One Year Of Killing Snow


March 11, 2017


   I would say something along the lines of 'wow, has it really been a year since I started Killing Snow? I can hardly believe it!' but ... yeah, I can believe it. All the ink stains on my hands, twenty full documents, and scribbled-in notebooks attest to it.

   My friend Rachael Steele (who was also the alpha reader for novella Killing Snow, so obviously she's awesome) created a linkup of sorts for Camp NaNoWriMo prep, and just in time to save you guys from me randomly rambling about how this book is killing me. Now you get a fairly put-together post all about Killing Snow - which I am, in fact, writing for Camp in April. I'll be using some of Rach's questions, making up some of my own, and throwing snippets to you at random intervals

   Honestly, it's confusing. Killing Snow is currently a fifth-draft novella that will be turned into a first-draft novel during Camp NaNoWrimo. Go ahead and try to wrap your head around that. Or just enjoy the post xD. I'll be using some of Rach's questions (and inserting two of my own), and throwing snippets to you at the end (consider it your reward for making it through this massive post). Let's see how this goes ... 

One Year Of Killing Snow

What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea? 

   Seems I've had the idea for a year! And the way I got inspired for this idea is only as interesting as saying 'I had the idea', but I'll share it anyways. I wrote my first retelling in 2015 (for the Rooglewood writing contest), and learned that I loved them. So I went on a random kick of writing down ideas for different retellings - I had whole pages in my diary dedicated to think of multiple ideas for retellings. This one wouldn't let go. I'd give you the raw brainstorming, but it's full of spoilers and terribly choppy to read. Anyways, all that being said, I've been writing for six years and Killing Snow is the only story that I've worked this hard on. 

1. What is the genre/setting/world like?

   Killing Snow is YA sci-fi dystopian - and the whole story takes place in a flying city. Basically, it's a massive (think twenty-mile radius) airship that has been turned into a city. Technically you could say it takes place in our world, but it's more in outer space. If a city can fly to the stars, then why not?  

2. What is the plot about?

   An evil Snow White and her seven assassins. A girl who wants to see home again. Sarcasm. Guns and daggers. An airship that's also a city. A forbidden Library and a gated Palace. Secrets and friendships. Forgiveness - of self and others. Labyrinth alleyways and a city in shambles. 

   You can see a little more about it on my Writings page ;). 

3. Who is the main character, and who is the supporting cast?

   The main character is Raven Gale, who never meant to be living her life the way she is. All she wants to do is go home and see her brother again. And then there's the supporting cast - Elyse Marie Grace, a peppy optimist who has no problem believing that 'the sun will come out tomorrow'. Fagin Tarrok, who's like a father to Elyse and Raven. Cerulean Kane, who definitely knows more than he's saying. Snow White, whom many call insane - but only in whispers. And there are a lot of others that I can't tell you about right now. But I can show you a picture, no? ;)   

Collage of character pictures for Killing Snow, by Savannah Grace

4. What are you most excited about in this story?

   The characters. I'm always the most excited about characters. But I'm having fun with the plot, too. Kind of. Honestly, the plot been really annoying and I don't know where it wants to go anymore - so I'm trying to untangle it while keeping my lovely characters from killing each other, while praying that it will somehow turn out in the end. Because I'm kind of hating the thing right now and it all feels very flat and boring and pointless to me *rant over*. I'm sure I'll love it again once I'm not killing myself to write a thousand words of it a day xD. 

5. Tell us about your OTP/Friendship in the story!

   Uh, OTP? I don't think I have one (though that could end up changing at some point in the novel. What can I say - my characters change the story however they want to) Friendships are definitely there though - probably my favorite being between Elyse (dubbed the optimist by her friend) and Raven (a self-proclaimed realist). They're lots of fun. Sometimes they annoy each other, but they're practically as close as sisters. 

6. What is the theme or point of the story?

   Not telling, and not telling. But one of the themes is forgiveness (lets say that one of the characters has a tough past), but I don't think it's prominent enough to count is as the book's "theme". I'm terrible at theme, so that's definitely something that still needs to be worked on.

7. Post some pictures from your storyboard!


   Oh, dear me. Well, you asked for it ...

A storyboard collage for Killing Snow, by Savannah Grace

   I tried to limit myself, so you're only getting eleven pictures out of many xD.

8. Do you have a cover for your book, or main picture?

   Alea Harper made the most amazing mock cover in all the universes for Killing Snow, and I love it to death. It always inspires me to write more of my story, even when I feel like throwing it in a blazing fire and watching it burn to ashes (... like right about now ...).

Mock cover for Killing Snow (by Savannah Grace) created by Alea Harper

   So, what are you going to do with your novel from here?

   I could ramble on for ages about what I have planned to come for this story - but I literally wrote out a month by month plan for it, so I'll just give you that organized little thing, no? It's very subject to change - seeing as this could take longer than I suppose - but then, everything I told you about in this post is very subject to change xD.

March: finish writing some scenes for the novel
April: finish the scenes that still need writing, then piece together the first draft over the rest of the month
May: take a short break, then edits
June: send to alpha(s)
July: receive info from alpha(s) and work on editing that
August: send to betas
September (or October): receive info from betas and work on editing that
October (or November): last brush up, then send to an editor

   ... so there's that. Definitely subject to change, but I hope to have everything completely finished up by January 1st, 2018 ;).

Okay - we made it through the post. Give us snippets. 

    Gracious, fine! None of them are really edited (these are bits for the novel), but I'll let you take a peek anyways.

Snippet from Killing Snow, by Savannah Grace

Snippet from Killing Snow, by Savannah Grace

Snippet from Killing Snow, by Savannah Grace

   ALSO - the first draft of the novella (not the novel - like I said, that's going to get written in April) is only partially edited (and most of it will probably be scrapped during the novel rewrite) ... but if you want to read the first chapter of that, here it is ;). 

~ Savannah Grace

   So, there's your peek at Killing Snow - what do you think? Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo this April (what's your username? I'd love to stalk your stats!)? What novel are you working on?

45 comments :

  1. OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW OMW SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS SO AMAZING LIKE ASKDIADADS!!!! WHAT EVEN. Those snippets sounded like they came from an already published book, loved by famous writers!!
    This post was A-MAZING and yeesh, I can't believe it's been a year!
    You've worked hard, but it TOTALLY paid off. =)
    <3 U!
    Jaidyn Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree-very much paid off. I know it's hard work, Savan, but you're blessing people.

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU, Jaidyn (and Hanna!)! I'm hoping that Killing Snow WILL be a published, well-loved book sometime in the near future ;).

      Yes, a year full of aching fingers xD. But I'm really excited to see where it goes from here! Thanks for reading ;).

      Delete
  2. Okay this sounds AMAZING. Everything -- the characters, the idea, just GAH. Flying city? #YES. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! Your comment made me grin :D.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness I love your novel! Also, if you ever need a beta reader (I'm sure I've already said this before, but whatever, we'll ignore that) SIGN ME UP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evangeline! And OH GRACIOUS, you're the nicest! <3 *will absolutely sign you up* xD

      Delete
  4. The plot certainly catches my attention, and Alea did an amazing job with the cover!

    Airship cities are always cool! I'm hoping to include some in future stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blue! I was super happy to see what Alea had done with it ;).

      Ooh, do! The only book that I've read with a flying city in it was Illusionarium by Heather Dixon (unless my brain is failing me) and it was tons of fun.

      Delete
  5. Wow, it must be pretty surreal to think that it's been a year since you started Killing Snow! Stories really can find such special places in our hearts. <3

    Yes, yes, I am doing Camp! (http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/emily-joy-drown) I am still continuing my 2016 NaNoWriMo novel because... *cough*... I may have only written 5k since November. :/ I need some serious motivation as I sort out this monstrous mess of a story while I first draft it. I'm so excited, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a little surreal - but also, there's a lot of 'whoa, has it already been a year? This story is moving like a SLOTH' xD. But I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

      Ooh, awesome! I'll be stalking your stats ;). It's so cool that you're continuing your NaNoWriMo novel! I wrote part of Killing Snow during July's Camp last year, and that was a ton of fun.

      WE'VE GOT THIS *highfive*.

      Delete
  6. What do I think? I think that I love this story insanely much, and I'm on pins and needles until I can read the novel. THOSE SNIPPETS!! I'm still shivering.
    "Sarcasm. Guns and daggers. An airship that's also a city. A forbidden Library and a gated Palace. Secrets and friendships. Forgiveness - of self and others." I want to cry all over again, just reading this!! You described your story SO tremendously!!
    Forgiveness could count as a theme! Or maybe I'm just slightly obsessed with this character with his rough past. SLIGHTLY. *cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest, friend - I'm so glad that you like Killing Snow! <3

      Ooh, really? I was hoping that I did, but it's awfully hard to describe a story in only a few sentences. It was surprisingly fun, though :D.

      Don't I know it ;). I can't wait until you're able to read the novel Killing Snow!

      Delete
  7. AAAAAAAH. CONGRATULATIONS. The feeling of working on a novel for a year is amazing. You're like "What? it's only been one year?" xD

    I love your plan! I'm working on something like that right now for Found (I'm posting it all next Saturday, actually :P). I'm super excited for Camp too -- it's my first time!

    Oh, and I'd love to be in your cabin! Thanks so much for asking! :D Here's my link: http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/audrey-caylin

    Love this <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Audrey! I've been writing for six years, and yet the story I've worked on most is the one I found in my later years of writing. Very odd of me xD.

      Ooh, I can't wait to see! I LOVE reading other people's writing plans - no idea why, but it's lots of fun!

      Glad you could join us ;).

      Delete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KILLING SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! And GIRL. I am so in awe of you managing 5 WHOLE DRAFTS of the novella in just a year. O_________O I'm proud if I get ONE draft of something done in a year's time. YOU ARE SO DEDICATED.

    Okay, I've probably said it before but KILLING SNOW SOUNDS SO AMAZING. I mean, A FLYING CITY?????? I have this weird obsession about a story set in a city the characters can't leave. (I mean, your characters may be able to leave...? But it's still a closed in city anyway I assume.) It's odd, I know. But it's FUN. One time I wrote a dystopian about a city basically inside this impenetrable cube just because I loved the idea of unleavable cities. I DON'T KNOW. But all that to say, I LOVE stories set in cities, and dystopian, rundown cities at that, so...like...I JUST LOVE THIS STORY. Plus it's a RETELLING. Which is my favorite thing of ever! I soooo relate to your constant jotting down of retelling ideas. I DO THAT TOO. I keep notes on my phone because I've been getting retelling ideas of like every fairytale EVER since I was a tiny thing. I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH RETELLINGS. And yet I've only ever written one retelling...go figure.

    ANYWAYS. THIS STORY. I looooved the collages. AND DA SNIPPETS. Snow banned the LIBRARY??????? NO WONDER SHE IS EVIL AND NEEDS TO DIE.

    Ahem.

    That last snippet is so powerful. o.o About the sunlight. Wow. I just...I love it! I LOVE ALL OF IT. Congratulations on one year of this story!!!!! *throws confetti and balloons everywhere*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, CHRISTINE! My fingers may or may not be mad at me for making them write 5 drafts in one year - but at least they were only drafts of a novella and not a novel xD.

      *flails* I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY. Your comment has me STUNNED, Lauri! <3 The characters technically could leave, but the ship's ruler won't let them. So they're basically trapped ;). And your impenetrable-cube-city story (Fallen Matter, I think it's called? I could be totally wrong xD) sounds SO COOL. "And yet I've only ever written one retelling...go figure." BUT THAT ONE RETELLING WAS BURNING THORNS, SO WHO CARES *hugs the beautiful thing*. :D

      Haha, should have known all of my bookworm friends would pass out at the thought of a banned library xD. THANK YOU for reading and commenting, Lauri! You made my day ;).

      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  9. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! O_O This is SO GOOD!!! I can't wait 'til this book comes out!!! *cries from happiness*
    I love the snippets!!!! Snow banned the LIBRARY?! Man, that gurl deserves what's comin' to her...
    I am writing a book called Clove and Pearl, and it will probably take HUNDREDS OF YEARS to finish... How did you finish 5 drafts already?!?!?
    I love your description, too. "Sarcasm. Swords and daggers."
    Your characters sound interesting. I have a few...odd characters mixed into my book (and hundreds of other book starters).
    Okay, so I LOVE THE BOOK! I'm getting it as soon as it is released...
    Thanx for the sneak peek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good gracious - THANK YOU, GJE! I can't wait until you're all able to read it :D.

      Clove and Pearl ... that's a cool title! And my five drafts were drafts of a novella, which is shorter than a novel, so that makes a big difference ;).

      Thank you so much, GJE! I'm glad you're excited about Killing Snow :D.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I'ma book worm, so any news of a new book (especially ONE OF YOURS) excites me A LOT!
      Thanx! It's an... interesting book, so I figured the title should reflect the main idea as much as possible. ;)
      Oh, it does, but *still*. Writing a book in general is pretty huge to me! xD

      Delete
    3. Also, would you consider this a Snow White remake?

      Delete
  10. I'm doing Camp NaNo! I'm writing a YA realistic for the first time in my life *is terrified of this prospect* My username is Florid Sword - if you want me to be in your cabin, that'd be great!
    Congrats on a year of writing one project! I've been working on the current first draft I'm doing now for about two months and I'm 60,000 words into it :P *is afraid of editing*
    Your book looks so good - I will absolutely buy it if/when you get it published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you're writing YA realistic? I haven't done much of that before - but I may or may not have had a plot bunny attack me last night for a story that leans more towards YA realistic ;).

      Well, I'm mostly just inviting people that I really know into the cabin - sorry! (but if you do your settings right on the camp website, they'll put you into a cabin ;)) But I'll definitely stalking your stats if you drop me a link to your profile!

      Thank you so much, Florid Sword!

      Delete
  11. *beams* I feel so proud like I alphaed this book y'all be jealous. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHE DID, YOU GUYS. *hands Rachael bragging rights* You're totally getting a free copy if I ever get this thing published xD.

      Delete
  12. This was AWESOME!!! Good job. I wish I could go to Camp NaNoWrimo!!!! *sobs silently* I probably won't but think of me when you're there. :(
    I'm working on a novel called The Silver Lining. I might change the name, but as of now, that's what it's going to be. It's so hard to choose which subjects and situations to put in your book. UGH
    5 DRAFTS?! HoW in the world, girl? I'm gonna kidnap you and use your writing powers for my use. *begs*
    If you want someone to read your book *finished or not* then I'll rate it for you. *hint, hint*
    SNOW TOOK AWAY THE LIBRARY?!?! How can she live with herself? *gasps in disgust*
    Ps: What do you do at Camp NaNoWrimo? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, LHE! And Camp NaNoWriMo is virtual, actually ;). Here's a link to the website, if you want to check it out - http://campnanowrimo.org/

      Ooh, Silver Lining is a very pretty title! And YES it's hard to chose what to put in a story, and what not to.

      Camp NaNoWriMo, even though it's virtual, has a lot of cool stuff you can do - word wars with other people (if you join a cabin, which is full of other writers you can write with), tracking your goals, and they send out encouragement posts every now and then to keep you writing ;). It's lots of fun!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, and Camp NaNoWriMo sounds like fun!
      UGH, it gets so frustrating sometimes. xD Thanks, I'm still debating on whether to keep the title or not. :)
      Do they give you exercises to do, or is it a group thing? :)

      Delete
  13. SAVANNAH WHAT IS THIS FABULOUSNESS. :D
    I'm so excited for you! This sounds amazing and I would love to read it if you ever do get it published!! <3
    I need me some more Cerulean Kane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T KNOW BUT I THINK IT SOMEHOW CAME OUT OF MY BRAIN xD.

      Thank you so much, Madeline! I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of getting this book into the hands of all you awesome people ;).

      Delete
  14. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl, this is scary.........BUT SOOO SOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #loveit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Ellen! I'm glad that you like it so much ;).

      Delete
  15. This sounds so GOOD!!

    Hailey
    haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES YES SAVVY JUST STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR SNIPPETS BECAUSE THEY ARE AMAZING SPECIMENS OF EPICNESS. <3

    Okay so I just want to say that I desperately hope you've got me signed up for beta reading because EEEP YES PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GOOD GRACIOUS - THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your comment made me grin :D. And OF COURSE you'll be signed up - Prill gets automatic sign-up rights xD.

      Delete
  17. A YEAR OF KILLING SNOW WOW YOU ARE AMAZING AND THOSE SNIPPETS AAAHHHH. I actually go back to your novella version sometimes just tread my favorite parts. =) Also.... *flails over the pictures and the cover*

    I hope to beta read your novel soon!

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your comment caused me to pass out, Micaiah *is still reeling*. YOU'RE THE SWEETEST, GIRL. <3 <3

      You'll definitely get to ;). I'm excited to do Camp NaNo with you!

      Delete
  18. You are an amazing writer. I love the premise of the story! And the pictures. I have like twelve different pinterest boards for my story... anyway, for Camp NaNoWriMo this year (actually my first year doing it), I'm editing the book I wrote back in November (also my first time doing NaNoWriMo). my camper profile is http://campnanowrimo.org/campers/jean-ranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Jean! And WHOA that's a lot of Pinterest boards :D. It's so cool that this year is your first year of Camp NaNoWriMo, I'm so excited for you! I'll definitely be stalking your stats ;).

      Delete
  19. Hmmm, will definitely consider doing camp NaNoWriMo, but probably for July (cuz uni will be done for four months - and I'll be in internship instead -.-). I would love to finish my sequel of my Amazon book, but the first one needs A LOT of editing (I'm basically changing the entire relationship dynamic between my two main characters, so yeah). Y'all make me wanna do it in April (But I can't! Finals!)! Aanyways, I'm pumped to see you're planning to send it to an editor later on the road :D I'd love to read it, especially as a novel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, I definitely understand why you won't be doing Camp in April - it sounds like you're going to be super busy! But I hope you'll find time to do it in July (and GRACIOUS, you're changing an entire relationship? That's sounds like it will be hard - but if it's what your story needs, it'll be worth it ;)).

      Thank you so much, Taisha! :D I hope you'll be able to get your hands on it someday ;).

      Delete
  20. EEEEE SO EXCITED FOR THISSSS!!! I can't wait to reeeeead it! :D *jumps around and squeals* Also, all your snippets are so lovely! (that second one though - SO INTENSE.) Can't wait for this! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP THANK YOU SO MUCH, HANNAH! Your comment has me all excited for the day that all of you can read this thing xD. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  21. I just read the first chapter of Killing Snow, Savannah. I. WANT. MORE. UGGHHH!!! Why are chapters so short?! xD

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.