Book Review - Legendary by Stephanie Garber


May 28, 2018


   So y'all. Guess which epic book comes out tomorrow?

   LEGENDARY.

Book Review of Legendary by Stephanie Garber


4 Stars

I've been waiting to read Legendary ever since I finished reading Caraval when it came out (I will never quit raving about Caraval. Try and stop me, I dare you ;D), so when my lovely friend Soleil sent me a copy (you're a gem, my friend! <3), I devoured it in less than 24 hours!  

From The Back Cover

Cover Image of Legendary by Stephanie Garber
A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.

After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.

The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more—and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about—maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval...the games have only just begun.




The Epic Stuff

Bookshelf pic of Legendary by Stephanie Garber
- The mystery. Oh look, and here's one of the biggest reasons that I also mentioned back in my Caraval review! xD But a HUGE portion of this Legendary was Tella trying to find out who Legend really is - which meant that I was guessing the entire time, too! It was loads of fun going through the whole book thinking 'could he be Legend? Wait, hold on - maybe he's Legend!' . Loved that aspect so much <3. Plus, the game that the book revolves around - Caraval - is never what it seems, so that only added to the mystery aspect, which was tons of fun. 

- The descriptions. Guys, let me tell you - Stephanie Garber is QUEEN when it comes to descriptions. I was basically drowning in the goregousness of it all the entire time I was reading Legendary <3. Normally in a book where the main character's dress is described EVERY TIME she changes, I'll get a little bored and start skimming descriptions. But in this book? NO WAY - there's was no way I was missing any more of Garber's beautiful word play!

Bookshelf image of Legendary by Stephanie Garber
- The world...and the higher stakes. The world of Legendary is just as vivid as the world in Caraval - but the place that Legendary is set in is so different from the Isla de los Suenos in Caraval. I loved how it was the same game being played, but a whole new environment. (also, what I wouldn't give it visit Elantine's Tower <3) I also loved how everything took a higher-stakes turn in Legendary! In Caraval it was Tella being played for, but in Legendary, Tella is playing to save...well, everything (#spoilers).
Any Dislikes

Bookshelf image of the spine / cover of Legendary by Stephanie Garber
- Some scenes were...ah, not needed. I almost knocked the rating down to 3.5 stars because of that (I'm kinda still considering it - but the prose, plot, and world building were too good for less than a four) But ANYways - there were definitely some scenes in Legendary that made me cringe, and I wish they could have been taken out. They really weren't needed.

- The characters were harder to get attached to. Hey, hey - I did still like the main character, don't get me wrong (Tella is super spunky and fun) but some of the character's morals were completely out of whack. Like, the love interest prided himself on being bad, so ... there's that. I just found the characters a little harder to get attached to in Legendary than I did in Caraval. (could be because I held them all up to Scarlett, and I loved Scarlett a LOT xD). (also MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT (highlight to read): Dante was Legend? And I still don't know what to think about that? Do I like it or not? *has problems* *probably will have problems until Finale comes out* ;D END OF SPOILER)   
Final Thoughts

Legendary spun a web that Stephanie Garber is going to have a hard time getting her characters out of in Finale (who am I kidding, no she's not - Garber is a MASTER writer)! If you enjoyed Caraval, I'd say you should give Legendary a shot (though I'd only recommend it for readers 16+). And I'll just be over here, melting into a smol puddle as I wait for the final installment of the Caraval trilogy.

It's going to be epic

~ Savannah Grace 


have you read Legendary (or Caraval) yet?
what's your favorite book that revolves around a game?
 

16 comments :

  1. Wow - this sounds like a really cool book! I remember seeing Caravel on the shelves over the past year or so, but never quite got around to reading it. But after this post, and all of your excitement for the book, I think I'll try and see if I can add it to my summer reading list!

    ~True // atruewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I enjoyed Caraval more (pretty much only because it was a good deal cleaner than Legendary), so I would definitely recommend that you add at least that one to your TBR! It's such a magical book <3

      Delete
  2. I still need to read Caraval! I've had my eye on that stunning cover for a while, but I haven't gotten the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's half the reason I picked Caraval up in the first place - the cover is BEYOND incredible <3. I hope you get the chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  3. Man, I haven’t even read Caravel yet, but now I must add that to my TBR pile! Great review, Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yay! I hope you enjoy it! <3 (and thank you so much!)

      Delete
  4. That cover is so beautiful!
    I liked Caravel, but I'm hoping I'll like this book better, since I only rated Caravel three stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I can't wait to see the cover for the third book in this trilogy - I bet it will be STUNNING <3.

      I hope you enjoy it, too! You'll have to let me know what you thought of it if/when you read it ;).

      Delete
  5. Ahhh this makes me want to read Caravel. I've seen it everywhere! And after what you've said, I'm now very convinced I need to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO READ CARAVAL - it isn't the very cleanest book (there were a couple scenes that I wish weren't there *is miffed*), but I seriously love that book. You'll have to let me know what you think after you read it!

      Delete
  6. I just got Caravel, can't wait to read it and Legendary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fistbump* YES - you'll have to let me know what you think of Caraval after you finish it! <3

      Delete
  7. I liked Caravel better than Legendary too! though both of them were fantastic, Caravel was just cleaner and the plot was better too, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree - I enjoyed Legendary, but Caraval was better. And cleaner xD. I CANNOT wait until Finale comes out!

      Delete
  8. I still need to read Caraval! I started it a long time and then... Never finished it. I DON'T KNOW WHY. *hides face* I'll have to read it soon so I can pick up Legendary. =D Also, great review!

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GRACIOUS, YOU DIDN'T?? MICAIAH. You need to pick it up again! Caraval is such a magical book, I love it <3. I hope you enjoy it! (and thank you! <3)

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.