconscious being on the floor, it is me)

Alright, I'm kidding kind of. My brain has been churning out enough new story ideas that I'm being swamped! But I started plotting and zero-drafting a new-ish one this month that has been all sorts of fun (want to know which one? Well, go check out THIS POST - it's the story entitled The Chained Circus. It's a tough one to write, but I'm having a good time with it. Love/hate relationship, you know? xD). I think I've written about 10k words this month, so I'm pretty happy with that number! <3

At some point I should show you snippets - maybe do a whole post full of them? Let me know in the comments if this is something you'd like me to do!

 

Yeah, that's MUCH better than what I read last month, haha. And so many of those books were very good! Want to hear about them? 

- Allegiant by Veronica Roth. So I am very late in reading the last book in the Divergent trilogy ... but now that I have, I kinda wish I hadn't? I honestly liked the series a lot better when I had only read the first two books. The pace in this one was just too slow, and the characters were getting on my nerves. I honestly was planning on giving this book only 2 stars, but *highlight for spoilers* then Tris sacrificed herself, and I almost feel like her death made the book a teeny bit better? Or maybe it was because I was annoyed at her, I dunno *shrugs* *end of spoilers* but because of that, I nudged it up a little and gave it 2.5. So there's my take on that book.

- The Evaporation Of Sofi Snow by Mary Weber. After reading Shilo, I absolutely had to go back and read the first book in the duology over again. And guess what? When I first read this book, I only gave it 2.5 stars, but after reading Shilo Snow and then coming back, I'm giving it a 3.5. Because somehow this is one of them strange books that can get better as a reread xD.

- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I watched the Hunger Games movie for the first time last month, which meant that I badly needed to grab the book and reread it - because there's something in the book that the movie just didn't have. And a reread of this epic book has never disappointed me, so I'm giving it a shiny four stars again! I do not think my love for this book will ever die xD. 

I also reviewed Reclaiming Shilo Snow this month, so y'all can go check that out if you want more of my bookish thoughts ;).

Also, Mary Weber's book club started up this month (of course I joined it xD) and their first read was Renegades, so guess what author all of us book club people got to chat with as a part of that? Marissa Meyer! It was tons of fun to have her virtually there at the book club for half an hour (and I may or may not have felt a little starstruck because #majorfangirl xD) <3    

 
- Catching Fire. Because of course I couldn't stop after I watched Hunger Games last month! And Catching Fire was so. Good! I loved how they stayed pretty true to the book, it was all so epic. I'm going to give this one a shiny four stars! (and I may or may not have already rewatched some of it ... xD) 

- Alice Through The Looking Glass. So I didn't expect to actually like this movie - it seemed a little weird, but I thought I'd give it a shot - but I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! The actress they picked for Alice was just perfect, and I loved the rest of the characters. Such a fun watch. I'd give this one four stars. 

- Mockingjay. AJSGLJHAGSLHSJK. So much love for the last two movie in the Hunger Games series <3. Personally, I think I preferred Mockingjay 1 (which I'm giving 4.5 stars) to Mockingjay 2 (which I'm giving 4 stars), because I wish they had ended Mockingjay 2 a little differently - but honestly, other than that I can't find much to complain about. I just love these movies so much. I probably could do a whole post about them, but for now I shall refrain from turning this monthly highlights post into a 'why The Hunger Games is epic' post xD.   

- The Sparticle Mystery (season one and two). So this was a random show that my sister and I stumbled upon when we were looking for something new to watch, and it actually was pretty good. The first season was better than the second, and the quality of the show wasn't the best - but the characters were good (<3), and the storyline was interesting, so I'm giving it three stars overall. 








http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/featured-author-february-ka-emmons.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/book-review-reclaiming-shilo-snow-by.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/featured-creator-february-aimee-meester.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-cliche-flip-love-interest-edition_15.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-soul-snatcher-short-story-by-true.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/7-books-i-should-have-read-years-ago-7.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-comp-title-challenge.html
 





- Victoria from Wanderer's Pen did a post on writing lessons from The Greatest Showman, which was seriously epic. (I'm still dying to watch that movie xD)

- Katie Grace did the bibliophile sweater tag and I CAN'T with her gorgeous book pictures <3. (she also did a hilarious post about all the cringe-y things that authors have put in their first novels that I joined in on. So much fun!)

- Rosalie from Penprints did a fangirl post about the Tales of Goldstone Wood which was incredibly fun to read, because I adore that series so much <3.

- Lisa did the epic Comp Title Challenge, and OH GRACIOUS do I need her books now or what.

- The beautiful award-winning novel Martin Hospitality turned one! So proud of that gorgeous work of art <3.

- The fabulous Audrey Caylin has become a freelance editor, so definitely go check out her services!

- Pursue Magazine revealed the cover for the next issue of their beautiful magazine - and my sisters almost died when they realized that Brennley Brown was on the front cover (needless to say, they are massive fans of The Voice xD)!

- Three EPIC books released just yesterday - The Traitor's Game and By A Charm and A Curse and Tess of The Road - all of which I am dying to read them all! The covers are GORGEOUS, and the stories look even more epic. Thus, my tbr list just got three books higher xD.

- Also, there's some very exciting releases coming up in March - Reclaiming Shilo Snow (a book that I thoroughly adore) and the movie of A Wrinkle In Time! I'm really curious to see if A Wrinkle In Time will be good because, contrary to popular opinion, I actually don't like A Wrinkle In Time? The book just ... didn't interest me that much when I read it awhile back. But maybe I'll give it another shot, what with the movie coming out and all ;). 

- The sequel to Renegades has a TITLE! And I cannot wait to be able to read Archenemies <3.  

 
Fun author interviews, an interview with an epic creator, a new edition to The Cliche Flip - there's tons of fun things that will be happening in March! (also, if there's ever an author/creator that YOU would like me to feature, shoot me their name and website over on my contact page, and I just might be able to make it happen!) I've got tons of fun stuff planned for the next month (*cough* plus something very special *cough*), and I can't wait to show you. 

   So - I'll see you in March, oh scribbling scribes! Keep being epic <3. 

~ Savannah Grace 

how was your February?
are you excited to see A Wrinkle In Time?
chat with me, my friends! <3

35 comments :

  1. Awesome wrap up. Sounds like your month was filled with bookishness and fun writing. I can't wait for the rooglewood contest winners to be announced. I didn't enter, but I beta read for three people and I'm super excited for them.

    Have an awesome March!

    ~Ivie|Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivie! I love writing these posts, even when the month has been pretty quiet. You beta read for three of them? Lucky! I love reading the novellas that got entered <3. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Same to you, my friend! ;)

      Delete
  2. Ireland and a couple of other European countries are experiencing quite a bit of snow. We can actually build proper snowmen now! Though I'm glad that school's cancelled, I hope it doesn't become a MAJOR disruption.

    Well done for the 10K! I planned on writing but... that didn't happen. I was still concentrating on language learning which also wasn't the best to be honest :/ I'm ready to do better this month, though ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so epic! And I still think its SO COOL that you live over there in Europe - I've always wanted to go there <3.

      Thank you so much! I hope this month proves to be super productive for you, my friend <3.

      Delete
  3. Happy March! Wow, how the time flies...

    That's so fun that you reread and rewatched some of the Hunger Games. What a marvelous series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you! And yes, the Hunger Games is so, so great <3.

      Delete
  4. There has been so much snow where I live too! I love an excuse to stay inside and write, sounds like you had a good month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Isn't it so amazingly beautiful? And yes, excuses to stay inside and write are always awesome :D.

      Delete
  5. I am SO excited for Archenemies! :)) I can't believe it's already March *scream*. Time goes by so fast! Aww, the Hunger Games. I need to rewatch those movies. :)
    I have to admit, I am NOT looking forward to the Wrinkle in Time movie....I didn't enjoy the book, and the movie looks kinda silly. (Oprah Winfrey, *cough*). But anyway, just my opinion. :)) We're going to see Black Panther tomorrow, so I'm excited. :)
    Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! I liked Renegades, but it definitely wasn't perfect, so I'm crazy excited to find out if Archenemies can beat it!

      I haven't read A Wrinkle In Time for such a long, long time - I really do need to check it out again so I can refresh my memory before the movie! I'll have to let you know my opinion on both once I read/watch them ;). And you'll have to tell me what you thought of Black Panther! That movie seems SO COOL.

      Thanks, Allison! <3

      Delete
    2. Let me know what you think of A Wrinkle in Time! :)) Sooo, Black Panther. I didn't really enjoy it *hides*, even tho I'm a HUGE Marvel fan (probably too much of a fan, lol). The character Black Panther is awesome, but there was a little too much senseless killing (even for Marvel movies) and the bad guy was psycho. :)) Tho the post-credits scene was AWESOME #iscreamed #notsorry. :)) Sorry this is long and rambl-y....:))

      Delete
    3. Allison, trust me. You're not long and rambl-y. I have done long and rambl-y comments--yours are just fine! :)

      Aren't the post-credits scenes usually awesome? ;D I'm interested to read your thoughts on the movie! Now I'll have something to think about whenever I watch it myself.

      Delete
    4. Aw, thanks! :)) Marvel post-credit scenes are always awesome! Especially the Spider Man: Homecoming ones :)). Yea, so it wasn't my favorite movie...tho the character Black Panther is amazing (and I loved his sister and the other Wakanda people), but the amount of senseless killing (i.e., shooting, etc.) was just over the top. It didn't help that it was portrayed in a joking manner. Definitely not like other Marvel movies. Don't get me started on the villain, lol. Let me know what you think once you watch it! :))

      Delete
  6. I totally agree about Allegiant!

    I am ... cautiously optimistic... about A Wrinkle in Time? The book is one of my favorites of all time, so I've got pretty high standards when it comes to the movie. Not that the movie being awful can in any way detract from my love of the book... I'd just like for it to be as beautiful and epic as the book.

    We've had tons of snow here, too, *dances happily* though having a less than 1 year old makes it a bit difficult to actually go out and play in it very often. sigh.

    The Greatest Showman is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOD! I will have to file that post away to read it later.

    I just realized that I still haven't seen the Mockingjay movies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hope that the movie isn't a flop! I'm not really a fan of the book (but since you love it so much, I'll definitely be reading it with an open mind to see if my opinion has changed!), but the movie looks like it could be good? Here's hoping!

      Aw, that's too bad - hopefully you've had one snow day, at least?

      EVEN THE TRAILER IS AMAZING. <3 <3 <3 Yes, definitely read the post when you have time! I haven't seen the movie yet, and I still thought the post was epic.

      Well then get thee to a movie theatre (...or the nearest t.v. ...), Jenelle! You can't leave the trilogy unfinished ;D.

      Delete
  7. Man, how is it March already? I'm loving your interviews and spotlights: keep them up! They're so interesting!

    I hATED The Wrinkle in Time book, so I really haven't thought much about watching the movie...but we'll see if my views change. XD I've also never watched the Hunger Games movies, but I did read the books. I enjoyed them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've got a TON more planned, so they won't be stopping anytime soon ;D.

      It IS a very strange book - I remember almost putting it down because I just couldn't get into it? But that was multiple years ago - so both of our views might have changed! And THE HUNGER GAMES BOOKS <3. I love the movies, but the books will ALWAYS be the best xD.

      Delete
  8. Time has been flying soooooo fast. It's crazy!!!
    I love the Hunger Games movies! My family and I watch them alllllll the time. :) I liked the first Alice in Wonderland better than the new one, but the new one really wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing, aren't they? I was actually really impressed by them, I didn't expect them to be that epic! (oh, also - you and your sister were the ones who love that Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo, right?)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they are! <3 SO GOOD.
      Yeah, we were.

      Delete
  9. I love your cliche flip posts AHH <3 You've got such great things happening on your blog! *tackle hugs you* And I am SO PUMPED to see A Wrinkle in Time like AHHH. I'm planning to go see it with my little bro, but I can't go see it as soon as it comes out because I'LL BE OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Sigh. Ah well. Being away will be worth it :P Also, I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT JENNIFER NIELSEN'S NEW BOOK! I preordered it and it came on Tuesday, but I was out of town and so didn't get my hands on it until late last night, which of course was when I started it. (who cares what time it is IT'S JENNIFER NIELSEN, MAN) It's so good so far and AH. I'm so scared o.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH - I'm having way, way too much fun coming up with new blog series, somebody has to stop me xD. WAIT OUT OF THE COUNTRY - ahh, that's so cool! I've never been out of the country before, but I've always wanted to. Where are you going?

      I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THE TRAITOR'S GAME. Jennifer A. Nielsen is one of the ONLY authors that I'll buy from without reading the book first xD. AND YOU HAVE IT ALREADY?? Lucky! You'll have to message me with your thoughts on it once you've finished!

      Delete
  10. I love your wrap-up posts! ^_^

    Okay so YES I WANT SNIPPETS AND I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS STORY IDEA OF YOURS AND A NEED TO KNOW MOOOOOORE!!!!! *flails*

    The Hunger Games is suuuch a rereadable book. I've reread it so many times, it's getting ridiculous. XD And oh my goodness, I LOVE THE MOVIES. The books are obviously better (I mean, always!), but I'm REALLY proud of how well they did with the movies. The Catching Fire movie is my faaaave. I feel like it captured the book the best. I've been in the mood to rewatch them and now you're making me want to even MORE. So thanks! :P

    Also...ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS! *incoherent fangirl shrieks* I'm obsessed with both of those Alice movies! Buuut I may be biased since I have an undying love for all things Alice in Wonderland. XD BUT ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS WAS SO GOOD. ASDKFJLSJDLFJSDLJF.

    Ahem. Now that I've got all THAT fangirling out of the way...

    I'm intrigued by the Wrinkle in Time movie as well. Because I didn't like the book either! :O I just...didn't click with it. But the movie looks interesting. Though the cast seems kinda weird, but we shall see!

    I'm looking forward to all your March posts! I think it's gonna be a great month! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, LAURI - I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOW IT TO YOU GUYS even though right now the characters are trying to KILL ME by taking the story in all different directions at once and NOT following the outline ;D. So WE'LL SEE how long it takes me to write something worth sharing! xD

      Oh, definitely - they're probably the closest book-to-movie adaption that I've ever seen! (and as Suzanne Collins was one of the executive producers, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, haha) I'm SO GLAD that they did the movies so well, I would have been sad if they'd ruined them xD.

      IT WAS SUCH A FUN, QUIRKY MOVIE! I haven't read the Alice In Wonderland book for such a long time (... just retellings of it, haha), but I NEED TO READ IT AGAIN. xD

      I can't wait until they're posted so that you guys can see them! And YUP - we're going to rock March *fistbump*

      Delete
  11. Fun times! =)
    I'd be interested in reading a post about The Hunger Games, since I've mostly heard people say they don't like those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - even quiet months can be pretty fun, especially when writing is involved :D.
      Really? I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about it, haha xD. Now I might just have to schedule a day for a post like that! ;)

      Delete
  12. I saw Lisa's Comp Title Challenge too!! I NEED HER BOOKS LIKE YESTERDAY. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GRACIOUS SAME. We should start a campaign xD.

      Delete
  13. HEY SAV I think I know a good person you could interview. I mean, I have no idea if she will agree but if she does I think it would be awesome! Heather Dixon, author of Illusionarium and Entwined! She also is a storyboard artist for Disney, and helps coach writers :D Her web addresses are: http://www.heatherdixon.ca/ and http://story-monster.com/

    I REALLY LOVE YOUR INTERVIEW SERIES BTW <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hilarious that you say that, because I contacted Heather Dixon about three days before you posted this comment ;D. Haven't heard back from her yet, but I'll have to let her know that she's been requested! Thanks, Lisa <3.

      THAT MAKES ME GRIN SO MUCH - I'm so glad you're enjoying it, my friend! It's been a lot of fun to put together ;).

      Delete
    2. *cough* Sorry, I just realized that I'd linked you to two entirely different Heather Dixons so ... #awkwardmistake #ignoremyignorance

      xx Lisa

      Delete
  14. What? No words on Series of Unfortunate Events? I’m curious to see what you thought!
    My February was generally pretty good. I did get sick about halfway through, and I learned the hard way not to write my blogposts in Blogger. But aside from that, things were good.
    A Wrinkle in Time... I’m not sure. I saw a movie (or TV movie) adaptation of it, which was kind of weird. I don’t know if I’ll see it. (And Alice Through the Looking Glass was, um, different? I really liked Time. It was kind of fun. But... I don’t know. I’d have to rewatch it to give some accurate thoughts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought it was ... I dunno, really weird? Do the other books in the series get better? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep going with the series xD.

      Aw, I'm sorry you were sick! And what happened with your blog posts?

      Haha, yeah - it's definitely one of the weirder movies that I've watched xD. And if you do see A Wrinkle In Time, you'll have to let me know what you think! I have a feeling that EVERYBODY is going to have very varying opinions on that movie ;D.

      Delete
    2. Well, I... kind of only know it from the TV series. *embarrassed look* I'm going to have to change that, see how the books are. And yeah, it is really weird XD. I think I'd say to give the second book a try, then if you feel like you want to continue, go ahead.

      Thanks! The story about my blog post isn't a fun one. I had been writing a long-ish post for Valentine's Day, and I'd just finished it. And then Blogger decided it wasn't going to save ANY of it. It did turn out for the best--the new version of it I wrote was much better--but I felt pretty horrible losing all that work.

      Which one was one of the weirder movies you watched? Alice Through the Looking Glass? And on A Wrinkle in Time, I will be sure to let you know my thoughts!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like you had a good month. :)

    Funnily enough, I don't love The Hunger Games as books (though I never did read Catching Fire), but I don't dislike them as films. I think mainly, the concept of the story isn't "my thing," but the pro in the movies is Jennifer Lawrence, who seems to give Katniss so much more personality. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.