Monthly Highlights - March 2017


March 31, 2017


   So the last day of March (and the fact that I needed to do a highlights post) nearly passed me by because my mind is so full of all the things that need to be done before Camp NaNoWriMo that I still haven't done. But I shall survive, and you guys will still get a Monthly Highlights post.

   Let's do this thing. 

March 2017 Highlights Header


  
   So March was definitely a less busy month, as far as months go. I got a lot done - though, not much of it can go in the 'monthly highlights' section, because a lot of it had to deal with writing. Go figure ;). But some interesting things besides writing did happen in March ...   

   - Apparently I hit 90 followers this month (email and GFC)?! You guys are the best. <3

   - I won some books from participating in an Indie E-Con, and so I will have some beautiful little incentives to keep me writing during Camp NaNoWriMo. Or perhaps my idea of bribing myself to write with books will backfire and I'll end up in a corner reading while my wordcount suffers terribly. Who can tell *shrugs*.
 
   - I made more of a set-in-stone plan for what I'm going to do with Killing Snow this year, and I'm MADLY excited about it xD.

   - I realized that, out of all my 90+ books that I own, very few of them are dystopian and my current WIP (Killing Snow) is quite dystopian/sci-fi. This fact is sad. This fact needs to be fixed. Know of any good dystopian or sci-fi books, anyone? xD


   - I had an accidental NaNoWrimo. My wordgoal that I set for myself this month was 15k - and guess what? I hit 49,348 words (including the words I wrote in my incredibly-detailed story outline). I would have written those last few words to hit 50k, but I told myself that I would take a little break before Camp NaNoWriMo comes around, because I burn out fast xD. 
    Also, Killing Snow (my current WIP) was sort of slaying me slowly throughout the whole month. And (as the girls in my chat call me Sav) some of my friends wondered if it could have been better titled ...


   - I finished the outline for novel Killing Snow. It's incredibly detailed (for me, at least), and it's just over 6k words long. But now I have a path to follow when I rewrite Killing Snow into a novel, instead of traipsing around in the wilderness and getting hopelessly lost and probably killed. xD

   - I've been getting majorly attacked by plot bunnies. Why does this always happen to me right when I actually have a legit project that I need to get done?
   Some of said plot bunnies include; a retelling of the 100 Dresses (which probably won't get written, because its poor plot bunny is slowly dying, but you never know) and two books entitled 'All That Haunts' and 'Death Comes Early'. They want to be written, so I scribbled down the titles and one-sentence hooks for them in a document and immediately shoved it aside so that I don't get distracted during Camp NaNoWriMo.

   Okay, I should get onto sharing a snippet, otherwise more plot bunnies are going to wiggle their way into my brain. That won't be helpful. Moving on (basically unedited work, as usual - and I took out a name because #spoilers)...

A snippet from Killing Snow by Savannah Grace




   *cringes because those covers look terrible together* Three of those were actually schoolbooks (A Tale Of Two Cities, Animal Farm, and Pride And Prejudice) but I included them anyways because they're fiction books, so they kind of count. Anyways ...

   - A Branch Of Silver, A Branch Of Gold by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. Definitely the best book I read this month - and it was reread at that! But gracious do I love this thing. It's beautiful and strange and magical and all-around wonderful. Her writing style is unique and I LOVE it <3. Also, the characters are GOALS, each and every one of them. This is most definitely a book that I'll be rereading again (what is this phenomenon?!), so I give it a full five stars. 

   - Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen. Not a book I would have chosen to read (Emma was the first Jane Austen book that I tried to read, and I ended up being like 'uh ... nope' and putting it down because classic, older books and me almost never ever click. Sadly.) - but school decided that I should, so I did. Not the best, not the worst, but THE CHARACTERS (who's already guessed that that was what I was going to say?). Seriously, Jane Austen did an amazing job with her characters, I really admired that. So this book gets 3 1/2 stars.  


http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/writing-lessons-from-lord-of-rings.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/interview-with-authoress-anika-joy.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-tag-pool-in-which-i-catch-up.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/one-year-of-killing-snow.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/how-to-liven-up-your-secondary-character.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/projectcanvas-whats-your-writing-passion.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/03/book-review-princess-and-i-by-rebekah.html


- Literary agent Tessa Emily Hall was (is?) searching for new authors to represent. Sadly, I didn't fill the "finished novel" qualification xD. Someday soon!

- The lovely Mary Horton started a new blog! (this post is one of my favorites from it)

- More Burning Youth posts. Obviously. Like this. And this. *flails over the wonderfulness of BY*  (also this because it basically shares the title of a gorgeous song my sister wrote + composed and I kind of stared at it in shock for 1.7 minutes when it came through my Blogger feed)

- Morgan LuaAnn posted some of her favorite artwork and OH MY was I hit with all the story inspiration.

- Hannah White did a post about writing pitches that was incredibly helpful and that I badly needed xD.

- One of my favorite blogs in the blogosphere, Musing Of An Elf, celebrated its SIXTH YEAR of being a blog. This seems like an impossibly and wonderfully long time to be blogging to me :D. (also, Christine did a post about her epic character, the Dragon, from her Burning Thorns novel and I may or may not have squealed wildly over the whole post and I may or may not have failed to comment because #whereistime *smacks myself* xD)

- Deborah O' Carroll did one and two posts about how to read a Diana Wynne Jones book, and I LOVE them both to death and now desperately need to read another DWJ book (preferably Howl's Moving Castle, because it's my favorite <3).

- Audrey Caylin did a beautiful post entitled 'To My Fellow Dreamers'.

- Tracey Dyck graced us with some of her gorgeous writing and my only response is 'how is she this good'? xD

- Abbie did another music video and it is beautiful and GLORIOUS and I love it and all of you should go check it out *shoos you away*. 


   Well ... there won't be as many ramblings as usual, seeing as Camp NaNoWriMo is going to take over life for awhile. So there will probably only be three or four-ish posts in April, and I won't be bouncing around on the blogosphere so much (*cringes because I'm already behind when it comes to comments*). But at least I won't die :D.

   - How To Liven Up Your: Main Character is probably going to be coming. I think we have ... about four posts left in this series? That could change, but there it is.

   - A review of Jesseca Wheaton's A Question Of Honor, which looks like it's going to be AH-MAZING.

   So there's my March in a nutshell, and now I shall bid you adieu and race off to the land of insanity. Camp NaNoWriMo is upon us in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... 

~ Savannah Grace 

   How was your March? Do you have any suggestions for good dystopian/sci-fi books? What are your plans for April, writer-ly or otherwise?

43 comments :

  1. YOU PUT MY BLOG POST ON "ELSEWHERE ONLINE"!!!!! Savannah, that truly made my day!!! I am so glad you like Cheval's paintings as much as I do!! :D And good luck with your writing! You got this!! :D *hands you chocolate* Many blessings ~ Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, I'm so happy that that made you happy! :D Your post (and his paintings!) were lovely ;).

      Thank you, Morgan! And thanks for reading. <3

      Delete
  2. I am writing a short story called Robins. I'm super excited. xD
    Awww!!! I want MORE snippets! I swear, I'm gonna be the FIRST to read that book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUT I'VE GOT SISTER POINTS. xD I call dibs!!!!!
      -Ariel

      Delete
    2. Ooh, Robins is a great story title, I like it! And *cough* arielalreadyreadpartofthestory *cough* :D

      Delete
  3. Good luck on NaNo! Unfortunately, I don't read much dystopian (although I am starting the Hunger Games this week... *gulps*. That'll be new for me.
    I'm doing Camp, and hopefully it will be a major success! Good luck again! My birthday is also this month (unfortunately, it is on Easter again :( ) and hopefully I'll be getting some new books for that.
    Your snippets are so intriguing- I wants to read your stuffs now. Like, RIGHT NOW. Finish this book, Savannah! I MUST READ IT!
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Hunger Games - I love those books to death. They're DEFINITELY not everyone's cup of tea, but I've re-read that series so many times xD.

      You're doing Camp, too? Awesome! *all the highfives* Thank you - good luck to you, too ;). And happy (really early xD) birthday! I'll probably forget to wish you one on Easter, so might as well say it now xD.

      AWK, THANK YOU. <3 You're the best, Faith!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a pretty good month of writing and reading. I like to pretend I write and read a lot... =D
    Today for Camp Nano Wrimo I'm just hoping to read everything in my novella that I've written so far and then write a page or two. Camp Nano Wrimo sneeked up on me. For some reason I thought it started tomorrow. xD

    - Lilly Shyree (alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it definitely was a good month! And it's cool that you're doing Camp, too! Best of luck ;).

      Delete
  5. My March has been pretty good. I can't believe it is already APRIL!!!! UGH
    Hmmm...dystopian\sci-fi....Oh, oh...I have an idea!
    Ok, I'm weird, but you could do one about a girl from another land who is going to be Queen. But, there is a problem (of course), there is an assassin trying to kill her. He stalks her everywhere, and wears a mysterious, black cape. She seeks help from her stepfather (who says she's insane) and he tries to place her in an asylum.
    *I don't really write sci-fi or read a lot of it, but since you seem to like assassins, then here you go.*xD
    (Note to self: I don't think that's even sci-fi) *cackles*

    I'm gonna try to work more on my writing. Hopefully. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh, you wanted good suggestions for books to read. Oops. :\
      Well, if you any need ideas on a story to write, then you've got one. xD

      Delete
    2. Yup, book suggestions xD. But that's an AWESOME story idea! If you don't mind, I might actually use it sometime.

      I wish you all the luck in the word! I hope it goes well for you ;).

      Delete
    3. I don't mind at all! xD
      I'm not really into writing fiction..so...have at it!
      Thank you! *Hands you a huge Four Leaf Clover*

      Delete
  6. That's so funny that you should mention looking for dystopian books because I just finished a post of mini-reviews for dystopian books. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH, really?! Did you post it yet? *goes to check, because I really want to read it* ;)

      Delete
  7. I was so happy when I saw you'd posted!! Savannah words are always a highlight of the day. <3
    Sci-fi/dystopian. . . hmm. My favorite sci-fi STORY is probably Star Wars. I haven't found much dystopian I like (if Counted Worthy falls into that category, it'd probably be my favorite), and haven't had much luck with science fiction BOOKS. But I haven't tried very hard--pretty just The Firmament Series and The Space Trilogy. I would recommend The Firmament (did you finish those?) but they're not my favorite. The Space Trilogy. . . I dunno. I enjoyed the first two and there were some really neat things in the last one, but I didn't just love them. Much as I love Narnia, I'm not always happy with Lewis' other works. I felt like he got needlessly gross and mature in The Space Trilogy, which bothered me.
    My favorite sci-fi BOOK is probably a lovely little novella I read last year called "Killing Snow". ;) (winking at you because YOU WROTE IT, but don't take that smiley-face to mean I'm not serious)

    That snippet really FREAKED ME OUT though!! Will you e-mail me and tell me what name you edited out?? Please?? *puppy dog eyes* I'll look for snippets for you. . .

    AHH, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF A TALE OF TWO CITIES??? I LOVE that book!! <3 (If you didn't like, that's fine. *cough* I happen to be a little insane about Dickens. :))
    I TOTALLY understand about Emma! I read the whole thing, but it was a tough read! Have you seen any Jane Austen movies? I would recommend the Hollywood Emma and the BBC Pride and Prejudice. I usually prefer books, but the Jane Austen movies are well done and the books can feel a little dry, so I think I prefer those movies (much as I LOVED reading P&P!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're the best, friend! <3

      Ooh, yes - Counted Worthy is AMAZING, I love that book. And I read the first two Firmament books, but never got around to the last one. Maybe I should do that ;). (and OH MY WORD, YOU'RE THE BEST, GIRL. What even am I to do with all the niceness? xD *hugs you*)

      Oh, whoops - emailed you before I remembered to tell you the name. Oh well, if you can email back and guess correctly, I might tell you ;).

      WELL, I was fairly lost for a good portion of the book, but the characters (and the ENDING!) was AMAZING. And no, I haven't watched any Jane Austen movies, but maybe I'd like them better than the books - I think I'll try the Sense And Sensibility book next though, seeing as people say that it's pretty good ;).

      Delete
  8. Best of luck with Nano! My only plan for April is to write a novel...
    -Gray Marie
    graymariecox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gray - and best of luck to you, as well!

      Delete
  9. How was your March?: It was quite good, thank you! I failed writing-wise, but I read twelve books, which I'm insanely proud of. XD
    Do you have any suggestions for good dystopian/sci-fi books?: Mine? :P Just kidding! Well, the obvious dystopian ones are Divergent and The Hunger Games... The Ender's Game is very sci-fi (so I've heard).
    What are your plans for April, writer-ly or otherwise?: I plan to write 17.5K words for a novel I will discontinue after Camp (hopefully???), write a poem a day, and brainstorm more ideas for my newest story idea.

    I really enjoyed your recap post! Love your snippet -- it's so well written! And WOW! 49K in a month is a lot! Congrats to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWELVE BOOKS, oh wow - good job! Did you have a favorite?

      You write dystopian? That's so cool! *highfive* I might have to try Ender's Game some point soon - I've had people tell me that it's good.

      I hope you have the best of luck with your April plans, May! Writing is so much fun ;). And thank you, I'm glad you liked the snippet! :D

      Delete
  10. Almost 50,000 words? TOTALLY amazing! :D You should post some more snippets of Killing Snow after Camp Nanowrimo!! I need to read this book, Savannah. PLEASE. XD

    I feel you. Plot bunnies tend to strike when you actually have something specific you're planning to do. It happens to me a lot... XD

    I've reeeeallly been wanting to read A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold!! It looks soooo good, and I love her Tales of Goldstone Wood series. :)

    Good luck to you in your Camp NaNo pursuits! You'll do awesome, I know it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP, I'm so glad that you want to read Killing Snow! <3 I'll probably be able to get some more posted sometime in May ;).

      A Branch Of Silver, A Branch Of Gold does have a feel that is a little different from Tales Of Goldstone Wood, but I LOVE IT SO MUCH, good gracious. So YES you should read it :D.

      Thank you! I'm excited to see how it goes ;).

      Delete
  11. Savannah, my online party begins in one hour so feel free to stop by for a few minutes. ;)
    http://teenwritersparty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I wish I had been able to attend, but I got there a little too late :(. I'm glad y'all had fun, though!

      Delete
  12. I have started a new book (I know, TOO MUCH plot bunnies). It is one of those First Person journal things.... lol. It's doing great, so far! Seriously tho, I just started like.... twenty minutes ago, and I have the whole plot planned-out and have written three pages... lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've got a new idea that you're excited about! I LOVE IT when plot bunnies appear, and I actually want to (and have the time to!) write about them :D. Best of luck!

      Delete
  13. Ahhhh you wrote so much this month! O.O HOW EVEN, YOU WRITING GENIUS. *alllll the congratulatory pizza*

    I'm super pumped over here for Camp NaNoWriMo, especially since my story is getting out of the slow digs of the first... um... 50k (xD) and is progressing into the epic action and plot twists.

    YOU HAVE SO MANY AMAZING PLANS. Way to get out there and DO THE THINGS, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *devours the celebratory pizza* Haha, I have no idea how 49k happened xD.

      THANK YOU, friend! And you're doing AWESOME with your goal so far - I wish you the best of luck in reaching it! <3

      Delete
  14. *flails because KILLING SNOW and READING PERCY JACKSON and AHHHH*

    Dude, you are a boss *blinks* almost 50k words?? SO IMPRESSED. I wrote (well, edited) about 10k *sheepish grin* Let's see if I can hit 50k this month ... *is doubtful but THAT'S WHAT NANO IS ALL ABOUT, EH?*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails with you because OH MY you're the nicest thing and YES Precy Jackson*

      Ahem, but editing is about 100% harder than just clacking out words xD. SO YOU GET AWESOMENESS POINTS FOR THAT. Best of luck with NaNo!

      Delete
  15. I remember liking Tale of Two Cities. Pride and Prejudice was well written, but not my favourite.
    I still need to read A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold. Desperately!

    Once again, fantastic snippet!

    Hope you have an awesome and productive Camp NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! :D A Branch Of Silver, A Branch Of Gold was my favorite read this month by far.

      Thank you so much! I'm hoping to be able to share some of my work from NaNo in May ;).

      Delete
  16. How do you accidentally NaNo?? I haven't written seriously since November! (and even that was... not so dedicated.) What's your target for April?

    (And Artemis Fowl is so good! *thinks about what I just said* ...so bad? Brilliantly bad? I enjoy Eoin Colfer's writing style so much, anyway.)

    For Camp, I wish you lots of living and relevant plot bunnies doing what they're told! And an extra plot dragon, for spare. (please take her, she's chewing my shoes) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even knoooow xD. My target for April was (and I definitely flaunted it to be) 75k - but I changed it to 50k because I was getting so stressed out. So 50k it is!

      Brilliantly bad, oh yes! Eoin Colfer is a genius. *highfives fellow Artemis Fowl fan*

      *snatches up the dragon and replaces your shoes* xD Thanks, Jem! I'm hoping for relevant plot bunnies, too - but since when have plot bunnies done what they're told? :D Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  17. YOU WROTE 49K WORDS IN MARCH??????? SAVANNAH. YOU ARE A WRITING NINJA!!!!! Oh my goodness, you are amaziiiiiing!!!!!!! I'm so sorry Killing Snow is killing Sav (XD) but it's exciting you have an outline for it. I'm so in awe of how dedicated you are to this thing! AND I LOVE THE SNIPPET. GAH. This story just sounds so epic!

    Ah, the plot bunnies. They do so love to attack when we have other projects we must be working on. >.> (But I want to know more about these plot bunnies of yours, they sound epic. o.o)

    I NEED A BRANCH OF SILVER, A BRANCH OF GOLD SO DESPERATELY. *flails* MUST. HAVE. SOON.

    Aaaahhhhh, Savannah! You linked to my blog and said the nicest thiiiings. GIRL. I just don't even know what to do with your sweetness! *TACKLE-GLOMPS* (But don't even worry about comments! I mean, LIFE IS BUSY. AND you've been accidentally doing NaNo. o.o You've got a lot going on, girl! Blog comments are not number one priority.)

    I hope Camp is absolutely magical for you and your April is amazing!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I DO have my secret little dragon-muse to help me. He types the words for me when I'm too busy, and then I have to come back and fix what he wreaked xD. And THANK YOU, Lauri! Even if it's killing me, I'm still excited about this thing :P.

      Maybe I'll spill and let you guys know about that at some point or another - unless, of course, the plot decides to go and die on me. That happens sometimes xD.

      YES, YES - OOH, I think you would love it! It seems like something you would enjoy ;).

      *TACKLE-GLOMPS YOU BACK* xD Seriously though, your post about the Dragon was THE BEST, I LOVED IT. <3 <3 <3

      Thank you, friend! I hope your April is amazing as well ;).

      Delete
  18. Hey, Savannah. I know this isn't related to this post but I've been trying to make my picture's borders to be transparent. Even though I try to change it in the settings, it doesn't seem to change it. I noticed that the pictures in your blog have noborder. Do you mind telling me how you do it?

    Thanks,
    Lilly Shyree (alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind if you ask questions unrelated to the post - and I'm happy to help! Problem is ... I seem to have forgotten how I did it? But I'll figure it out and get back to you as soon as I can ;).

      Delete
    2. Haha. Ok, no problem. I'm experimenting with blogs and things because I would really like to be a blog designer. ;)

      Delete
  19. I love your blog, Savannah! <3 However, I am not very writer-ly or reaader-ly. I read some educational books, and mystery/midwifery/missionary books, but not much else. I'm more of a crafty-like and action person! Nonetheless, I love your blog! You are so gorgeous! <333
    I hope that all goes super awesome with Nano-wrimo and you are successful with your novel! I love the title, "Killing Snow"!!!

    All for Him,
    Paige Lavay <<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you - you're so sweet <3. And I'm glad that you enjoy my blog, even if you're not a terribly writer-ly or reader-ly ;). It's cool that you're a crafty person! I'm definitely not, so I'm always in awe of people who can make the coolest things with just some craft supplies :D.

      Thanks for the comment, Paige Lavay!

      Delete
  20. I am so incredibly late to this post (*hides in shame*), but girl, March sounds like it was quite a productive month! AND 49K?!?! Teach me your ways, O wordsmith!

    Pride & Prejudice. (*nods*) I agree with all of the above. Emma was my first Austen novel, too, and... nope. I rated Pride & Prejudice about three-ish stars, too. XD

    BTW, I don't know if I've said this, before, but YOUR MONTHLY WRAP-UP POSTS ARE SO AWESOME. They're so orderly and pretty and lovely and I am just a huge fan! :D

    ~Liv
    livkfisher.blogspot.com

    P.S. That's super cool that your sister was featured on Burning Youth!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.