Writing Lessons From: Lord Of The Rings


March 26, 2017


   So my lovely friend Ellen (whom I know in real life, so she is an awesome bean) emailed me to remind me that March 25th is a big day in the realm of Middle Earth and, being a fan, she said that I should do a post. (and look! ... I managed to be a day late. Go figure)

   Which resulted in me doing battle with my goldfish brain, because I wanted to post! but ... it normally takes a few days of brainstorming to come up with anything coherent.

   But we're changing up the rules. *insert very last-minute post that I scrambled to put together* Have fun with this, y'all - and do go read the posts that my friends Ellen and Hanna did about Hobbits ;).    


1. Worldbuilding


via Google Images
Who can talk about Lord Of The Rings without talking about worldbuilding? (not me, apparently) Worldbuilding is not my strong suit - all of my story-scenery gets stuck in my head and refuses to drift down onto paper - so I'm especially in awe of the massive world that Tolkien created.
   Rohan, Mordor, the Shire, Gondor - not only are they all extremely different, ranging from volcanic terrain to bright green meadows, but they each have their own "feel" as well. The Shire is laid back and calm, and everyone is friends with everyone, while Gondor is more of what you would expect a medieval city to be like. I can barely get one extremely small area of my story-world to work itself out, so there's a lot that can be learned from the world of Middle Earth.
   Does your characters travel over many different terrains in your storyworld? Try to give every area a different look and feel. 

2. Fully-Crafted Languages 

   I can't be the only Tolkien fan who has learned a bit of the Sindarin language, can I be? (im agor hartha al) I can't really speak it (pfft, I can barely speak English, I fumble with words so much), but I can write it, and it's a lot of fun ;). Tolkien created an entire language for not only elves - they have both the Quenya and the Sindarin language - but he created a language for the dwarves, as well!
   This added a whole new level of creativity to his stories - and a whole new level of "addicted" for us fans to reach ;).
   Does your novel have people that speak in a language you made up? Make sure to create it fully enough that it can pass off as a well-crafted language.   

3. Likable Characters

via Google Images
   As if I haven't talked enough about characters from Lord Of The Rings in my character building series already xD. So I'll keep this point short - Tolkien managed to make each and every one of his (good) characters likeable. We love Sam for his loyalty, Frodo for his courage, Merry for his determination, and Pippin for his lighthearted-ness. And that's only the Hobbits! Not to mention Aragorn, Arwen, Legolas ... *refrains from going on*
   Everyone who has read Lord Of The Rings has a favorite character (or at least a favorite three characters) - but you could basically point out any character for me, and I could say that I love them. Because not only are the characters easy to get attached to, they're incredibly fully fleshed-out as well. And that's very important to this character-oriented girl ;).
   Does your novel have a big cast of characters? Try to pick a specific quality for each of them that will make them especially lovable - loyalty, courage, determination, sweetness, loopy-ness (everyone loves a character that's a little off their rocker), mostly anything goes when it comes to creating likeable characters!   

4. Tolkien Created Cliches


 created a lot of cliches. If you sent characters off on a quest that has anything to do with a powerful ring, I'm guessing a lot of people would think that you were either retelling or copying Lord Of The Rings.
  If Tolkien's trilogy had been created now, it would definitely be tagged as cliche, but back then? No one had written anything like this - Tolkien
   But what does this mean for us? Well, Tolkien is considered one of the masters of storytelling - and he certainly went out on a limb when he wrote his stories. Nothing had been done like this before! And that should inspire us to never decide not to write something because we think it is too different, too weird, too strange. Going out on a limb is what got Tolkien to where he is.
  What incredibly different aspects does your story have? Never be afraid to add something in that seems crazy - because maybe it will be your best choice ever, and maybe you'll create the next cliche.     
   
   There's a million and one things that we could learn from the Lord Of The Rings trilogy - It's definitely on my list of books that I will continue to re-read, and it's definitely on my list of movies that I'll continue to re-watch. (and this post is definitely on my list of last-minute things *cough* xD)

~ Savannah Grace 

   Have you ever read Lord Of The Rings before? What are some of the writing lessons that you have learned through it? Have you ever created a language for one of your stories?

40 comments :

  1. I may have screamed internally when I saw MY SAVANNAH DID A LOTR POST!!!!!!! Because LotR = LIFE. This was spectacular! I was just nodding along to every. single. point. Tolkien is the master of...everything!

    I feel the EXACT same way about worldbuilding. It is not my strong suit AT ALL, and I'm just soooo amazed at Tolkien's ability to make such a ridiculously huge world, with an insane amount of history and LANGUAGES and such diverse settings and races and just HOOOOW???? Then of course his characters are the best ever. Yes, yes, yes! <333

    "...and a whole new level of "addicted" for us fans to reach." It's so true! XDDD I think I was around 17 and 18 when I was totally obsessed with learning Sindarin. I hardly remember any of it now, but back in the day I could almost understand them in the movies when they spoke it without reading the subtitles. XD #Nerd

    I love how you said Tolkien CREATED cliches. :O That's so true!!! And very inspiring to think about! We should never, ever worry about writing something too different, because, like you said, it could be the new cliche! What an awesome thought.

    This whole post was just the best! And it didn't look last minute or thrown together at all. o.o It's wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with us! Tolkien fans UNITE. *fistpump*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gracious, yes! I've watched the movies so much, and re-read the series multiple times. And yet each go-through (with the books, anyways - I think I've memorized the movies xD) I find something new!

      Like, Tolkien literally got so deep into his book's storyworld that he wrote history for it. I am in awe. I do not understand this amazingness xD.

      *promptly crowns you elf queen* That is EPIC - I kind of want to try to learn it that well now ;).

      YES, we shall overtake the world! *fistbump* xD Thank you for reading this, Lauri! Glad you enjoyed it. <3

      Delete
    2. Randomly shoving into your conversation, but I must know: WHERE DO YOU LEARN ELVISH?? I want to learn it, but I'm not sure where to start!

      Delete
  2. YAY!! You posted! I loved this!
    "And that should inspire us to never decide not to write something because we think it is too different, too weird, too strange. Going out on a limb is what got Tolkien to where he is." Wow. Definitely something to think about. All the cliches had to start SOMEWHERE. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAVANNAH, GUESS WHAT?! I watched Pete's Dragon last night!! While it's not necessarily my favorite movie, it was very good and I so much enjoyed it! If Gavin and Jack had hugged each other before the end, I would be completely satisfied. =) Thank you for recommending it though, I'm glad I finally got to see it!

      Delete
    2. Aww, yea- if they would've been friends sooner in the movie, that would've been nice...... ;)
      I AM SO GLAD YOU WATCHED IT!!!!! =D Did any of your other siblings watch it??
      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
    3. Becca watched it with me. Our younger three kids didn't watch it, which I think was good, as it was pretty scary in places (for a kid's movie).

      Delete
    4. Yeah, it randomly occurred to me that cliches actually have to start somewhere . And then I pondered over where certain cliches started from (the 'antagonist is the parent of the protagonist' cliche started with Darth Vader and Luke, for instance.). Maybe I should post about that sometime ...

      YOU DID?! *highfive* I loved the character building in that movie so much. Also Elliot. He was adorable xD. I'll have to email you so we can talk about it!

      Delete
    5. Aw, yes, definitely do!
      I just e-mailed you back with my thoughts on Eragon. I sincerely hope I didn't sound preachy, that my NOT my intent! You're not the only one who goes into lecture mode. ;) But your lectures are always really helpful writer-ly critiques, so. . .
      I'm using the excuse that you did ASK. :)

      Delete
  3. THIS POST IS SO GOOD!!

    I love how it's both LORD OF THE RINGS (which is fantastic) and writing stuff. It's perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Evangeline! Glad you enjoyed this :D.

      Delete
  4. Lord of the Ringssss. *hugs book* I LOVE Tolkien so so much.
    I'm only disappointed in the fact that I missed this day. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pets my beautiful copies of LotR* Agreed!
      I TOTALLY would have as well, if I hadn't been reminded. I have the brain of a goldfish 56% of the time, haha xD.

      Delete
  5. AAAHHH TOLKIEN!!! I LOVE his worlds that he built. It all feels so real with the history behind the cultures, the languages, EVERYTHING. And the characters, OH THE CHARACTERS. *hugs alllll the characters* Great post!

    I've watched all the LOTR movies, but only read the first two books. *hides face* I still need to read The Return of the King...

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle Earth is GOALS, I dearly hope that my worlds can be that well-crafted at some point or another :D. And, oh gracious - *shoos you away to find a copy of Return Of The King* - you NEED to read it! I love that series so much <3 <3. Have you read The Hobbit?

      Delete
  6. Tolkien's world building is on point (can we PLEASE have a Hobbit meal day?). WE SHALL PLAN IT AND IT SHALL BE EPIC.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH THAT SHOULD BE A THING. We should create a national Hobbit Meal Day xD. IT WOULD BE EPIC *highfive*.

      Delete
  7. Lord of the Rings!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Thank you SO much for posting this, I am so happy now! :D
    -Gray Marie
    graymariewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome! Glad I could bring some sparkle to your day ;).

      Delete
  8. LORD OF THE RIIIIIINGS!!

    And yes, I totally LOVE all of Tolkien's characters!! He somehow manages to make them all likeable in their own way. (I even, kinda, secretly love Gollum. Yeah... XD)

    Thank you so much for sharing this post!! Lord of the Rings always brightens my day. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA I think half of the commenters started their comment with "LORD OF THE RIIIIINGS!!' xD.

      And I totally agree about the characters. I'm SO picky about characters, but I LOVE Tolkien's. The movie versions of the characters might have helped some, though :D.

      Thank you for reading, Madeline! LotR is the best ;).

      Delete
  9. Lord of the Rings!!!!!!! Yay! It's the BEST!
    I know what you mean. There are so many awesome characters! You can't just pick ONE!!! I love Sam and Frodo and Aragorn and Pippin....... The list goes on and on...
    I don't have any new languages in my book - YET. I do have several DRASTICALLY different regions that I have invented, though.... xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so! I love Lord Of The Rings ;).
      Ooh, you've created different regions? That's so cool! I'd love to write a story with a bunch of different regions sometimes soon ;).

      Delete
    2. It's the BESTEST!!! Ever. xD
      Yeppers! There are a lot, but not so much that you can't keep track of them all. They get revealed throughout the book.... :) *hops around excitedly*

      Delete
  10. I love Lord of the Rings so much!!!!!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who constantly uses Tolkien and his characters as examples for my blog posts xD I have read the book twice fully through and plan on rereading many more times. I don't know how many times I've seen the movies--I've lost count! I also learned the Elvish language (mostly I just learned the alphabet, so the only thing I can do with it is write in it). There are soooo many writing lessons I've learned from it. Wordbuilding definitely tops the list. Another interesting one that I've never really heard mentioned before is a technique. There were a couple of times in the book where all the characters were blindfolded, and I noticed that since the sense of sight was hindered, there was a lot of great multisensory description. So I think I've tried blindfolding my characters before, just in order to write description better. It's pretty cool. And now I'd better stop, because I'll just keep going on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! I was hoping my Tolkien references wouldn't get monotonous, but since you guys like them ... ;).

      Yeah, I learned the Sindarin alphabet with my sister, so we were able to write secret messages to each other - but it's been awhile, and I've forgotten half of it. I need to go re-learn it, because I miss writing elven letters :D.

      Ooh, I didn't even think of the technique! Thank you so much for mentioning that - I'll have to pay more attention to that in my next re-read!

      Delete
  11. AHHH LOTR!!!!!!! Yes to everything!!! I just love it so, so much!!! <3 That's right! The 25th is the day the ring got destroyed! I forgot to celebrate. O well, I very much enjoyed this post, Savannah!! Anything that has to do with my favorite fandom is just...all the hearts. <3 <3 Yes, I to will continue to re-watch the movies(many, many times) and read the books. I love them to pieces. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gracious - I would have forgotten too, if I hadn't been reminded! But I'm glad I was, so that I could share this with you guys ;).

      I'm glad you liked this, Morgan! Thank you so much for reading - I love chatting with all of my fellow Lord Of The Rings fans! <3

      Delete
  12. AAAAH I NEED TO READ THEM AGAIN (I just realized how many other people started their comments with "aaah" xD). I read them back when I was like barely 12 and I DON'T KNOW WHY I NEVER READ THEM AGAIN. *glares at the movies* I want to read them before fall.

    Oh, yes, languages. When I was little, I used to try and come up with them for my stories. They usually consisted of random slashes and strokes of the pen that meant nothing xD For my current novels, I like to add a bit of latin. Just because it's a dead language and I know a little *shrugs*

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, so do I (and yes, a lot of people started their comments with screaming :D)! It's been too long since I did a full re-read of that series.

      Ooh, Latin - that's so cool! I've always wanted to try and use just a little Latin in my stories, but I've never had the right opportunity to. I'm excited to someday read one of your stories!

      Delete
  13. well done on this post, Savannah!
    There's so much that someone can get out of LOTR, it's incredible.
    I once tried inventing a language. I ended up thinking 'Bah! never-mind!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blue! And there most definitely is - I love trying to find out all the little tricks Tolkien used to make his stories great.

      Haha, that's probably what I would end up thinking xD. But maybe I'll still try it someday ;). Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  14. YAY YAY FOR LORD OF THE RINGS!!! Great post, girl! (btw, how is this last minute? My last minute post would be a five paragraph jumble of incoherentness...I DON'T UNDERSTAND. TEACH ME YOUR WONDERFUL SECRETS.) Also...you sorta went out on a limb with Killing Snow. And just wanna say I really like where you're at. <3 *whispers* Other than the fact that I haven't been getting to read as many Savvy words as I want to lately... *hinthint* xD
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARIEL! That about Killing Snow. . . I hadn't thought of that! So much yes!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, gracious - you heard me going around the house saying I didn't know what to do, so you can attest to the last minute nature of this post xD. But YOU'RE THE BEST, girl!

      *grins madly* Thank you both so much! <3 <3 <3 (and Ariel - you'll get to read more after Camp NaNo is over, haha ;))

      Delete
    3. Wait, do *I* get to read more after Camp NaNo?? *best puppy dog face*
      *is jealous that Ariel always gets sister points* =)

      Delete
  15. Love it, Savan!!!!! So awesome!!!!
    Thanks for participating!!!! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I'm so glad you reminded me about March 25th - even if I didn't get it posted on time xD.
      You're welcome! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  16. I just finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time today! So goooood. He was such a genius. And I love the point about cliches. Like, he INVENTED so many of them. Cause he stepped out and tried something new and EVERYONE LOVED IT. So much can be learned from him. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You DID?! *all the highfives* Good for you! Maybe you'll do a post with your thoughts on it sometimes? I'd love to read that ;).
      And I'm SO in awe of the cliches he created with one series. I'm excited to try to create cliches of my own someday :D. Thanks for reading, Hannah! <3

      Delete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.