Monthly Highlights - January 2017


January 30, 2017


   I literally (and accidentally) put '2016' on my 'January Highlights' header image when I was making it. Apparently my mind can't wrap around the fact that it's 2017 now xD.


   Am I the only one who both loves writing monthly highlights posts, but cringes at the same time? It's so HARD - but at the same time it's a lot of fun to round up all the things that happened and realize that, hey, this was a pretty good month (albeit a quiet one xD)!


   Actually, not much happened this month. Like I said, it was pretty quiet. Mostly school and writing - and the other, everyday things that were still fun ;).

   - There's been lots of singing - though, this basically happens every month. Our family loves making music together - and it's especially fun when one person breaks into song and the rest of us randomly join in. Sometimes we sing normal songs ... but sometimes one of the family goofballs will make something up, and we'll all end up laughing until we cry. Tons of fun xD. (and lots of listening to the beautiful songs my sister Skylar composes. They're epic)

 
   - Vlogging. Turns out I really like doing this, and Ariel certainly doesn't mind giving me a hand with the taping of a video. Maybe I'll let her make a guest appearance in the next one ;).  


   - Wrote about 5,346 words, not including all of the plotting/brainstorming stuff that I did xD. Most of this was for no story in particular - I just felt like spilling ink. So I did *shrugs*. I'm hoping to write closer to 10k words next month - but next month is going to be pretty full for me, so we'll see if that happens.

   - Lots of musing over a Red Riding Hood retelling that wants to be written. I'm not too sure about it yet (seeing as I really need to get my priorities straight and edit Killing Snow, instead of traipsing off into the wilderness of un-done story ideas), but the characters refuse to give up. So the first draft of that might happen in February.      

   - I wrote a good few pages of story from a random prompt that Hope Ann posted on her blog. Said story seemed to be taking off for a little while, but then I got tired and the thing went nowhere xD. But my sisters thought that what I wrote of it was good, so maybe I'll post some of it on here at some point. However, it was WAY different and kind of darker than what I normally write, so it's probably going to join the pile of 'stories I started but never finished that shan't ever see the light of day' xD.   

ze aforementioned prompt

   ... and you guys are probably wanting a snippet of something-or-other that I wrote this month.  *sighs* *goes to find something vaguely suitable* (this is unedited, to make you aware) 


   And yep, that's it - hurry away and forget I showed that to you xD. 


+ five others I couldn't get pics of
   17 books - not as many as I planned to read, but not a bad amount either. And basically all of the books were EPIC so I don't really care xD.

   - (whole series) Threshold by Christa Kinde. I almost consider this series one of those 'hidden gems' of the book world. It isn't super well-known, but it is one of my favorite series in the whole stinkin' world (right up there with LotR, Harry Potter, and such). I've re-read them so many times - and I don't re-read too often, so that means a good deal coming from me. The characters are so incredible, and I definitely had a huge case of story hangover when I finished. I just needed more. It's a five star series for certain. 

   - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. So I know I talked about the Hunger Games series in one of my other Monthly Highlights posts - but I had to come back to this one. I have complained about it being a kind of confusing last book, but guess what? It's actually much better on a re-read. As I re-read, I loved this book just about as much as the others. Definitely a 4 1/2 star book on the second go-round.

   - Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. One of the only realistic fiction books that I adore and will re-read. I think this was my second or third time reading it (I guess this was a month of re-reading for me? Huh. Odd.) and I still love it. I don't normally give realistic fiction books five stars, but this one deserves every one of them.

   I also started alpha-ing Soleil's story, Changeling. I love beta/alpha-ing stories, and Soleil's is really good - and she hasn't even edited it since NaNoWriMo (and OH BOY is she brave to let me read her bare-bones draft) so I'm super excited to see where it goes after this.

collage she made for Changeling = EPICNESS
 

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-girl-in-mirror.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/q-vlog-part-2.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/cover-reveal-martin-hospitality.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-to-liven-up-your-mentor-my-guest.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-inspire-me-tag.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/blogger-design-making-centering-and.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/four-months-and-new-ideas-blog-survey.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/beautiful-books-2017-writing-goals.html

http://scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-to-liven-up-your-leader-character.html


   - Sarah Margaret finished her novel and got physical copies of it *squeals*.

   - Hannah White posted about the importance of vulnerability in characters (her posts are GOALS, people. Every time.).

   - Katie Grace gave us a huge dose of encouragement for editing that I NEEDED SO BAD.

   - Tracey Dyck did two GORGEOUS posts that I can't even explain (because they caused me to lose all the words in my brain) so just go read this and this.

   - Julia Ryan wrote a beautiful short story based off of one of her poems.

   - Nadine Brandes wrote an epic post about your age being defined by your attitude, not a number.

   - An incredible post on Burning Youth stunned me again (basically every post on Burning Youth does this to me. But I'll just link to one, no? OH WAIT - this one too. Can't help it xD).


   - The next post in my character building series, which may or may not have to do with villain characters ;).

   - At least one tag, seeing as I'm getting behind on the things I've been tagged for xD.

   - Maybe a post of First Lines (inspired by one of Tracey's posts) from my stories. But we'll see about that one, as most of my first lines are horrendous, un-edited monsters. 

the poor un-edited thing *shakes head*
   That one 'tis a wee bit better than the others - BUT STILL.

   So that was my January in a nutshell - and it looks like the first month of 2017 might be the calm before the storm. I'm super excited to see what the next month brings! (probably edits of Killing Snow. But I'm pretending I don't know that. *continues to be oblivious*)

~ Savannah Grace

   Did any cool things happen for you this month? What was one of your favorite posts you read in January?

53 comments :

  1. You had a calm January? *collapses on the ground panting* My January was hectic and too fast and I'm still trying to sum it up in a coherent post.

    *exhales* ;-)

    That's so awesome that you read 17 books!!!! I feel so far behind on all my reading goals, but wow. I can't even find that many books I want to read!! (Goodreads daunts me. lol)

    BURNING YOUTH'S POSTS ARE THE BEST. Hands down. If I need one of "those" posts, I'm heading over to Burning Youth. My favorite this past month has been "I Dare You." What's yours?

    Great wrap-up!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - suppose I'm lucky then? xD

      I was aiming for closer to thirty books but I guess that was HIGHLY unrealistic, with school and all needing to be done. But I AM hoping to hit at least 20 book in February *nodnod*. Ooh, I hope you find some good ones soon! If you ever need suggestions ... ;)

      YES, OH GRACIOUS. Basically if I ever need to feel inspired, I hop right over there and THEY NEVER FAIL. "I Dare You' was epic, I loved that one <3. My favorite? Wow that's hard - but I think it was "when you don't like your dream".

      Delete
  2. dude. I love your monthly posts

    AND YES LET ARIEL BE IN A VIDEO K YEP YOU ARE DOING IT

    *dies over your snippets* WHY CAN YOU HAVE SUCH WORD POWERS #jealous oh well. I'll just have to be content with my time powers *flicks hair and runs off*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME - your's are epic. Thank you, Sare!

      WELL if you put it that way xD. *narrows eyes at Ariel and starts planning*

      *whaps you for stealing all the time powers* xD AWK, THANK YOU, SARE. <3 So glad you liked them! :D

      Delete
  3. OHMYGOSH. WHAT EVEN. I THOUGHT THAT I MADE UP THE THRESHOLD SERIES IN MY MIND BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE. Woah. That is so crazy. I read it for the first time when I was 11, and then followed it as each new book came out, but then I forgot about it and couldn't find it anymore. I was 100% convinced that it was a figment of my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps* YOU'RE KIDDING, oh good gracious. So glad I helped you remember them again! ;) (and isn't it so weird when something you THOUGHT you made up turns out to be real? It's almost creepy sometimes xD)

      Delete
  4. Wow, the first month of 2017 is nearly over already!

    Monthly wrap-ups area always fun, but I think my overall favourite piece of this one would have to be that Firefly snippet. Yes, I know you've asked that I forget it, but I've enjoyed it too much for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading people's wrap-ups, it's so much fun! And OH MY - thank you so much, Blue! Even if I DID ask you to forget it - I'm super glad you enjoyed it xD.

      Delete
  5. I'm a little in shock that we're already a month into 2017. Craziness I tell ya!

    That's so fun that your family loves to sing together! You should do a video of you guys singing. That'd be awesome!!!

    You're considering a Red Riding Hood story??? OOOOOH!!! I've always wanted to write one of those. That story just has so much potential. One I'd think would be fun to play with. I just know you'd make an amazing one!

    And, um, SAVANNAH GRACE. DAT SNIPPET. Don't you even dare be worried about sharing that because AAAAHHHHH!!!!!! Literally when I was reading it my brain was going, "This is GOOD. This is so good. SO GOOD." It just...it makes me want to eat the words and soak them up! YOU ARE A WRITING GENIUS. If that's your first draft, I can't even imagine what your edited drafts look like. o.o

    I have never heard of the Threshold series... Obviously I need to check these things out!
    I agree that Mockingjay is an amazing reread! I, erm, may have read the whole Hunger Games trilogy 5 times. *COUGH* Not that I'm obsessed or anything... *whistles innocently*
    AND ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. Man, I adore that whole series! It's been yeeeears since I've read them. I really must do a reread sometime myself. I agree, realistic fiction is not my thing, but those books are something special.

    ANOTHER SNIPPET. AND THIS ONE IS GORGEOUS TOO. SAVANNAH YOU ARE AMAZING.

    I'd totally be allllll for you sharing more writing on here, whether it's flash fiction pieces or your first lines or or or ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP, CHRISTINE *blushes* I'm so glad that you liked it! <3 I'm working on writing more of The Firefly, so you MIGHT be getting more snippets of that at some time or another ;). YOU ARE THE NICEST, GIRL *hugs*.

      Yup, you do - my sisters and I love them. And FIVE TIMES, oh gracious. I don't know if I've ever re-read ANY books that much xD.

      *dies* Oh goodness, I just can't xD. THANK YOU, Lauri! <3

      I MIGHT share some more - if I can find anything that's suitable and won't kill me to share. Unedited words are scary little monsters xD.

      Delete
  6. I have a very sad bookish January to report. I read, like, two books. IT'S SO DEPRESSING. I've been spending all the spare time I'd normally use for reading to write and I'm in the middle of a Tales of Goldstone Wood book and I JUST CAN'T GET THE READING TIME. *sobbing*

    On the other hand, my writing has been going great, and I've written 31k for my novel this month which is SUPER. I've really been enjoying it heaps, too which is super super. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWO BOOKS *gives you cookies and more books (and a time machine) to help with the depression* Ooh, which TOGW book is it? I LOVE Anne Elisabeth's books.

      31k, WHAT. That's more than I wrote for Camp last year *dies*. YOU ARE EPIC - and all those words totally made up for your lack of reading ;).

      Delete
  7. My January has been good - as far as writing is concerned. I started writing my new book, and it's going pretty smoothly... I still need advice on my characters, though. Hint, hint... xD
    The Threshhold series is great! I haven't read Hunger Games, though. I WANT TO!!! *sobs* The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are definitely on my list, too. <3
    Your videos are great! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you started a new book? That's so cool! *highfive* I LOVE first drafts. What kinds of characters do you want to know more about? I've got a villains post lined up already, but I'm open to ideas for what the next posts should be ;).

      Isn't it? I love that series - and you should definitely read Hunger Games + The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings. I love all of those, too <3.

      Glad you enjoy them! There shall definitely be more ;).

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the Threshhold series!!!! xD
    My writing is going pretty well. I keep changing things and getting different ideas. Do you have any tips on how to get a book done? :)
    I would really appreciate any tips. :)
    I would definitely love to see another one of your vlogs. I hope Ariel makes an appearance. xD
    Well, I watched an amazing movie this week (Born to Win). I wish this month would slow down. *pant pant*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a plan to write more this summer. Last summer, I read tons of books. (59 books to be exact)
      I really want to finish my book this year. I wanted to finish it sooner, but it just didn't happen.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, YAY more friends that love Threshold :D.

      My biggest advice would be to take a break when you need it (you'll get burned out if you work too hard) and don't be afraid to experiment - it will make writing the book a lot more fun. Oh, and set goals! Goals help me A TON when it comes to finishing a book (100 words a day is a pretty good one). I should write a post on finishing books sometime ... thanks for the idea!

      Delete
    3. I know, right! =)
      You're welcome! Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely use this to help me. :)
      How many books have you done again? Have any of them been published?
      -LHE

      Delete
    4. You're welcome! Glad I could help ;).
      How many? More than I can count xD. None of them have been published, but I hope they will be some day :).

      Delete
    5. So do I. :)
      I want to read them! xD

      Delete
  9. hoooOOOOWWWW DO YOU READ SO MUCH THOUGH?? xD Share with us your secrets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cackles and hides my time machine in the basement* never telling xD

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a great month!
    Oh man! I'm excited for your future ramblings!! Villains? Oooh. . .
    And I want that first lines post! It sounds epic! Your story snippets are always amazing, no matter what you say to the contrary. You could try making that into a tag. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure was! The villains post is being a bit hard to write (but then, what was I expecting?) but it should be up in the next week or two ;).

      It will either be epic or highly embarrassing, seeing as I've never edited a book except for Killing Snow xD. But I suppose we'll see!

      Delete
    2. Yes, villains are really hard! I can't wait to read what you come up with!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, your writing gave me chills! I love that snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a great post, my friend! Somehow you found stuff to post about this month, heehee...BUT IT WAS AWESOME STUFF.
    GIRL. DAT SNIPPET. WUUUUUUUT. *flails*
    And the first post you linked to on Burning Youth? Oh me. MY POOR HEART. Why do you have to do this to meeeeeee? xD
    Great post, Savannah! FEBRUARY IS GOING TO BE THE EPICEST. (and not because my birthday is in it, no sirree, why would you think such a preposterous thing....? ;))
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, even quiet months can be awesome months *nodnod*.
      AWK, you're the nicest *flails with you*. (and maybe you'll get a sneak peek at the rest of that story, no?)

      Burning Youth is basically the best. How did I ever live without that blog xD.

      *thinks no such preposterous thing* xD

      Delete
  13. Ariel, I LOVE your comments. xD
    I really hope that you and Savannah do another video.
    -LHE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee, you're the bestest. =D
      Me toooo... *side eye at Savannah* xD
      -Ariel

      Delete
    2. You and Savannah make the bestest vlogs I've ever seen. xD
      Keep up the comments!
      Yes, Ariel and Savannah, pleased do. *trying my best to be extra persuasive* =D
      -LHE
      I love your name by the way! :)

      Delete
    3. AWK. *hugs you* But seriously, this girl? *points at Savannah* SO much more well-spoken than me. Not. Even. Kidding. xD
      Will do! =)
      I knowwww...I would try my best to persuade her. BUT she won't let me pester her, heehee. Maybe if we both tried to persuade her mentally, something could happen... xD
      THANK YOU YOU AWESOME HUMAN BEAN. <3
      -Ariel

      Delete
    4. I'm with LHE, Ariel! You need to make an appearance in the next vlog... =D *begging puppy dog eyes*

      Delete
    5. I'm with GJE and LHE! You HAVE to make an appearance in the next vlog, sis! =D PLEASE!!?? * BIG PUPPY DOG EYES*

      This was a great post, Savannah!
      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
    6. I know!!! *hugging you and smiling excitedly* xD
      Your welcome, you awesome background person! <3 Well, you guys are doing great, so keep up the good work. =)
      -LHE

      Delete
    7. You're welcome!!!! xD

      Delete
    8. Haha, I'm glad you guys like the vlogs! And I'm totally not telling you that Ariel and I are planning a vlog in which she appears, because THAT is a secret. Yup xD.

      Delete
    9. You and Ariel are sisters? And I am totally hoping that you do! *wink, wink*
      xD
      -LHE

      Delete
    10. @Savannah: EEEEEEEP you said yes!!! It's actually official now!
      (hey, LHE, maybe our mental convincing did work after all ;))
      -Ariel

      Delete
    11. EEEEEEEEEEP!!! ARIEL YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN THE VLOG, HURRAY!!!!!!
      Jaidyn Elise
      P.S. Thanks for your mental convincing, LHE and Ariel!

      Delete
    12. Yes, I believe it did, Ariel! xD ;)
      HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be looking forward to it. =)
      -LHE
      Jaidyn Elise, Ariel did most of the work. xD

      Delete
    13. I'm sure you both did your best to convince her. =) Great work, girls!
      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
    14. I KNOW I CAN'T WAIT EITHER!!!!! (she's gonna be posting it this afternoon... *runs around in circles screaming*)
      -Ariel

      Delete
    15. EEP!!!!!!! You don't know HOW EXCITED I am for y'all to see the video!! =) * squeals*
      Jaidyn Elise

      Delete
    16. Seriously?! This afternoon? I can't wait! ;)
      Ariel, your mental convincing did the trick.
      -LHE

      Delete
  14. That's so awesome that you and your family love singing/playing music together! I myself love music, but none of my family can sing or play music. But we all still love it. <3

    I've been looking to add a good fantasy series to my tbr-list, and Threshold seems like a really good one. I'm definitely going to be checking that! :)
    Also, I don't really like realistic fiction much either, but I LOVE Anne of Green Gables too!

    Yay, I can't wait to see that villainous character post!! *dances* I may or may not have a unhealthy love for villains. XD

    OMGOSH THAT LAST SNIPPET SAVANNAH. *dies* That is AWESOME. PLEASE do a post of first lines! (I saw Tracey's post too, it's AMAZING.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun - though most of the musical talent went to my sister, Skylar xD. She has a awesome voice, and her music is GOALS. But that never stops us from gathering to make a 'joyful noise' together ;).

      Ooh, yes, definitely add Threshold! I actually wasn't going to read those books (the first few chapters didn't capture me) but OH BOY am I glad I kept going :D.

      Even if villains ARE villains ... I sometimes like them, too xD.

      OH GRACIOUS - THANK YOU, MADELINE! And I probably will - if I work up the courage to share them, haha :D.

      Delete
  15. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girl, this is epicness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That picture prompt though........*flails* I can't even. I'm picturing a very handsome somebody underneath that hood........;-P *dies from snickering* *falls off chair* *can't stop cackling*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have known you'd think something like that xD. Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  16. Okay, you've had such an incredible reading month. Seventeen books? I've done ten less than that! That's partially because of the required reading I had this month, but now that it's all finished, my reading schedule is liberated and I'm happy again.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morning! xD I MAY or may not have been a little book-crazy during January. Ugh, I can't stand required reading. Unless the book is REALLY good, of course ;). Nothing beats a good book!

      Delete
  17. OH MOCKINGJAY IS A WONDERFUL BOOK! I'm glad you enjoyed it more the second time around! =D And a Red Riding Hood retelling!? *raises hand to beta read*

    Changeling looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

I love when my readers leave a comment or three (so thank you if you do!)! But keep 'em clean, because I don't want to need to delete them. And check back - I always try to reply.