Highlights Of April 2018


May 1, 2018


   April was a very busy month, compared to how quiet the rest of 2018 has been so far! (which is why this post is so late in coming, because my brain = tired) Want to hear about it?

Highlights of April 2018



life
Well, lots of book hauls going on (I have reached well past maximum capacity with my bookshelves, I really have), and a trip to the library to snag all the books I've been waiting for (Olivia Twist and All The Crooked Saints!) made this month rather bookish, but ANYways xD.

I also went to my amazing sister Skylar's orchestra concert, which was a ton of fun, I always love listening to her play her violin (she's a master <3), especially with her epic group. They all have so much fun together. And another of my sisters (Jaidyn) has been baking up a storm lately, so this was also a month of very tasty treats, because who says no to cake? 

I also got to meet up with a writing fren of mine today, and I had so much fun chatting with her about everything under the sun. It's always fun to meet up with another creative soul <3. 
the writing desk
Oh, my gracious y'all - the writing desk has been so full this month! Many new tales have begun to spin, and many all-established projects have been added onto. I haven't yet worked up the courage to write anything new in Forgotten yet ... but soon! Very soon ;). I'm working on writing up outlines to help with the expansion process.

ANYways. What new things am I working on, you ask? Well. I have a dark-ish mermaid novella that I'm currently working away at for a contest - it's being lots of fun and throwing more than one twist my way, so I'm having lots of fun discovering that story. I'm also writing a story set in the jungle for that same contest, and I'm excited to see where that one goes! (this contest has given me so many plot bunnies, you guys have no idea ;D)

And, as usual, I wrote multiple flash fiction pieces (one piece got published in Havok just this month!), I think I'm addicted to writing short pieces, you guys. How will I ever have the patience to write a full manuscript? ;D (seriously though, I struggle with how that's ever going to happen. Somehow I will push through!) 

Camp NaNoWriMo also happened this month, and I set my goal at 20k since I knew April would be busy - but somehow I hit 30k?? I was very surprised but very pleased ;D. Shout out to ALL the amazing people in my wonderful Mitchtam cabin for being wonderful and epic and encouraging - the final day of Camp was crazy, but we made it! (and to anyone else who won Camp this month - EPIC JOB, YOU GUYS. You rock <3)
bookishness

collage of april books

A reread of a series I liked as a kid (but somehow never finished?), a new-to-me indie book, a reread of one of my absolute FAVORITE fairytale retelling, and then three books I've been waiting for forever? Yeah, it was a good month for books, guys xD.

And I actually don't have terribly much to say about them this month, because I've either a) already shrieked about them so many times (*cough* Entwined *cough*) or b) I've already reviewed them (you can check out my review for October, if you'd like), or c) I have reviews coming! The reviews for The Story Peddler and The Traitor's Game will be going up in May. But for now I WILL say that I found a new favorite in The Story Peddler, and Jennifer Neilsen has kept up her streak of never ever disappointing me xD. I can't wait to tell y'all about it when I review them! <3  
posts

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/featured-author-april-cg-drews.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/featured-creator-april-alea-harper.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/welcome-to-inspiring-writes.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/farewell-to-scattered-scribblings.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/mini-book-reviews-octobers-secret-world.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/ask-author-april-edtion.html

http://savannahgracewrites.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-million-dreams.html

elsewhere online
- Julia Ryan released her second poetry book! Proud of you, girl <3.

- Rooglewood Press officially announced the winners of the Five Poisoned Apples writing contest. So happy to see familiar names on the list! (*waves to Skye*)

- Aimee Meester is posting a serial story on her blog (and Wattpad) called Their Blood Be Laid and GUYS. I AM IN LOVE. Aimee has the best eerie, gritty writing style (reminds me a bit of Maggie Stiefvater), and you guys need this story in your lives. Here's part one to get you started. And then go read the rest xD.

-  Rosalie Valentine posted about the story behind "Our Family", the piece of flash fiction that was published in Splickety, and it was a really cool post to read. Y'all should take a look at it. (she also celebrated her fifth blogoversary, so go give her some love!)

- A gorgeous post went up on Burning Youth entitled On Top Of The Mountain, and I loved it <3.

- Mary and Madeline and Mikayla all did the Get To Know Me Tag, Writer's Edition, which made me smile ;).

- Cait at Paperfury posted about Fictional Siblings and obviously I gobbled up that post because Fictional! Siblings! I love them and we never have enough of them <3.

- NADINE MET VERONICA ROTH and she's giving away signed copies of some of that lovely author's books! And the giveaway ends tomorrow, so you need to scamper on over there and get your entry in while you can!
ramblings to come
   Well (and this should probably be an announcement all its own, but here I am tacking it onto the end of this post), May is going to be Fairytale Retellings Month on Inspiring Writes, so I've got a couple of my usual posts planned (one very special interview in particular...and I'm not giving any hints!) but most of May's posts will be on how to write fairytale retellings. And it will be lots of fun! Retellings are my passion, so I'm super excited to talk retellings with you all in May! It's going to be a blast.

   Keeping being epic - I'll see you all in May!

~ Savannah Grace

did you write for Camp this month? 
what do you think of fairytale retellings?
        

18 comments :

  1. You read 11 Birthdays?! I remember reading that book as a kid! When I read it I couldn't put it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even a few years older, I still greatly enjoyed them. <3

      Delete
  2. A darkish mermaid novella sounds awesome! I hope it wins! Congrats on getting one of your pieces published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very muchly, Skye! I'll update y'all on how it goes ;).

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see those fairy tale retelling how-to posts! I've been interested in them ever since I read The Lunar Chronicles (a great series) But I’ve had absolutely no idea about how to go and write one. This is gonna be EPIC!

    And congrats on winning Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious, I'm so glad! Fairytale retellings are my absolute favorite, I'm really excited to chat about them with you guys <3. Ooh, really? You should give it a shot someday! Hopefully the blog series will be helpful to you ;).

      Aw, thanks! <3

      Delete
  4. It's like, I never heard of the Oath and Iron contest, then I stumble upon it, decide to enter, and now EVERYONE has heard of it and it entering. This is EPIC!!! It would be so cool to win the contest and have other writers I know also win. (Or it would be cool to not win, and yet still have folk I know win, let's be honest here...)

    I just heard about The Story Peddler. Looks great!!

    For a long time, I didn't know fairytale retellings were actually a thing. But now I'm getting into them, and I must say, I'm enjoying them!! Maybe not my writing genre, but definitely enjoyable and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gracious, SAME! It's so cool that you're entering it, too! I desperately hope that a bunch of us win and all get published together, that would be a DREAM <3 <3. Best of luck to you, my friend! I bet you'll do incredibly well *highfive*

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see how that Oath and Iron entry comes out ;) still gotta start work on mine....whoops. XD (The Pentegreen series is eating me alive...as is school...)

    ALL THE CROOKED SAAAAAAIIIIINTS!!!! Oh, I hope you enjoy it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to show you! (AND YOU CONQUER THAT PENTEGREEN SERIES - YOU GOT THIS, GIRL *highfive*)

      I'm uber-excited to finish reading it! And then I will probably spill all my thoughts about it to you ;D.

      Delete
  6. A dark-ish mermaid novel sounds EPIC.

    I'm glad you had a good April, here's to an amazing May!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya muchly, Gray! <3

      Same to you, girl! ^_^

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, you're a writing MACHINE. You inspire me, girl! That is thrilling you're entering another contest and doing so many fun things. A dark mermaid story? Um. YES PLEASE! Eep. I just love your story ideas! And congrats on hitting 30k on Camp!!!! Again I say: YOU ARE A WRITING MACHINE!

    ENTWIIIIINED. That is all.

    I'm so, so, soooo pumped about your fairytale month here. IT'S GONNA BE SO FUN!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, LAURI! You're the sweetest - and GIRL, YOU inspire ME! Seriously, you're such a talented writer and epic human being <3. I'm uber-excited to tell you guys how everything goes! *finger crossed*

      YES THAT BOOK <3 <3 <3.

      I can't wait for you to see the posts I have planned! It's gonna be a blast ;D

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the books by Wendy Mass! They're so so mindblowing and I LOVE THEM SO MUCH OMG.

    I love fairytale retellings! Looking forward to May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, she's an insanely talented author! Every Soul A Star is one of my favorite of her books, I always love to read that one in the summer. <3

      Delete
  9. YOU LIKED THE TRAITOR'S GAME!!! YAY!!! I can't wait for your review! :D

    Also fairy tale retelling posts???!!! GIVE ME THEM. Fairy tale retellings are my jam too, so I can't wait to hear all your thoughts and tips, AAAAAAHHHH.

    Sorry, I'm just so excited. XD

    Great post! The transition from Scattered Scribblings to Inspiring Writes has been super cool. Keep being awesome, Sav. <3

    Oh, and YAAAY FOR THAT CONTEST. I'm probably going to enter myself, hehe. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get to flail all about it! I ADORED THAT BOOK, MY WORD <3.

      Really?? That's SO EPIC! *fistbump* They're just such fun! I'm super excited for you to see the posts ^_^

      ENTER, ENTER! It would be so impossibly epic if we both got published in the same anthology, girl! I would be so excited, oh gracious. And THANK YOU for your sweet comment! You keep being awesome, too <3

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.