The Comp Title Challenge


February 3, 2018




   So guess who created an epic challenge that I've been dying to do since she started it? My friend Madeline from Short and Snappy! The Comp Title Challenge looks like it's going to be immensely hard, but immensely fun ... so let's give it a whirl, shall we?


The Comp Title Challange [post title image]




Ze Rules: 

- pick a few of your WIPs (I'm going with five of mine) - 
- give them some comp titles - 
- tag a few people - 
- have fun (well this will be easy xD) -



Forgotten // The Girl Who Drank The Moon meets Unraveling meets Forest Born 


   The Girl Who Drank The Moon because of the feel (only sometimes - Forgotten is a fairly complicated book), and Unraveling because of the characters (the characters in Unraveling are epic), and Forest Born partially because of the setting, but, again, characters <3 (can you tell that Forgotten is very character-oriented? xD).

birch trees





The Testing // Howl's Moving Castle meets The False Prince


   Howl's Moving Castle because of Diana Wynne Jones' style of humor in her books (and I've been told that the bit of The Testing that I shared on here had a Diana-Wynne-Jones-esque feel to it), and The False Prince because of the mansion/castle setting, and the characters feel a little bit Jennifer A. Nielsen-esque, maybe? I have fun thinking they might, haha.



Killing Snow // Maze Runner meets The Evaporation Of Sofi Snow meets Six Of Crows


   The Evaporation of Sofi Snow for its epic dystopian and sci-fi stuff (that's Killing Snow's genre), Six Of Crows - a book which I actually didn't enjoy - for part of its vibe, and maybe a bit of the setting. I can't remember the book well, but something about it reminded me a teeny bit of Killing Snow when I read it. And then Maze Runner for the ... high stakes and large levels of doom? Haha, it's all pretty hard to explain xD. 

skyscrapers




The Chained Circus // Divergent meets Caraval meets The Moon Master's Ball meets Entwined


   Divergent because of how that story is steeped in dystopian vibes (The Chained Circus is in the dystopian genre), Caraval because of the characters and maybe a little of the feel? And The Moon Master's Ball mostly because of the circus aspect of that story (though the circus aspects in my story are not like those in The Moon Master's ball, haha), and Entwined for its pretty, yet kind of darker vibe at times (...The Chained Circus is complicated, okay? xD).



The Dreamer's Game // The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making meets Alice In Wonderland meets Entwined


   The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland for the wild, strange feel of it (The Dreamer's Game is a little like a young adult version of those books, maybe?), and Alice in Wonderland because of it's strangeness, and Entwined because of it's darker vibe, yet it's still beautiful and strange at the same time. (can you tell that The Dreamer's Game is a strange book? xD) 

ocean




I Tag:

Aimee Meester @ Feels Like Hope
Katie Grace @ A Writer's Faith
Lisa @ Inkwell
True @ A True Writer
+ anyone else who wants to take a crack at this!




   That was so much fun - you guys need to give it a shot! I actually feel like doing that is going to be very useful for when someone asks me what my books about (which is probably going to happen, seeing as I'm going to Realm Makers in July xD). 

   Alright, before I close this thing and scamper on out of here, I've one last thing to say - guess who's getting published in the March issue of Splickety Magazine?!?!?

... yup, I'll think I'll just leave ya with that. See you guys later *mic drop*.   

~ Savannah Grace 

which of these stories would you be most interested to read?
try making comp titles for your own stories in the comments!

24 comments :

  1. SAVANNAH, I NEED ALL OF THESE BOOKS ASAP. The Dreamer's Game and The Chained Circus both sound amazing (also, THOSE TITLES ARE FLAWLESS). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GRACIOUS THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'm so glad you like the titles and the sound of the stories! <3

      Delete
  2. YOU ARE BEING PUBLISHED IN SPLICKETY??!! NOOOO WAAAAYYY... *ahem* I just recieved five of their magazines in the mail from Rosalie Valentine bc I won them in her last giveaway and they are amaaaaazing. ARE YOU A FLASH FIC FAN TOO? Bc I am!!! Yay and hurray!!!

    Thanks for the tag!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO EXCITED. I've never read any of their magazines (YET, yet - I really want to!), but they look SO GOOD. And YAY A FELLOW FLASH FIC FAN *highfives*. I never can have enough of it xD.

      Delete
  3. Um, Savannah? YOU LITERALLY WRITE THE TYPES OF STORIES I'M CONSTANTLY LOOKING FOR!!! Dark, fairytale-ish, bizarre things? Like...like...THAT IS MY FAVORITE STUFF EVERRRR. GET PUBLISHED, CHILD. I NEED ALL YOUR BOOKS!!!!

    And waaaaaait?! You are going to be published in Splickety? Savannah! SAVANNAH!!! I AM SO PROUD/EXCITED/ECSTATIC FOR YOOUUUU!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASLGJLAHGSJLAG THANK YOU SO MUCH CHRISTINE. I'm so glad that you like the sound of these! I can't wait until you're able to read one of them xD. I SHALL GET PUBLISHED AS SOON AS I CAN AND YOU WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO KNOW WHEN I SIGN THE BOOK CONTRACT xD.

      YES, AND I'M STILL SO HAPPY ABOUT IT! I can't wait until the issue releases so that you guys can see it :D. Thanks for commenting, Christine!

      Delete
  4. This is so hard....XD I have a post with some of my own comp titles going up before tooooo long.

    I absolutely agree with you on Forgotten--while I haven't read two of them, Girl who Drank the Moon has a very similar quality, IMO.

    Also I agree with Christine. Please get published. I needs these books. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yay, I can't wait to see it! I think I'm addicted to creating comparison titles now xD.

      Aw, thank you so much, I'm glad you think they're kind of similar! I love TGWDTM so much <3.

      AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ;D.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh these all sound awesome! I haven't read enough of your comparing books to know exactly what they're like, but your synopses sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya so much, Hanne! And OH GRACIOUS, you need to try some of the books in the comp titles! A lot of them are some of my favorites :D.

      Delete
  6. This tag is so cool! I'd probably want to read the first one most.
    You're getting published?!?!?!?!?!?! I am so so exciting for you!! *smiling ecstatically* This means I finally get to read your awesome work! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you - and you might get the chance to read it sooner than later! I'm waiting for the contest results to find out whether it will be getting published or not ;).

      And YES, I AM! I'm really excited for that issue of Splickety to release - it'll be neat to see my work in a magazine, and for you guys to be able to read it! <3 <3

      Delete
  7. OOOH, I think I'm most intrigued by Forgotten and then THE CHAINED CIRCUS AHH. I'm SO here for that kind of vibe. *flails* Have you written that one yet?

    (and thanks for tagging me! I'm SO bad at coming up with Comp titles so I don't think it would make a very interesting post, though. It would just be me going, "Uh... not sure. Yeah. Can't think of one. Moving on." :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chained Circus is SO SO NEW AND FRESH AND BEAUTIFUL and I'm trying desperately not to let the idea of it get burned out by thinking about it day and night xD. I've barely written 500 words of it, 'cause I'm still in the brainstorming stage, but I'm REALLY excited to start exploring the story more :D.

      "Uh... not sure. Yeah. Can't think of one. Moving on." Haha, that's hilarious ;D. But your stories are SO EPIC, so I guess we'll forgive you for that ;D.

      Delete
  8. This was so fun. =) I was surprised I didn't recognize more of your books!
    Comp titles are just other stories that remind you of your own? Can you do movies? I can't do this without movies. . .
    Nieo & Star: Zootopia + The Hobbit + Lilo and Stitch
    Anchored: basically Pirates of the Caribbean + ANY STORY WHERE THE CHARACTERS ACTUALLY HAVE MORALS. *cough* At least that was my inspiration. I hope it flavors a little of Elizabeth George Speare too, because I LOVE her.
    Poor unnamed sci-fi story: Star Wars + Firmament Series + something-else-I-can't-place
    Huh, I'm kind-of bad at this! Yours all sounded so professional. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I think that only two of them are ones that I REALLY talk about a lot :D.

      And I love how you used movie titles, too! That's really cool - and I NEED TO SEE Pirates Of The Caribbean! It looks so cool (plus PIRATES). And the comp titles you made up for your stories are EPIC, and I think they fit them pretty well ;).

      Delete
    2. I guess I'd heard some of them before, but I hadn't actually READ a lot of them--and they weren't necessarily titles you LIKED, either. . .
      Thanks! Too much screen time can really kill my creativity, but movies ARE pretty inspiring. . .
      The first Pirates was fun, if your parents would be okay with the content. The next two disgusted me, honestly, and I didn't bother with the fourth. Mostly complaints with the characters (and content) though. They are definitely a fun genre! Which is what I'm shooting for in Anchored. *fingers crossed* (That story needs so much work! =) )

      Delete
  9. Ooo, all of your books sound awesome!! I especially liked the description of The Dreamer's Game. :D

    I'm like 14k into a first draft right now, and so far, the story is The Screwtape Letters meets Les Miserables, which is a REALLY weird combination. Of course, it'll probably change as I get farther into the story, but for now that works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Talia! I haven't touched that one since I wrote it in 2015, but I'm excited for the day when I start it again ;).

      14k?? GO YOU, TALIA! *much applause* And your comp title is pretty cool - I LOVE how different your two comparison books are! I bet your story is seriously epic ;).

      Delete
  10. What do you mean "comp?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "comp" like comparison - basically it's two or three titles of books that are similar to yours in some way ;).

      Delete
  11. hOW DID I NOT SEE THIS UNTIL JUST RIGHT NOW?? O_O EEEE YOU DID MY CHALLENGE. *dances around*

    Oh my word, The Chained Circus and The Dreamer's Game sound ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. O_o I NEED ALL YOUR BOOKS SAVANNAH PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEASE. *puppy dog eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I DID - I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN I SAW IT GO UP ON YOUR BLOG, BECAUSE IT LOOKED SO EPIC. It's a seriously awesome idea! <3

      OH MY GRACIOUS, THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 <3 <3. I'm hoping to get some stuff out to you guys REALLY SOON, but we'll see what happens ... maybe I'll have to do a post of snippets in the near future ;D. Thanks for commenting, Madeline!

      Delete
  12. Oooh! Neat idea!

    I was already interested in Forgotten/Asher Grey! After this... I'm probably interested in all of them, but the only one that I'm interested in due to the comp title is The Dreamer's Game (because it's the only one that includes books I've read *awkward cough*).

    For my comp titles, I'll pick...
    Hanesion House series--Harry Potter meets The Tethered World meets Narnia meets The Hobbit
    Princess of the Seventh Star--Snow White meets Star Wars meets That Hideous Strength
    Candy Pirates--Pirates of the Caribbean meets The A-Team meets The Cinnamon Bear

    That's all for now! (Please get your lovely writings published as soon as possible!)

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.